The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Powerplay drop pass and all our eggs in one basket

TheWheeler

The drop pass is very effective if you can catch the other team by surprise. The problem came from doing it so often the the other teams simply played for the drop pass. Mix it up more and it will become effective again.

I'd prefer to see Kesler back on the second PP unit. As good as he was two years ago on the first unit he was considerably less effective last season. The main reason though is how ineffective the 2nd PP unit has been these past two seasons without Kesler.

I think there is a logical reason to put Ryan back to playing the half boards on the second unit but then a problem arises.

AV will have to revert back to his 2010 PP set up and only give 1 minute each , so in effect the Sedins are now getting shorted on their most effective ice time.

Kesler himself earned his PP time so he cant be relegated back to 30 seconds of PP time . So to solve the problem he stuck Kesler on the ice with sedins and run them 1:30 seconds.

I think he will continue this.

One extremely frustrating aspect of Vancouvers game this year for me was the powerplay, especially in the playoffs. That drop pass absolutely infuriated me.

Ya, it was effective in the regular season, but it seemed like it got figured out really easily come playoffs.

So I was wondering, do you think there will be a change to our powerplay structure this year?

And also, would it be better for the team to NOT put all our big guns on the first unit (Sedins + Kesler) and have Kesler actually center the 2nd unit?

Let's discuss!

I don't really like the idea of having one stacked unit and one terrible unit powerplay, they should be divided more evenly so that if the sedins don't score, the 2nd unit still has a chance.

I'd like to see

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Ballard Garrison

-Have Kassian planted in front to bang in goals. Ballard on the point gives a good option with his skating and he plays most similair to campbell.

Booth Doan?

Burrows Edler Kesler

-have burrows dishing the puck to Edler and Kesler, with Booth and Doan/Higgins in front. As we seen last year Kesler was not infront of the net as muc, so let him shoot wristers from the circle.

I disagree with the OP's (and many others) take on the drop pass. IMO, it was an effective and innovative play, but Edler did a very poor job of executing it against the Kings.

I saw other teams copy the ploy throughout the season and used properly, it's a good tactic for entering the opposing zone. I should not be used in the defensive zone.

Also, I wouldn't break up the first unit. Yes, their production did tail off in the last half of the season, but I think they're still one of the more dangerous units in the league. I'd slot Garrison into Salo's spot and see how he does.

They need a power fwd to create havoc in front of net, but since we don't have one capable of scoring, Kesler is the answer. I think it falls on sedins hands, they need to be versatile, meaning if it's not working to keep things simple and get shots on net for rebounds. But it's hard to tell passers to do that, the onus is on the pp coaches I would think.

This exactly, we need kesler doing what he does best in front of the net while garrison and Edler unload shots from the point. Daniel and henrik are there to move the puck around so that garrison and Edler have space to fire their shots.

The zone entry needs a redo, or they need to mix it up. I mean the drop pass whether they do it or not doesn't matter, the real repetitive thing they do is that they do this little 5 foot pass at the blue line. If you do the same thing for months, teams figure it out. I mean it wasn't just the playoffs folks, the PP was on the decline for the better part of 3 months. Maybe we need to start using Higgins or Hansen to dump and chase with the 2nd PP unit a bit more.

Other things I want to see this year. I want to see less Umbrella and Kesler being wasted in front of the net. Kesler should be a shooter, not the guy in front. I think Kassian would be better suited for that role. Less chance for a tip, but more of a chance for a screen, which is better if you have guys like Kesler and Garrison shooting the puck.

With Kesler out to start the year I'm hoping that some of these changes will be tried. But this is the same coaching staff that didn't change anything last year dispite the fact nothing had worked for months. I guess time will tell.

Obviously the Canucks coaching will have to look at different breakout options and change it up to keep teams honest. As for the PP units, I am really tired of having the Sedins play with kesler on the 1st, it leaves nothing for our 2nd unit which means other teams know the just have to load up their 1st unit PK and they won't be scored on. I would...

Dank-Hank-Kassian or Burrows

Edler-Garrison

2nd

may-ray/Higgins-Kesler-Booth

Ballard-Bieksa

Archived