The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If we go into next season.............

Bodee

with Garrison and the two AHL defenders..............will we in your opinion be competitive come playoff time?

If the answer is NO what realistically would shore us up for the playoffs? I have a feeling if no one is prepared to give us our asking price for Lu OR Schneider then we will stand pat. Are they our only realistic chips?

How would this make you view even the lifting of another PT. If we bomb in the Conference but make playoffs, only to perform badly, is it the end for this team?

I still feel we need a big two way defender like Sbisa or better.

I would like us to acquire Arnott at least for the 2nd and then in due course the 3rd line.

I would like someone like Ryan / Perry or at a pinch Doan to take the physical pressure off the Sedins.

In the pot but not with a view to losing all of them I would be prepared to offer, Booth, Raymond, Ballard, Edler, Tanev, Schroeder, Alberts.........and picks.

Don't think we need a two-way-defenceman; I'd say we need a strong, big stay-at-home-and-kill-people-defenceman. But After MG signed Garrison I really don't see him signing another good d-man, at least while we still have Ballard.

But we really do need another top six-forward that can ditch the puck out to Kesler and Booth on the second line, or a big, strong forward to play with the Sedins, then we could move Burrows down to the second line.

All we need right now is a #5 or 6 defenceman and an offensively skilled center.

Our top-4 defence is great right now but Ballard-Tanev are not built for the playoffs as we have seen the last 2 seasons. They are not big enough or physical enough to contend with giant forwards who play hard. This is why these guys don't look too bad during the regular season, but when the intensity gets increased they struggle. We need a big, physical defenceman like Jurcina, Kubina or Vandemeer on the back-end, or give Alberts some playing time over Tanev.

As for centers, we have 2 centers in the organization who I would call "offensively skilled". Schroeder and Gaunce are way off, Malhotra didn't even score 10 goals last season and Lapierre is not a scorer by any means because his game is too distracting. We have to replace Hodgson's loss because it was a big one, and there are options like Morrison, Wellwood, Arnott and Hecht (my personal favourite, extremely underated) who are much more offensively talented.

Of course we could just acquire these 2 minor pieces through a trade with one of our goalies, but Luongo or Schneider could get us so much more which is why we should just sign some cheap, rental UFA's. A defenceman like Colaiacovo, Kubina or Jurcina would cost this team around 2 million, and a 3rd line center like Hecht would be around 2 as well. Combined they would easily be under 6 million which is what we have to work with right now.

I'm happy going into the season without a 3rd line offensive center and a big physical depth defenceman, but not the playoffs. If we don't get these pieces now we'll need them by the trade deadline.

Get a reliable depth D - 7th Dman. Alberts sucks.

Would be okay with trading Ballard and freeing up some cap space. AV likes to play low-risk/low-reward player on the third pair, which Ballard is anything but.

I'm okay with Schroeder playing 2C to start the season. Gotta give him some opportunities at least.

Signing a veteran winger with physical presence would help too.

All we need right now is a #5 or 6 defenceman and an offensively skilled center.

Our top-4 defence is great right now but Ballard-Tanev are not built for the playoffs as we have seen the last 2 seasons. They are not big enough or physical enough to contend with giant forwards who play hard. This is why these guys don't look too bad during the regular season, but when the intensity gets increased they struggle. We need a big, physical defenceman like Jurcina, Kubina or Vandemeer on the back-end, or give Alberts some playing time over Tanev.

As for centers, we have 2 centers in the organization who I would call "offensively skilled". Schroeder and Gaunce are way off, Malhotra didn't even score 10 goals last season and Lapierre is not a scorer by any means because his game is too distracting. We have to replace Hodgson's loss because it was a big one, and there are options like Morrison, Wellwood, Arnott and Hecht (my personal favourite, extremely underated) who are much more offensively talented.

Of course we could just acquire these 2 minor pieces through a trade with one of our goalies, but Luongo or Schneider could get us so much more which is why we should just sign some cheap, rental UFA's. A defenceman like Colaiacovo, Kubina or Jurcina would cost this team around 2 million, and a 3rd line center like Hecht would be around 2 as well. Combined they would easily be under 6 million which is what we have to work with right now.

I'm happy going into the season without a 3rd line offensive center and a big physical depth defenceman, but not the playoffs. If we don't get these pieces now we'll need them by the trade deadline.

Alberts needs to be moved to a desperate team for a 7th round pick or something, he is a huge pylon. Tanev has proven he can play, take a look at his plus/minus (regular season and playoffs). Then look at Alberts, not as good with the puck, slower, not very physical. Sat out this years playoffs and was a -8 in the run to the finals. The speedy forwards on Chicago and Boston made him look stupid. Don't see how you could sit out Tanev for that guy!

Also, he has a cap hit of 1,225,000

Move Alberts to make cap room!

I think right now going into the start of the season we are a bit weak. What I would like to see....

We need a top D man, the man that would look best in Canucks colours would be webber. I know his name is used a lot and it doesn't seem likely but it is. Elder is in the last year of his contract and is going to be looking for a big raise. Package Edler, Ballard and a farm player for webber. Press will able to resign Edler at the salary he wants, and he will sign there if the money is offered.

Webber- Bieksa

Garrison- hammer

Tanev- connaughton

Sign Doan today.

Sedin-Sedin-kassian/burrows

Booth-Schroeder-Doan

Hansen-lappy-Higgins/kassian

Ebbet-malhotra-plug

Schnieder/Lou

This is still with Lou in our line up, it gives our D more size on the top four without sacrificing points with Edler and Ballard gone. Fills our top six forwards into a high scoring smart set of lines. With the possibility of a Lou deal happening which it will once the other GMs realize Lou's contract is actual good. 4 more years and then there are out clauses, he's top five in the NHL and only at a 5 mill hit, that's less than price, kipper which are not better.

Alberts needs to be moved to a desperate team for a 7th round pick or something, he is a huge pylon. Tanev has proven he can play, take a look at his plus/minus (regular season and playoffs). Then look at Alberts, not as good with the puck, slower, not very physical. Sat out this years playoffs and was a -8 in the run to the finals. The speedy forwards on Chicago and Boston made him look stupid. Don't see how you could sit out Tanev for that guy!

Giant defenceman - a big, physical, stay-at-home, clear-the-crease type of defenceman. Doesn't have to be great offensively, I just want a defenceman who thinks, you know... defence first.

Maybe an enforcer - a don't-mess-with-our-boys, beat-the crap-out-of-you-if-you-cross-the-line type. Doesn't have to be a pest/instigator or put offensive numbers, just keep banging and crashing plus defensively reliable. Maybe Bitz can turn into one if put into the line-up consistently.

I feel like these two pieces are long overdue way back from the Boston cup final...

I like Tanev too. What I was doing really was to provide a possible pool to achieve the big bodies we need. Also I like Ballard, Raymond and Edler but if any one of them was attractive to the team we wanted a guy from then I would consider it. i.e. Edler and Tanev for Perry /Ryan.

Giant defenceman - a big, physical, stay-at-home, clear-the-crease type of defenceman. Doesn't have to be great offensively, I just want a defenceman who thinks, you know... defence first.

Maybe an enforcer - a don't-mess-with-our-boys, beat-the crap-out-of-you-if-you-cross-the-line type. Doesn't have to be a pest/instigator or put offensive numbers, just keep banging and crashing plus defensively reliable. Maybe Bitz can turn into one if put into the line-up consistently.

I feel like these two pieces are long overdue way back from the Boston cup final...

Sees ".............." in topic title. Expects Bodee thread.

Seriously though, the Canucks have Hamhuis, Bieksa, Edler, Ballard and Garrison in the top 5, and then Tanev will make a huge push for that 6th spot (not a bad player), Sauve wants some NHL time, Alberts is always there to cover injuries/scratches and Connauton might even get a shot if he has a good camp/AHL season.

I think right now going into the start of the season we are a bit weak. What I would like to see....

We need a top D man, the man that would look best in Canucks colours would be webber. I know his name is used a lot and it doesn't seem likely but it is. Elder is in the last year of his contract and is going to be looking for a big raise. Package Edler, Ballard and a farm player for webber. Press will able to resign Edler at the salary he wants, and he will sign there if the money is offered.

Webber- Bieksa

Garrison- hammer

Tanev- connaughton

Sign Doan today.

Sedin-Sedin-kassian/burrows

Booth-Schroeder-Doan

Hansen-lappy-Higgins/kassian

Ebbet-malhotra-plug

Schnieder/Lou

This is still with Lou in our line up, it gives our D more size on the top four without sacrificing points with Edler and Ballard gone. Fills our top six forwards into a high scoring smart set of lines. With the possibility of a Lou deal happening which it will once the other GMs realize Lou's contract is actual good. 4 more years and then there are out clauses, he's top five in the NHL and only at a 5 mill hit, that's less than price, kipper which are not better.

Sees ".............." in topic title. Expects Bodee thread.

Seriously though, the Canucks have Hamhuis, Bieksa, Edler, Ballard and Garrison in the top 5, and then Tanev will make a huge push for that 6th spot (not a bad player), Sauve wants some NHL time, Alberts is always there to cover injuries/scratches and Connauton might even get a shot if he has a good camp/AHL season.

Archived