The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thoughts on Rollie the Goalie Coach...

disisdayear

I remember a couple of years ago when camp was in Penticton.

Of particular interest to me was how different Luongo and Schneider looked when doing basic drills.

In particular, that move where the inside knee goes down and the other stays tall up against the post to cover up short side shots from the corner.

It's funny. When I read your OP this is the first image that popped into my head.

Schneider looked totally solid. Almost robotic, when doing that drill. (Rollie would take shots from the corner or come around the net, skate out, then shoot from an angle)

I know some people are going to see this as me hating on Luongo, but I'm just reporting what I saw. Luongo doing the same drill looked loose and jangly... almost like he was struggling because his pads weren't strapped tight enough. It was like he was moving too much unnecessarily.

Take that for what it is....

My thoughts on Rollie? Well these are all professional players. They don't really need to be "taught" anything. Sometimes there is a bad habit that has developed due to some tendency, or a little tweak here and there that may be delivered as advice or a "hey try this" kind of thing.

IMO goalie "coaches" are less "coaches" and more "advisers"

Lu was fantastic until Rolly got here. Every goalie has weakness in their style. But that is the style that they are comfortable playing with. I never understood this need to change they way he plays, after Rolly, Lu always seamed awkward in net.

Lu was fantastic until Rolly got here. Every goalie has weakness in their style. But that is the style that they are comfortable playing with. I never understood this need to change they way he plays, after Rolly, Lu always seamed awkward in net.

i dont think luongo has been the same since he blew out his groin vs pittsburgh in that afternoon game.

MAybe the 08-09 season?

His lateral movement and quickness post to post used to be impeccable and now he spends more time compensating for that, then anything. Also what really sticks out for me is his inability to track and cover rebounds around the crease. Its almost like hes nearsighted.

Archived