The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Shane Doan's agent said the Canucks are one of the teams.

$6m per is not a good idea but that poster did bring up a good point about front loading. With Luongo's $47m remaining gone (including $6.714m over the next 6 years for a total of $36.84m), that frees up a big chunk to throw at Doan.

2012: $9m

2013: $9m

2014: $4.5m

2015: $2.25m

2016: $1.25m

Total: $26m

Cap hit: $5.2m

Buyout in June, 2015: $2.33m spread over 4 years (2/3 of remaining salary spread over two times the term left) = $583,333 cap hit (or $888k spread over six years if you buy him out after two years).

Sure the other goalies/defences had something to do with it, but if we're always going to make that excuse, cheers to 40 more cup-less years. Don't know if it's possible to go 4 rounds without running into a defensive-minded team with a great goalie.

Stats and trophies aside, the Canucks just didn't play well enough offensively to get the job done. Not enough players going to the dirty areas, no chemistry on the second line, being outworked, etc.

Sure the other goalies/defences had something to do with it, but if we're always going to make that excuse, cheers to 40 more cup-less years. Don't know if it's possible to go 4 rounds without running into a defensive-minded team with a great goalie.

Stats and trophies aside, the Canucks just didn't play well enough offensively to get the job done. Not enough players going to the dirty areas, no chemistry on the second line, being outworked, etc.

Don't think it's necessary to let go of Burrows, and I doubt he'd walk over money. I'm sure Gillis will be able to find the 2~ million it'll take to lock him up. IMO, his versatility is way too valuable to this team.

Although I don't think Kesler + Burrows have as much chemistry as some others think they do, I would be happy with a Booth - Kesler - Burrows 2nd line if a miracle occurs and Doan signs here :P Doaner with the twins makes me foam at the mouth :bigblush:

I didn't even think about that connection. Now I'm thinking Gillis has a lot more interest in Doan than I did before.

And we're cutting Burrows just because he deserves a lot more money than we can offer him, I assume.

The other goalies/defences had a lot to do with it. LA went 16-4 in their playoff run, and Sutter had them playing defense like he did when he coached Calgary to a Cup finals appearance. The Philly/Pitts series, by contrast, was pond hockey with sieves at both ends.

Also, take away Giroux (D Sedin) from Philly the first three games of a series against LA, and let's compare offensive production then.

An 82 game season is a much much better comparable to use than a 5 game series against different opponents.

Again, back to Doan:

On an earlier response to mine about today's athletes and their improved knowledge about conditioning. I agree, but athletes still have a best-before date, and the Doan we see now may not nearly be the same one we see in four years, even two. In fact, Doan has already declined in production, and then plateaued. Nine years in a row, Doan's high-end production was an average of 26.2 goals a season. In the past three years, that's gone down to 20 goals per. It's not a stretch to extrapolate lower numbers than 20 over the next three year period. Still effective, sure, especially considering the other intangibles, but at what cost? I hope Gillis has a firm set of parameters, and if Doan wants a ridiculous contract by some other team, he's welcome to it.

I don't see how "taking out Giroux" proves anything. We lose to LA with or without Daniel. Giroux was also arguably the best player in the world last season, so it's not really a fair comparison.

As for Doan, still having trouble understanding why people don't think that Doan will put up better numbers with the Sedins.

You're misrepresenting my point. I didn't say we'd have won with Daniel, I implied strongly that our offense was compromised by it. You know, missing an Art Ross trophy winner from your line-up for 60% of your playoff games will tend to do that. So Giroux being "arguably the best player in the world last season" is a silly comparison.

As for Doan, unless I missed an AV presser, I didn't realize that Doan was guaranteed an 82 game stretch of playing with the Sedins.

You mean why do people say things like "I'll eat my hat if x happens"? Because it's a turn of phrase. No one intends to literally eat their hat. It's an expression that means to suggest the person saying it believes firmly that their postition is right. Many people here believe their's is the correct postion. Using colorful language is one way of expressing individuality, just as being very clinical and literal is another person's way of doing so.

Reaspectfully.

I don't see how "taking out Giroux" proves anything. We lose to LA with or without Daniel. Giroux was also arguably the best player in the world last season, so it's not really a fair comparison.

As for Doan, still having trouble understanding why people don't think that Doan will put up better numbers with the Sedins.

I never said "I'm right / you're wrong". You're putting words in my mouth, but I'm starting flame wars -_- okay. I have an opinion and I'm entitled to defend it as strongly as I choose, it's a discussion board. Besides, arguments are what make CDC fun :)

And I didn't know I had to be 60 years old to know that the Canucks haven't won the cup in their 40+ year history.

In any case, I am of the opinion that Philly's offence is "significantly" better than ours because of visible game-play, not just statistics (which seem to be the be-all / end-all around here).

I'll eat my soiled underwear if Burrows signs anywhere for 5 or more.

Archived