The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Powerplay drop pass and all our eggs in one basket

TheWheeler

One extremely frustrating aspect of Vancouvers game this year for me was the powerplay, especially in the playoffs. That drop pass absolutely infuriated me.

Ya, it was effective in the regular season, but it seemed like it got figured out really easily come playoffs.

So I was wondering, do you think there will be a change to our powerplay structure this year?

And also, would it be better for the team to NOT put all our big guns on the first unit (Sedins + Kesler) and have Kesler actually center the 2nd unit?

Let's discuss!

Looks like we only have 2 or 3 ways to enter the zone on the PP in this preference:

1) Drop pass at center ice to a streaking forward who busts through the defence.

2) Pass from center to Daniel standing at the blueline who walks the puck in (actually our most successful, safest option)

3) 2nd powerplay unit (rarely) dumps the puck and chases from the blueline.

The Canucks are becoming less of a skilled puck-possession team lately and more of a grinding, tough team with plenty of powerforwards, so I'd like to see us dump the puck more often, chase hard and win puck battles down low. This is because if the focus is on the puck behind the net, it's just one pass to the blueline and we have a golden scoring chance with a defenceman practically wide open at the point who, if it's Garrison, is almost guaranteed to score.

Use this PP:

Daniel - Kesler - Henrik (either Kes or Hank can play center)

Edler - Garrison

- Daniel and Henrik control it all and move the puck.

- Kesler works infront of the net

- Garrison is open for the big shot

- Edler can work with the twins and move the puck around, he also has a big shot

We should try different things for our breakouts, dump-in, drop passes, passing to the side then moving in.

Just don't do the same one repeatly, change it up so the teams don't know what to expect, I wouldn't mind more dump-in's though.

The drop-pass play isn't dumb...just easily figured out by other teams b/c of its high frequency in recent memory. If we do this once every few games, it's really effective and keeps everyone guessing...I think the dump-&-chase should be used often (most easily executed, and sometimes, it's the more simpler play that works), along with at least 2 other entry plays, reserving the drop-pass when we really need it.

One problem is when they put Kesler on the first unit he spends most of his time standing in front of the net. Nothing wrong with that, but they could use a guy like Kassian for that job, who is big, strong, and can finish. Kesler should be used in a spot where he will have more chances to shoot the puck, he has a great shot. The Edler drop pass is very effective but they do have a number of different power play break outs as does every NHL club, the eggs are not all in one basket.

Use this PP:

Daniel - Kesler - Henrik (either Kes or Hank can play center)

Edler - Garrison

- Daniel and Henrik control it all and move the puck.

- Kesler works infront of the net

- Garrison is open for the big shot

- Edler can work with the twins and move the puck around, he also has a big shot

We should try different things for our breakouts, dump-in, drop passes, passing to the side then moving in.

Just don't do the same one repeatly, change it up so the teams don't know what to expect, I wouldn't mind more dump-in's though.

I think Kesler should center the should center the 2nd unit. Anyone can play the PP with the sedins, so why not put more skill on the 2nd unit with burr-kes-higg. Lapierre (or kassian even) is a capable passer and is willing to go to the tough areas (ie front of the net). I just feel kesler's skill is being under utilized

The Kings sure figured out how to exploit these little drop passes...

I think they need to get rid of it, but if they are to use it, use it far more discriminately, and make sure it's not being made by the last two guys back on the play.

I like the sounds of Jagermeister's play-by-play...

We're still lacking that d-man who can quarterback the powerplay (i.e., Campbell, Doughty, Keith, Niedermayer-type), but I realize that those kind of players are hard to find.

With Daniel back in the line-up, the PP should be much better, and I suppose that we can't complain too much of having the 4th best PP pct. last year (though the PP pretty much went in the toilet in the second half of the season).

Drop pass pros:

- If the D is caught off guard, it's an easy entry with speed and potential chances off the rush

- Decent odds of success (i.e. gaining the zone)

- With good timing, forces the D to play a little less aggressively because of the threat of oncoming speed

- If the opponent tries to be a smartass and leave a forward deep, pass the puck up and get easier entry

- Potentially a very safe tactic if players can count (i.e. figure out if there's a forward lurking)

Cons:

- Ineffective and risky as a go-to play

- Some of our players don't count or communicate, leading to giveaways

I really see no problem with having the drop pass as an option rather than a strategy. If successful, the drop pass is very dangerous, so the penalty killers have to respect the possibility of it. That means alternate tactics can be created to counter the drop pass counters, likely including taking advantage of the opposing forward in deeper than they should be.

Archived