The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Shane Doan's agent said the Canucks are one of the teams.

I cannot believe people are willing to give a 35 year old who might get you 50 points a year 6 mil per or a 4 year contract. WTF people?

He's an aging power forward who plays all out every shift. No way does he have 4 high quality years left in him. No way is he worth 6 mil per considering the contracts real superstars get that are close to that. I love the intangibles and yes they are what the Canucks need to a tee, but to overpay an aging player for them is completely foolish both short and long term.

It's our only option at this point.

Sources are saying that almost 17 teams are in contention for him.

3 of which he is likely interested in. Pit, Det, LA

Here is the link (not making a thread because it's EKlund crap): http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=45514

I see a 5 year deal FRONT LOADED with an average of 4M as an option. Even go as low at shaving 1M off the first and second year to make it an 18M 5 year deal. Still, it'll look at lot better than what many teams are throwing at him (likely short terms because of his age).

I just don't see him wearing down any time soon. I guess that's opinion as much as anything, or you can look at his total post season games and Time On Ice and compare it to a guy like Sundin and see if Doan is actually YOUNGER in "hockey years" so to speak.

Even though Doan's agent said the canucks have a good chance( but he also said that to other teams like detriot) do you guys think the nucks resigned raymond today because they know doan is out of there price range because essentially wouldn't doan be playing in raymonds spot. Just a thought !

Cheeers !

Even though Doan's agent said the canucks have a good chance( but he also said that to other teams like detriot) do you guys think the nucks resigned raymond today because they know doan is out of there price range because essentially wouldn't doan be playing in raymonds spot. Just a thought !

Cheeers !

he was always kind of overpaid in phoenix... but supply-demand dictates he be overpaid now I guess..

he is probably going to be a great player for another 1-3 years, then transition from a go-to power forward type of guy to a Marc Recchi type for the final year or 3.

but to take a gamble on the next few years is worth it - is what this team needs right now in this window.

5 year deal at a reasonable cap wouldn't a bad idea... It means he is signed passed the Twins deal and can leave on time for the prospects or whom ever is our star then.. His leadership and play on ice is needed for the Canucks. Exact player the Canucks can use while the Twins are still here in their prime and let Kassian build up same wit Jensen in Sweden. They'll be ready in time and Doan like Luongo to Schneider will give them time to develop the right way so they can reach the fullest potential.

Knowing Gillis he may shock us and actually give him a deal he wants with a reasonable cap which is what it's all about. If Doan makes a pitch to all teams he can play the length I can see a GM taking a chance. Some guys do still play well around this age...

Let's just see where he eventually ends up before saying who is right or wrong but I would be surprised if

1) He signs for 2yrs@4.5m per unless its Phoenix.

2) He signs for anything less than 3 years and 5m per any where else

3) He signs in Vancouver for 2yrs@4.5m, I would eat my Luongo jersey if that happens but I would be very happy eating it.

Like we have said, its what the market is dictating right now not what is fair. I dont think its fair to pay $1.40+ for gas but people still pay it. There are people who call car drivers idiots for pay so much but what can ya do??? I'd gladly pay $.399 for gas again but that just aint gonna happen...ever....again... :(

Cheeers !

Raymond's signing doesn't have anything to do with Doan - the Canucks decided to retain Raymond before July 1st when they elected arbitration - and before Doan's availability was probable.

Doan would be taking Doan's spot. The Canucks don't really have a top six right winger - Daniel, Burrows, Booth, Raymond, Higgins are all left-wings - the Canucks have used left wings on the right wing for a couple years...

Part of the reason acquiring Kassian was such a great move.

Doan is not only a right winger - but power forward in the perennial 20 goal, 200 hit club - perfect fit.

Seems like the agent is saying Tuesday is the day it will be announced... he's talking to media from many different teams saying there is interest lol.

Said "strong mutual interest" between Doan and Sharks :(

---

he was always kind of overpaid in phoenix... but supply-demand dictates he be overpaid now I guess..

he is probably going to be a great player for another 1-3 years, then transition from a go-to power forward type of guy to a Marc Recchi type for the final year or 3.

but to take a gamble on the next few years is worth it - is what this team needs right now in this window.

Yeah I get what your saying, I was just sayin in the roster in general, just say doan is in the line up, where do u see raymond playing when kes is back? I don't seem raymond as a bottom six forward but again that's why I'm not the coach lol

Doan in a Canucks uniform is intriguing, but he's the exact player that Detroit covets and you know Holland is going to be pursuing Doan intensely because they lost Lidstrom and failed to lure Suter to Hockeytown.

Plus, what number would Doan wear here - his number isn't available and that right there is likely the final deal-breaker :) .

Thats like complaining to your friend, "I have a 3 car garage, Got me A Ferrari, A Lamborghini just bought a Lexus and damn it I just won a Porshe! What the hell am I gonna do???"

First your friend punches you in the face, then he tells you "Ya make friggin room for the Porshe!"

Archived