The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Shane Doan's agent said the Canucks are one of the teams.

Depending on the amount of money we spend on our players, we may not be able to sign another. I personally think about things in terms of cap space because it is such an important part of the game, it factors in trading and signing players. We wouldn't really want to see MG spend 7mil+ on a player worth less, no?

Lets not care about cap room at this point. Cap room issues can be resoloved later, if we say sign him at 5 million. However, there is no fixing not having Shane Doan. Gillis needs to sign him, and go all in. Not only that, signing Doan will solve our top 6 Winger problem. Doan and Kesler will make an awesome pairing grinding , hitting, and more important scoring, as Doan is a proven top 6 winger. Get it done Gillis. YOu didn't get Shultz done, that's ok, he thinks Lebron, please sign Doan.

Thanks Mike! Lucky you are the one running this organization!

I would love for the Canucks to sign Doan for 2yrs, 9 Million but thats not gonna happen. Its what the market dictates, not what you or I think works best. 2yrs 9 Million is Jokinen and Whitney money, Doan is going to get upwards of those. No denying that but if you can pull it off then I'm sure glad your running this organization.

I think GoNucks74 makes a very valid point.

According to CapGeeks, the Canucks have $3M of cap space.

If they sign Doan for $5M per year, they are over the cap by $2M. Sure Luongo goes, but there will be players coming back in that deal so that likely won't free up that much cap room.

Kesler goes on LTIR, but he's coming back at some point (at a pro-rated amount). If he misses half the season he's still a cap hit of $2.5M (versus $5M for the entire year).

All of this and we still don't have a back up goalie on the roster and Burrows is badly underpaid ($2M per) and his contract is up after this year.

This is part of the reason I'm a believer they just trade Luo for a few draft picks as freeing up the cap space he's occupying (so we can sign a guy like Doan) is just as valuable as trading for someone of value.

Doan isn't as worn down as the majority of 35 year old hockey players.

He has limited playoff time, and didn't play in an overly physical devision for his entire career as an NHLer. I would go as far to suggest a 4-5 year contract, front loaded, with a limited cap hit at the end (in case he retires).

As a GM Mike Gillis can easily mitigate the age factor of Doan by giving him financial security in a time (just like Luongo) where he can't bank on getting an income from any team. I'd say a nice "retirement contract" of sorts is completely safe cap wise, and could even give us an edge in signing him other teams won't have.

6M over two years

3.5 for the third year

2.75 for the fourth

1.75 for the fifth

That's an average of 4M per season. Not going to be a terribly disgusting cap hit if we end up paying that.

Total = 20M = Reportedly what Gillis was asking Sundin to sign for in a 2 year contract.

PHX is probably willing to give him the high salary / 3+ year contract he wants but he probably knows he's not going to win there.

Seems like he'll go to the team that'll give him more than 2 years, and that might not be the Canucks considering MG let Salo walk for pretty much the same reasons (different player, and Salo is older, but I'm guessing term is the issue).

Cap space isn't a problem - the Canucks can afford Doan.

Gillis gets young players/prospects in return for Luongo.

The Canucks have an outstanding backup already - his name is Eddie Lack.

Malhotra's 2.5 contract expires at the end of the season as well = bulk of Burrows' raise.

The cap raises = Edler's raise.

In addition - Doan makes it possible to trade a winger for picks/prospects if necessary.

The potential emergence of Kassian, Schroeder and Jensen, likewise.

I cannot believe people are willing to give a 35 year old who might get you 50 points a year 6 mil per or a 4 year contract. WTF people?

He's an aging power forward who plays all out every shift. No way does he have 4 high quality years left in him. No way is he worth 6 mil per considering the contracts real superstars get that are close to that. I love the intangibles and yes they are what the Canucks need to a tee, but to overpay an aging player for them is completely foolish both short and long term.

15 goals less is hardly a significant difference. And the Canucks scored those goals in a much tougher conference defensively. As well, AV's philosophy is to peel back on the forecheck with even a one goal lead (We had the lead a lot.) Vancouver was tied with Chicago for most goals for in the Western conference.

Bottom line is the Canucks have nothing to hang their heads about in relation to the "young, exciting" Flyers, everyone's new fad darlings of the NHL.

So this was just posted by the local beat writer on the story down here.

Lisa Halverstadt@LisaHalverstadt

Sounds as if things are moving forward MT @samstown89 What's the next step here? Is Jamison able to buy the team now? #Coyotes

View conversation

Doesn't seem like they have the sigs... Of course the goldwater guys are saying they have till next monday.

I'd be absolutely shocked if he didn't put up 70 points playing with the Sedins all year...

He wasn't playing with Whitney and Hanzal last season.

Vrbata - Hanzal - Whitney

I'm sure he'll do better with the Sedins than Vermette, Korpikoski, etc. (not saying they are bad players, just not the Sedins).

Not sure how I'd feel about him being on the second line with Kesler.

Archived