The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] - Raymond

If his back was still the issue it sure was not when he returned. He looked good, and then just fell off again later in the season. And the season before the back injury he looked no different, he just was not a top 6 player.

As for people complaining kesler gets a free pass why doesnt raymond. Kesler has taken abuse, not sure if you people read only what you want. People who mattered (gillis and av) called out kesler, they have not called our raymond publicly, and have given him plenty of chances. Fans were also complaining about kesler as well.

But you cannot compare a selke winner, 40 goal scorer, and heart of our team to mason raymond. Raymond is not that player, and comparisons between the two should sotp.

Those of us who remind you of his injury aren't claiming that he was playing with an injured back. We're saying that the injury caused a physical setback since he wasn't able to do his usual summer training that year. It's not something that you can catch up on during the course of the season. I think he lost about 10lbs of muscle. That's more than 5% of his total weight, and an even more significant amount of his muscle mass. If he regains that this summer, then we should see the Raymond of old. Granted, that will still frustrate a lot of his haters-club, but it would mean he'd be contributing positively.

What a waste of money.

People keep saying 'rebound year after injury'...he wasn't having a particularly great year before his injury!! And he had 1 goal in the playoffs!!! This guy has had one good season, and yes flukes happen.

He's a weak, small perimeter player. Waste of cap space.

If his back was still the issue it sure was not when he returned. He looked good, and then just fell off again later in the season. And the season before the back injury he looked no different, he just was not a top 6 player.

As for people complaining kesler gets a free pass why doesnt raymond. Kesler has taken abuse, not sure if you people read only what you want. People who mattered (gillis and av) called out kesler, they have not called our raymond publicly, and have given him plenty of chances. Fans were also complaining about kesler as well.

But you cannot compare a selke winner, 40 goal scorer, and heart of our team to mason raymond. Raymond is not that player, and comparisons between the two should sotp.

One year deal is perfect, and it's a reasonable rate for the market right now.

Many people don't remeber Gillis' long-term goal with this franchise or they choose to forget because they have their 'hate-on' glasses blocking their vision - Gillis, from the beginning, said he wanted to build the Canucks into the pre-eminent franchise of the entire NHL, the type of franchise that would lure free agents and top-flight players simply based on reputation of winning and how they treat their players. Dumping Raymond after a near career ending injury because he didn't bounce back immediately to the same numbers he's attained in the past would be sending a bad message across the league - that the Canucks are "what have you done for me lately" team (yes, I know the fans certainly are like that in Vancouver). This would not be good for the Canucks long-term franchise building strategy.

Yes, it is a fine line between winning, second chances, and moving on - a one year deal sounds fine to me in this player's case.

Actually AV did publicly call out Raymond last season. Your right comparing him to kesler isnt fair. They are not the same type of player whatsoever. But as you stated Kesler is the heart and soul of this team, so where was this heart and soul last season and in the playoffs. Kesler WAS a 40 goal scorer and WAS a Selke winner. He wasnt anywhere near either of those things last season. So if injuries arnt an excuse, what was Keslers?

All I saw out of Kesler was selfish play and refusing to use his linemates. He is supposed to be the leader on that line. His play was far more concerning for me than Raymonds play.

Raymond is just everyones whipping boy and if you think Raymond and his 2.6 mill was the problem with the 2nd line, you are blind to the lackluster play of his 4 mill linemates.

Archived