Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Powerplay drop pass and all our eggs in one basket

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
58 replies to this topic

#31 Conscience

Conscience

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:58 AM

I don't really like the idea of having one stacked unit and one terrible unit powerplay, they should be divided more evenly so that if the sedins don't score, the 2nd unit still has a chance.
I'd like to see

Sedin Sedin Kassian
Ballard Garrison

-Have Kassian planted in front to bang in goals. Ballard on the point gives a good option with his skating and he plays most similair to campbell.

Booth Doan?
Burrows Edler Kesler

-have burrows dishing the puck to Edler and Kesler, with Booth and Doan/Higgins in front. As we seen last year Kesler was not infront of the net as muc, so let him shoot wristers from the circle.
Dwight Schrute: Where is my desk?
Jim Halpert: That is weird.
Dwight Schrute: This is not funny. This is totally unprofessional.
Jim Halpert: Okay, well you're the one who lost the desk.
Dwight Schrute: I did not lose my desk!
Jim Halpert: Okay, calm down. Where was the last place you saw it?
Dwight Schrute: Okay, who moved my desk!
Jim Halpert: I think you should retrace your steps.

#32 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,834 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:59 AM

I disagree with the OP's (and many others) take on the drop pass. IMO, it was an effective and innovative play, but Edler did a very poor job of executing it against the Kings.

I saw other teams copy the ploy throughout the season and used properly, it's a good tactic for entering the opposing zone. I should not be used in the defensive zone.

Also, I wouldn't break up the first unit. Yes, their production did tail off in the last half of the season, but I think they're still one of the more dangerous units in the league. I'd slot Garrison into Salo's spot and see how he does.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#33 Bob Singh

Bob Singh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:54 AM

"Pass to Garrison, Slap Shot... SCORES!"
This will probably be our biggest change.

thats are only chance if we keep playing like we were. we really need to pick things up.
Posted Image
Credit for "Great Save Luongo" sig goes to -Vintage Canuck-
Credit for Olympic sig goes to Motzaburger.

#34 Walking Paradox

Walking Paradox

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:30 AM

EDIT: I didn't mean to post in this thread...

Edited by Walking Paradox, 09 July 2012 - 11:30 AM.

#35 Gonz

Gonz

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:33 PM

They need a power fwd to create havoc in front of net, but since we don't have one capable of scoring, Kesler is the answer. I think it falls on sedins hands, they need to be versatile, meaning if it's not working to keep things simple and get shots on net for rebounds. But it's hard to tell passers to do that, the onus is on the pp coaches I would think.

Edited by Gonz, 09 July 2012 - 12:34 PM.

#36 RWMc1

RWMc1

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:39 PM

This exactly, we need kesler doing what he does best in front of the net while garrison and Edler unload shots from the point. Daniel and henrik are there to move the puck around so that garrison and Edler have space to fire their shots.

I don't like Kesler in front on the PP. He takes too much abuse and gets banged up and /or injured. He is too important to this team and we have other players we could try in front. The main problem on the PP is indecision and poor timing.

Vancouver Canucks Stanley Cup Champions 2014/15 So let it be written, So let it be done!

My Cup Runneth. Go get it and bring it here!

Cupquester "Who are those horrible little men?"

#37 cmccomb

cmccomb

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:54 PM

The zone entry needs a redo, or they need to mix it up. I mean the drop pass whether they do it or not doesn't matter, the real repetitive thing they do is that they do this little 5 foot pass at the blue line. If you do the same thing for months, teams figure it out. I mean it wasn't just the playoffs folks, the PP was on the decline for the better part of 3 months. Maybe we need to start using Higgins or Hansen to dump and chase with the 2nd PP unit a bit more.

Other things I want to see this year. I want to see less Umbrella and Kesler being wasted in front of the net. Kesler should be a shooter, not the guy in front. I think Kassian would be better suited for that role. Less chance for a tip, but more of a chance for a screen, which is better if you have guys like Kesler and Garrison shooting the puck.

With Kesler out to start the year I'm hoping that some of these changes will be tried. But this is the same coaching staff that didn't change anything last year dispite the fact nothing had worked for months. I guess time will tell.

#38 Nancouver

Nancouver

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:00 PM

I wanted to punch my tv every time edler did one of those stupid drop passes. What do people say about doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results? So frustrating.

#39 Vertikal

Vertikal

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:11 PM

Obviously the Canucks coaching will have to look at different breakout options and change it up to keep teams honest. As for the PP units, I am really tired of having the Sedins play with kesler on the 1st, it leaves nothing for our 2nd unit which means other teams know the just have to load up their 1st unit PK and they won't be scored on. I would...

Dank-Hank-Kassian or Burrows
Edler-Garrison

2nd
may-ray/Higgins-Kesler-Booth
Ballard-Bieksa
We'll always remember you Bobby Lu!

QUOTE (Spinnaker @ Sep 11 2008, 07:08 AM)
"Watching Burrows play is like watching Gladiator for the first time. It's kinda badass."

#40 luongo_01

luongo_01

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:52 PM

Drop pass failed a lot because Ehrror wasn't there to promote it. The guy may have had his defensive flaws but offensively he was incredibly unpredictable and caught a ton of PK units off guard.
Posted Image

#41 luongo_01

luongo_01

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:53 PM

As for the units, if we get Doan... Doan-Twins-Edler-Garrison PP1, Kes-Booth-Burr-Higgins-Bieksa PP2. Four-fwd set in unit 2.
Posted Image

#42 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:08 PM

Obviously the Canucks coaching will have to look at different breakout options and change it up to keep teams honest. As for the PP units, I am really tired of having the Sedins play with kesler on the 1st, it leaves nothing for our 2nd unit which means other teams know the just have to load up their 1st unit PK and they won't be scored on. I would...

Edler-Garrison

2nd
Ballard-Bieksa

Putting Kesler on the second unit means the Sedins can only stay out for one minute so Kesler can also have his minute. Thats what we used to do.

To solve that, we stuck them together so they can have virtually all the time which helped our PP . I strongly suggest we keep them together so that the Sedins and Kesler are all happy and they stay out as long as possible.
Posted Image

#43 thehamburglar

thehamburglar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:16 PM

Get Ballard on the second power play. I'm still on this.

But we need to try something else.
Posted Image

#44 derr12

derr12

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:16 PM

Linesman says hi.... and offside.

Or maybe we load everyone into the offensive zone and Schneider lobs a hell mary and some one catches it! Everyone laughs and has fun.

#45 aqua59

aqua59

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,026 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:28 PM

Really why bring it up what's to discuss?

#46 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:33 PM

Sedin-Sedin-Doan
Garrison-Edler

Booth-Kesler-Higgins
Ballard-Bieksa

:bigblush:
Posted Image

#47 kmotamed

kmotamed

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:46 PM

Ehrhoff!?!?

#48 TheWestCoastConnection

TheWestCoastConnection

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:05 PM

I think the team has realized the drop pass doesn't work often, i would surprised if we don't see a new power play structure or at least a new variant of last years.

I don't find Kesler with the Sedins to be an issue though because they usually are on the ice for the majority of the PP and we have players who are capable of stepping up on the second unit (Burrows, Higgins for example).
Posted Image

#49 ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:18 PM

Two seasons ago when our PP was at the absolute top of its power the drop pass was only used occasionally. Last season we used it too much and teams started sitting on it, the guys needed to mix it up a little, especially the drop-pass to the last guy back was a very dangerous play by the midpoint of the season as opponents expected it. Gotta work on carrying the puck across the blueline and getting set up, less drop passes and when there are drop-passes, it should be the first guy in dropping it for the second or third, not the first D dropping it to the last guy back.

Ceterum censeo Chicaginem delendam esse

#50 MANGO

MANGO

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:31 PM

Personaly, I would only play the Sedins together on the PP. And I would be spreading the TALENT.....around and rolling 4 lines when it comes too 5 on 5.
Posted Image

formerly......puck n icehole

#51 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:39 PM

very nice
Posted Image

#52 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:06 PM

Twins - Booth

Kassian - Kesler - Higgins (plant Zack in front of the net, so either Kes or Higgins handles the puck from the sides, or Zack can drop short passes in front for Kes or Higgins to snipe from in close; they can also work the corners well as a unit)

or alternatively, if it really struggles I'd be willing to try

Burr - Hank - Booth

Danny - Kes - Higgins

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#53 TACIC

TACIC

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,362 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:12 PM

Edler-Garrison

2nd
Ballard-Bieksa

dank and hank?😃
that just made my day
AUmxe4h.gif
Credit to JimLahey for this awesome sig

TACIC

Yes i am a Leafs fan too, DEAL WITH IT!!

Go Canucks Go!

#54 Jester@wraiths.ca

Jester@wraiths.ca

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,226 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:47 PM

The change will be whether or not AV allows the big shot to play in one timing position.

If he plays him like he played Salo on the PP (NOT in easy one timing alignment) then Garrison's shooting percentage will come down and end up in the 6% range (with less goals). Salo's shooting percentage had a change of about 3% when he got a season of one timing from the left side compared to when AV kept him over at the right side on PP...

I just hope AV uses the guy where his shot will be most dangerous.

#55 nucksfan#2

nucksfan#2

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:30 PM

Drop pass is only effective once in a while...the main problem is that we need to get through the neutral zone with good speed to back off the PKers. Also we'll need Garrison and Edler to beat the bejesus out of the puck.

#56 surtur

surtur

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:04 PM

just give it to Edler and let him go Coast to Coast and score...... or does that only work against CBJ?

Release The KraKassian
Kassianthe_Krakensm.jpg

#57 LegionOfDoom

LegionOfDoom

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:05 AM

Hansen is one of the best Canucks at turning pucks over in the offensive zone to our possession, throw him on second unit dump chase soon as he turns it over get in front of the net, better than failing to skate it in, maybe even Raymond kesler Hansen, that's a lot of speed

#58 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:31 AM

so I'd like to see us dump the puck more often, chase hard and win puck battles down low. This is because if the focus is on the puck behind the net, it's just one pass to the blueline and we have a golden scoring chance with a defenceman practically wide open at the point who, if it's Garrison, is almost guaranteed to score.

We signed garrison not karlsson lol

#59 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,834 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:34 AM

The change will be whether or not AV allows the big shot to play in one timing position.

If he plays him like he played Salo on the PP (NOT in easy one timing alignment) then Garrison's shooting percentage will come down and end up in the 6% range (with less goals). Salo's shooting percentage had a change of about 3% when he got a season of one timing from the left side compared to when AV kept him over at the right side on PP...

I just hope AV uses the guy where his shot will be most dangerous.

I know you're not an AV fan Jester, but criticizing the wrong guy doesn't strengthen your argument, it weakens it.

Newell Brown gets the PP credit or criticism. AV gets the gum chewing and not using timeouts criticism.

Glad I could clear that up for you.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.