The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] - Raymond

I wonder if he fell over when he read the contract offer?

But honestly, I think we should give him a chance to prove himself after his injury, I also think this is an important year for him for his career. He will be UFA at the end of the year, and the puck is in his zone. Let's hope he doesn't skate super fast trip over a phantom player and leave it behind...

First off, it doesn't matter what happened to Raymond's back. There are players that have had near career ending injuries and play horrible because of it. Too bad. It doesn't mean we should run out and sign them... Given that his cap hit is not too significant doesn't make him a suitable player either. And don't bother with his personal relationship with Garrison. What has Garrison done for the Canucks to justify his buddy Raymond's contract.

Plus, we don't have a position for him. He's not a 1st/2nd line caliber player and he doesn't have any 3rd/4th line qualities. Oh, and he is not on PP or PK. You can't even categorize him as a depth player with a 2M+ salary. And finally, he has "ZERO" trade value.

I'm not a big fan of Ballard and his contract either, but at least we have a position for him.

So what is the upside you ask? None.

First off, it doesn't matter what happened to Raymond's back. There are players that have had near career ending injuries and play horrible because of it. Too bad. It doesn't mean we should run out and sign them... Given that his cap hit is not too significant doesn't make him a suitable player either. And don't bother with his personal relationship with Garrison. What has Garrison done for the Canucks to justify his buddy Raymond's contract.

Plus, we don't have a position for him. He's not a 1st/2nd line caliber player and he doesn't have any 3rd/4th line qualities. Oh, and he is not on PP or PK. You can't even categorize him as a depth player with a 2M+ salary. And finally, he has "ZERO" trade value.

I'm not a big fan of Ballard and his contract either, but at least we have a position for him.

Sedins: Would always be 2nd liners

Kesler: Nothing more than a 3rd line centre

Hansen: Doubtful he'd be a canuck regular

Schneider: Nothing more than trade bait

Bieksa: Worst defensemen to ever play the game

Burrows: A mere fourth liner....3rd line winger at best

Raymond: See thread

wow, that's one of the worst posts in this thread. Raymond absolutely has 3rd line value, he does play on the PK, and the year before he got hurt, he had the highest possession-based advanced metrics on the entire team. Do you actually watch the team?

It may be one of your least favourite posts, sure!

Listen, obviously you like the guy and that's fine. Cameo appearances due to the game or the roster circumstances do not make you a fixture or a role player. Nobody is discrediting how he came out the season before but the fact is, and you would agree, that he had a massive injury. And yes, we all watched the guy last season.

Dear Doctor,

Basically, you are going with the injury excuses and the ghost of the seasons past. All your sentences are in past tense.

My point is, he is no "asset" now and his recovery path to his questionable potential is doubtful enough to deny him an offer. Why sign Richard Park 2.0 if you don’t have to. Wouldn’t you rather see a prospect take his roster spot, let alone half his salary?

Our best scenario is to include him in a deal that otherwise would have cost us a fourth rounder. A fourth rounder saved, is a fourth rounder earned.

wow, that's one of the worst posts in this thread. Raymond absolutely has 3rd line value, he does play on the PK, and the year before he got hurt, he had the highest possession-based advanced metrics on the entire team. Do you actually watch the team?

Listen, obviously you like the guy and that's fine. Cameo appearances due to the game or the roster circumstances do not make you a fixture or a role player. Nobody is discrediting how he came out the season before but the fact is, and you would agree, that he had a massive injury. And yes, we all watched the guy last season.

Dear Doctor,

Basically, you are going with the injury excuses and the ghost of the seasons past. All your sentences are in past tense.

My point is, he is no "asset" now and his recovery path to his questionable potential is doubtful enough to deny him an offer. Why sign Richard Park 2.0 if you don’t have to. Wouldn’t you rather see a prospect take his roster spot, let alone half his salary?

Our best scenario is to include him in a deal that otherwise would have cost us a fourth rounder. A fourth rounder saved, is a fourth rounder earned.

I don't even particularly like him. I took issue with the fact that most of what you were saying is dead wrong. He is a good penalty killer and has a lot of value to the team when healthy. Last year he was not, and did not provide full value. Hence, a big paycut and a charge to recover previous form with a full offseason of training and preparation. I understand that you dislike him, but the facts (statistics and metrics) are not as you've presented them, period.

Archived