The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] - Raymond

I have no problem believing that the Canucks simply want to give Raymond another chance, and frankly I like it. However, it just occurred to me that if the Canucks are in fact in pursuit of Doan or another top 6 forward, there isn't really a roster spot for Raymond.

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Doan <(Hypothetical)

Higgins - _______ - Hansen

Malhotra - Lapierre - Kassian

Ebbett

Volpatti

The only open spot is for a 3rd line centre and Raymond doesn't fill that need. It will likely be filled by a spare forward, like Ebbett, a prospect from within the system, like Schroeder, or perhaps filled by a piece coming back the Canucks' way in a Luongo trade, like Marcel Goc from Florida. Either way, I don't see where Raymond fits in so this could very well be a sign and trade.

I have been one of Raymond's biggest critics on this board - I truly believe (even before his injury) he lacks the ability to go into the gritty areas and definitely doesn't make us younger, bigger, or stronger - HOWEVER - to me it's a "prove you want to be a part of this team and contribute to our goal of winning a cup" kinda contract. If he tanks like last year all his fans on here won't be able to hid behind the injury excuse and the critics like myself can draw straws and see who gets to drive him to the airport at season's end.

As much as I have questioned his offensive abilities (with the exception of him letting Kopitar dipsy doodle around him in the playoffs) Raymond does back check and is usually not a defensive liability and a very good penalty killer. Time to show Canuck fans that believe in you and support you Mason that you deserve the minutes you get each night and you can be that same offensive spark you once were.

Would be ecstatic if he and a 3rd could bring back an Antoine Vermette type (wishful thinking for Derick Brassard?)

If he stays with the team he`d better stay away from the Top 6...

Raymond - Lapierre - Hansen is... fine but I would rather have him traded.

So he can be traded because he signed before the arbitration hearing??

If so this is a great move.. Better off getting a draft pick or decent 4th liner for him than nothing. Who knows maybe his back was really hindering him last year and he will come back stronger and score 50 Pts.

I hate him as much as everyone else but letting him walk would have been stupid because there are teams out there that will want him.

What a waste of money.

People keep saying 'rebound year after injury'...he wasn't having a particularly great year before his injury!! And he had 1 goal in the playoffs!!! This guy has had one good season, and yes flukes happen.

He's a weak, small perimeter player. Waste of cap space.

Archived