The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Shane Doan's agent said the Canucks are one of the teams.

his got so many options....if Pens are interest or the Kings, I would pick them over the nucks unless his wife is a real true canucks fan because am sure he will ask for more then 3 mil canucks have available and whos kidding who PENS and KINGS are fav's to win it all next year.

Man if we get this guy, the long term impact he could have on our younger players because of his leadership. Oh man. Like imagine Doan doing for Kassian what Sundin did for Kesler. He may not put up 60-70 points etc. But that kind of effect alone could be worth whatever he ends up taking to the bank.

If you look at the NHL polls they ask which team will sign Shane Doan. With 6 choices (and one being "Other") Vancouver is not on the list, I don't know if this is an indicator that NHL.com insiders know something we don't but, if that's the case, it could mean Vancouver is not even in the top 5 teams most likely to land Doan.

If you look at the NHL polls they ask which team will sign Shane Doan. With 6 choices (and one being "Other") Vancouver is not on the list, I don't know if this is an indicator that NHL.com insiders know something we don't but, if that's the case, it could mean Vancouver is not even in the top 5 teams most likely to land Doan.

That's a lot to offer for a pending UFA. Of course Edler himself is also a UFA, not sure why Preds will bite this deal. Trade Weber for another UFA defencemen that probably has no interest in signing with them? Not gonna happen. We will Offer Ballard + in a sympathy like trade. Other then that, no way we giving up our best offensive dman right now.

The Canucks have enough gritty wingers right now. We need a 3rd line center DESPERATELY and defensive depth. The only reason we should get Doan is if a trade is upcoming where we move someone like Raymond, Hansen or Higgins for a solid 40-50 point center.

Ideally, if Luongo has to go we trade him for a top-4 defenceman, depth defenceman and 3rd line center straight up for under 5 million, then sign Doan for 5 million and cap dump Ballard to wherever.

Sedin - Sedin - Doan

Booth - Kesler - Higgins

Burrows - 40 point center - Hansen

Raymond - Lapierre - Malhotra

Kassian

Bitz

Weise

Edler - Garrison

Hamhuis - Bieksa

top-4 defenceman - depth defenceman

Alberts - Tanev

Schneider

Lack

If those numbers told us everything we needed to know we would have scored more than 18 goals in our last 12 playoff games.

If you can't understand that this Canucks team needs serious help offensively, especially in the top-6/second line, maybe you should watch more...

The Canucks have enough gritty wingers right now. We need a 3rd line center DESPERATELY and defensive depth. The only reason we should get Doan is if a trade is upcoming where we move someone like Raymond, Hansen or Higgins for a solid 40-50 point center.

Ideally, if Luongo has to go we trade him for a top-4 defenceman, depth defenceman and 3rd line center straight up for under 5 million, then sign Doan for 5 million and cap dump Ballard to wherever.

Sedin - Sedin - Doan

Booth - Kesler - Higgins

Burrows - 40 point center - Hansen

Raymond - Lapierre - Malhotra

Kassian

Bitz

Weise

Edler - Garrison

Hamhuis - Bieksa

top-4 defenceman - depth defenceman

Alberts - Tanev

Schneider

Lack

his got so many options....if Pens are interest or the Kings, I would pick them over the nucks unless his wife is a real true canucks fan because am sure he will ask for more then 3 mil canucks have available and whos kidding who PENS and KINGS are fav's to win it all next year.

I'm dubious of Doan's long-term effectiveness.

A good comparison to contemplate for Doan would be the career of Stan Smyl.

Steamer had a lot of the same traits (and build) as Doan has: small but built like a fire plug, gritty, nasty, opportune sniper with a great wrist shot, leader, durable.

In Smyl's glory years, over an 8 year span, he scored 28.25 goals a season.

The following year, at only 30 years of age (Doan is 35), Smyl's production dropped off to 12 goals (albeit in only 57 games), then plummetted to 7 goals (in a full season), then went to 1 goal in 47 games then 2 goals in 45 games. All Smyl's desire meant nothing when Father Time came calling and Smyl lost three or four steps.

I'm not saying this is definitely going to happen with Doan, though his being 35 now means that it's a danger. People seem to think that regression always happens gradually but, as is evident with Smyl (and others), sometimes the drop-off is dramatic and cruel.

That's why I don't worry about the cap hit so much as I do the term. IMO, signing Doan to any more than two years is a huge gamble, especially if he doesn't push us into a Cup victory in that time. All of a sudden, a declining Doan at 5 million (or more) with another 2 or 3 years on a team that will need to re-stock the cupboard isn't too appealing.

Oh, and by the way, Smyl didn't have a lot of mileage on him, either. Not only was he 5 years younger than Doan at the time of his free fall, the Canucks' only significant playoff run in those previous eight years was the magical '81-82 season.

Doan's agent is trying to drive his Shane Doan's value, (as any agent will do) to get him the most offers, and the best offers. The more a player is wanted the value goes up. Nothing more. Him talking to Buffalo, can just mean, "what are we looking at here? ok bye" type of thing. But I do believe vancouver has a fair shot. Get this done Gillis.

Archived