Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Report] Shane Doan's agent said the Canucks are one of the teams.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
807 replies to this topic

#421 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:05 PM

lol... more "stat guys" :lol:

Doan brings what we need, and that's not just g04lz.

No doubt. And then there's the "small" matter of playing with two Art Ross linemates vs the scrubs in Phoenix...

Surely that's good for 8-9 goals a year?

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#422 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:12 PM

I didn't even think about that connection. Now I'm thinking Gillis has a lot more interest in Doan than I did before.

And we're cutting Burrows just because he deserves a lot more money than we can offer him, I assume.

He's earned the big payday, I just don't think it would be wise for us to be the ones that shell it out. If he goes elsewhere his numbers will certainly take a big dive, imo, and if he stays I'm not sure he's worth the money it would take to keep him ($4.5m+).

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#423 Duda

Duda

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:14 PM

$6m per is not a good idea but that poster did bring up a good point about front loading. With Luongo's $47m remaining gone (including $6.714m over the next 6 years for a total of $36.84m), that frees up a big chunk to throw at Doan.

2012: $9m
2013: $9m
2014: $4.5m
2015: $2.25m
2016: $1.25m

Total: $26m
Cap hit: $5.2m

Buyout in June, 2015: $2.33m spread over 4 years (2/3 of remaining salary spread over two times the term left) = $583,333 cap hit (or $888k spread over six years if you buy him out after two years).

Thought the cap hit was unaffected by the buyout, and remained the same for the original SPC duration.

#424 Wolverinė

Wolverinė

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:15 PM

I didn't even think about that connection. Now I'm thinking Gillis has a lot more interest in Doan than I did before.

And we're cutting Burrows just because he deserves a lot more money than we can offer him, I assume.

Don't think it's necessary to let go of Burrows, and I doubt he'd walk over money. I'm sure Gillis will be able to find the 2~ million it'll take to lock him up. IMO, his versatility is way too valuable to this team.

Although I don't think Kesler + Burrows have as much chemistry as some others think they do, I would be happy with a Booth - Kesler - Burrows 2nd line if a miracle occurs and Doan signs here :P Doaner with the twins makes me foam at the mouth :bigblush:

Posted Image

#425 Barry_Wilkins

Barry_Wilkins

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:15 PM

Sure the other goalies/defences had something to do with it, but if we're always going to make that excuse, cheers to 40 more cup-less years. Don't know if it's possible to go 4 rounds without running into a defensive-minded team with a great goalie.

Stats and trophies aside, the Canucks just didn't play well enough offensively to get the job done. Not enough players going to the dirty areas, no chemistry on the second line, being outworked, etc.

The other goalies/defences had a lot to do with it. LA went 16-4 in their playoff run, and Sutter had them playing defense like he did when he coached Calgary to a Cup finals appearance. The Philly/Pitts series, by contrast, was pond hockey with sieves at both ends.

Also, take away Giroux (D Sedin) from Philly the first three games of a series against LA, and let's compare offensive production then.

An 82 game season is a much much better comparable to use than a 5 game series against different opponents.

Again, back to Doan:

On an earlier response to mine about today's athletes and their improved knowledge about conditioning. I agree, but athletes still have a best-before date, and the Doan we see now may not nearly be the same one we see in four years, even two. In fact, Doan has already declined in production, and then plateaued. Nine years in a row, Doan's high-end production was an average of 26.2 goals a season. In the past three years, that's gone down to 20 goals per. It's not a stretch to extrapolate lower numbers than 20 over the next three year period. Still effective, sure, especially considering the other intangibles, but at what cost? I hope Gillis has a firm set of parameters, and if Doan wants a ridiculous contract by some other team, he's welcome to it.

#426 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,409 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:19 PM

Sure the other goalies/defences had something to do with it, but if we're always going to make that excuse, cheers to 40 more cup-less years. Don't know if it's possible to go 4 rounds without running into a defensive-minded team with a great goalie.

Stats and trophies aside, the Canucks just didn't play well enough offensively to get the job done. Not enough players going to the dirty areas, no chemistry on the second line, being outworked, etc.

I love how teenagers talk about "40 cup-less years", as if they'd actually been around for all of those years.

FTR: I don't dispute that offensive help is needed, I merely felt the level of hyperbole that you were using was over the top. You say that Philly's offense is "100% better" than ours, and when someone points out your statiscal inaccuracies, you trot out the condescending and trite "if you don't think the way I do, you don't know anything" routine.

Keep your opinions to a realistic level and you'll have far less flame wars.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#427 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:22 PM

Thought the cap hit was unaffected by the buyout, and remained the same for the original SPC duration.

You may very well be right, and if that is indeed the case scrap the entire idea.

#428 stawns

stawns

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,922 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:33 PM

Don't think it's necessary to let go of Burrows, and I doubt he'd walk over money. I'm sure Gillis will be able to find the 2~ million it'll take to lock him up. IMO, his versatility is way too valuable to this team.

Although I don't think Kesler + Burrows have as much chemistry as some others think they do, I would be happy with a Booth - Kesler - Burrows 2nd line if a miracle occurs and Doan signs here :P Doaner with the twins makes me foam at the mouth :bigblush:

Don't be so naive, of course he will.........he left a lot of $ on the table the last time around and he's maintained his play, and production (for the most part)..........he will sign for nothing less than $4.5m, more likely $5-5.5m........and I doubt he gets that from MG.

#429 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:37 PM

It's a tough call to make I think. He probably deserves 4.25 - 5.0 mil based on his inflated numbers playing with the Sedins. Very tricky contract indeed I would think. Do you pay him that type of money when he may end up playing on the third line. I know CDC will go apesh.t but I really don't know if MG can do that kind of deal for Alex.

"What players need is the right kind of strength and power. That includes learning to understand that leverage and positioning can be just as important as raw strength when it comes to winning battles in the game. It's more about timing and athleticism --and avoiding injury--than it is about how much you can bench press. I don't know how many times I've seen a guy with the physique of a defensive end line up a guy half his size, only to bounce off when he connects. Sure, there is room in the game for big guys who can throw their weight around. But for the most part, players are smart enough to see them coming--and strong enough to protect the puck when they arrive. There are trainers out there who know how to devlop hockey-specific strength--though a trainer can help only if a player follows the program. All too often, I've seen players sign up with the best trainer, but not show up for their workouts and never to reap the benefits."

Bobby Orr - ORR MY STORY Viking 2013

#430 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:40 PM

Apparently, according to capgeek.com's interpretation of the Mark Parrish buyout, it is in fact salary that gets calculated not cap hit:

Parrish's cap hit in 2007-2008: $2.65m, three years remaining = $7.95m * 0.666 = $5.299,999 and when that gets spread over six years you get a $883,333 cap hit. Now, Parrish's salaries for the remaining years were $2.85m, $2.85m & $2.65m for a total of $8.35m and when you spread 2/3s of that ($5,566,666) over six years? $927,777.

$927,778 is the listed buyout penalty on the Wild's cap:

http://www.capgeek.c...rts.php?Team=18

Parrish's contract history breakdown:

http://www.capgeek.c...play.php?id=700

#431 Wolverinė

Wolverinė

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:44 PM

The other goalies/defences had a lot to do with it. LA went 16-4 in their playoff run, and Sutter had them playing defense like he did when he coached Calgary to a Cup finals appearance. The Philly/Pitts series, by contrast, was pond hockey with sieves at both ends.

Also, take away Giroux (D Sedin) from Philly the first three games of a series against LA, and let's compare offensive production then.

An 82 game season is a much much better comparable to use than a 5 game series against different opponents.

Again, back to Doan:

On an earlier response to mine about today's athletes and their improved knowledge about conditioning. I agree, but athletes still have a best-before date, and the Doan we see now may not nearly be the same one we see in four years, even two. In fact, Doan has already declined in production, and then plateaued. Nine years in a row, Doan's high-end production was an average of 26.2 goals a season. In the past three years, that's gone down to 20 goals per. It's not a stretch to extrapolate lower numbers than 20 over the next three year period. Still effective, sure, especially considering the other intangibles, but at what cost? I hope Gillis has a firm set of parameters, and if Doan wants a ridiculous contract by some other team, he's welcome to it.

I don't see how "taking out Giroux" proves anything. We lose to LA with or without Daniel. Giroux was also arguably the best player in the world last season, so it's not really a fair comparison.

As for Doan, still having trouble understanding why people don't think that Doan will put up better numbers with the Sedins.

I love how teenagers talk about "40 cup-less years", as if they'd actually been around for all of those years.

FTR: I don't dispute that offensive help is needed, I merely felt the level of hyperbole that you were using was over the top. You say that Philly's offense is "100% better" than ours, and when someone points out your statiscal inaccuracies, you trot out the condescending and trite "if you don't think the way I do, you don't know anything" routine.

Keep your opinions to a realistic level and you'll have far less flame wars.

I never said "I'm right / you're wrong". You're putting words in my mouth, but I'm starting flame wars -_- okay. I have an opinion and I'm entitled to defend it as strongly as I choose, it's a discussion board. Besides, arguments are what make CDC fun :)

And I didn't know I had to be 60 years old to know that the Canucks haven't won the cup in their 40+ year history.

In any case, I am of the opinion that Philly's offence is "significantly" better than ours because of visible game-play, not just statistics (which seem to be the be-all / end-all around here).

Don't be so naive, of course he will.........he left a lot of $ on the table the last time around and he's maintained his play, and production (for the most part)..........he will sign for nothing less than $4.5m, more likely $5-5.5m........and I doubt he gets that from MG.

I'll eat my soiled underwear if Burrows signs anywhere for 5 or more.

Edited by Wolverinė, 10 July 2012 - 01:46 PM.

Posted Image

#432 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:49 PM

Talk is cheap. There's no way you do that even if Burrows does indeed sign for $5m/year.

Why do people make statements they'll never back up?

#433 Barry_Wilkins

Barry_Wilkins

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:56 PM

I don't see how "taking out Giroux" proves anything. We lose to LA with or without Daniel. Giroux was also arguably the best player in the world last season, so it's not really a fair comparison.

As for Doan, still having trouble understanding why people don't think that Doan will put up better numbers with the Sedins.

You're misrepresenting my point. I didn't say we'd have won with Daniel, I implied strongly that our offense was compromised by it. You know, missing an Art Ross trophy winner from your line-up for 60% of your playoff games will tend to do that. So Giroux being "arguably the best player in the world last season" is a silly comparison.

As for Doan, unless I missed an AV presser, I didn't realize that Doan was guaranteed an 82 game stretch of playing with the Sedins.

Edited by Barry_Wilkins, 10 July 2012 - 01:57 PM.

#434 Vansicle

Vansicle

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,594 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:02 PM

Talk is cheap. There's no way you do that even if Burrows does indeed sign for $5m/year.

Why do people make statements they'll never back up?

You mean why do people say things like "I'll eat my hat if x happens"? Because it's a turn of phrase. No one intends to literally eat their hat. It's an expression that means to suggest the person saying it believes firmly that their postition is right. Many people here believe their's is the correct postion. Using colorful language is one way of expressing individuality, just as being very clinical and literal is another person's way of doing so.
Reaspectfully.

Snake Doctor, on 23 May 2014 - 10:41 AM, said:snapback.png

Miller is not on our list. It's Lack as our #1. There is no reason we would have traded both Schnieder and Luongo if we never intended to give Lack the #1 starting job.  Furthermore, the salary and term Miller is looking for is not in our favor.

#435 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,507 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:02 PM

It depends. Some Christians would actually prefer to go to those "party animal" teams, and see if he can change their way of thinking. It is the sick that needs healing.

True, but that kind of Christian can be a major distraction to a team as well. Nobody likes to have others' beliefs rammed down their throats or have teammates, who's choices make you feel uncomfortable. Moderation is best when dealing with teammates,.

Edited by DIBdaQUIB, 10 July 2012 - 02:06 PM.

#436 Wolverinė

Wolverinė

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:03 PM

You're misrepresenting my point. I didn't say we'd have won with Daniel, I implied strongly that our offense was compromised by it. You know, missing an Art Ross trophy winner from your line-up for 60% of your playoff games will tend to do that. So Giroux being "arguably the best player in the world last season" is a silly comparison.

As for Doan, unless I missed an AV presser, I didn't realize that Doan was guaranteed an 82 game stretch of playing with the Sedins.

You're right.

With AV as coach, there's a much stronger chance that Raymond gets to play 82 with the Sedins.

Posted Image

#437 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:28 PM

You mean why do people say things like "I'll eat my hat if x happens"? Because it's a turn of phrase. No one intends to literally eat their hat. It's an expression that means to suggest the person saying it believes firmly that their postition is right. Many people here believe their's is the correct postion. Using colorful language is one way of expressing individuality, just as being very clinical and literal is another person's way of doing so.
Reaspectfully.

Yeah, I'll never be able to equate "soiled underwear" with the popular phrase involving a hat.

#438 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,312 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:41 PM

I never said "I'm right / you're wrong". You're putting words in my mouth, but I'm starting flame wars -_- okay. I have an opinion and I'm entitled to defend it as strongly as I choose, it's a discussion board. Besides, arguments are what make CDC fun :)

And I didn't know I had to be 60 years old to know that the Canucks haven't won the cup in their 40+ year history.

In any case, I am of the opinion that Philly's offence is "significantly" better than ours because of visible game-play, not just statistics (which seem to be the be-all / end-all around here).

Doan would be a beast with the Sedins and my guess is he would put up career numbers if he played 82 games with them. As for burrows and your dirty undies.... ewwwww
Posted Image

#439 winthecup

winthecup

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:50 PM

http://www.usatoday....gent/56134798/1

This could take awhile.

#440 Barry_Wilkins

Barry_Wilkins

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:53 PM

You're right.

With AV as coach, there's a much stronger chance that Raymond gets to play 82 with the Sedins.

I'm an AV fan.

Just as probable is Burrows staying with the Sedins, and Doan (if he signs here) playing with a depleted (as it now stands) 2nd line. Other, and probably later, possibilities include Kassian with the Sedins (doubtful) and/or a good forward we may get back in a Luongo trade. There are also other free agents that MG may be willing to go after that could see time on the top line, at times.

Doan would no doubt see at least some time with the twins. Seems like a good fit, maybe a great one. But Doan can make plays, too, and would certainly also help a pass-challenged 2nd line.

#441 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,913 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:54 PM

lol... more "stat guys"

You don't think that's something Burrows' agent would use in negotiations?

And am I the only one questioning if a soon-to-be 36-year-old Doan can provide much more than Burrows?

Edited by D-Money, 10 July 2012 - 02:59 PM.

Posted Image

#442 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,913 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:02 PM

Doan brings what we need, and that's not just g04lz.

I don't know...last couple playoff series I saw, we could sure use some g04lz.
Posted Image

#443 Alex the Great

Alex the Great

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,838 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:06 PM

Hockey Buzz Eklund ‏@Eklund

Flyers just informed me they are talking to Doans agent, but have not made an offer yet. Get the sense they will.

So Philly is officially out on Doan then...
:bigblush:

105uyog.jpg

Thanks to KhalifaWiz for the incredible sig!

#444 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:08 PM

You don't think that's something Burrows' agent would use in negotiations?

And am I the only one questioning if a soon-to-be 36-year-old Doan can provide much more than Burrows?

Yup. Burrows is not nearly as physically intimidating as Doan is.

Actually, Burrows isn't physically intimidating at all but you're right about the point production. Doan is like Burrows, Torres and Bitz all wrapped up in one top-six player with a much better slapshot and he'd be a much better mentor for Kassian than anyone currently on our team (in terms of modelling game after that player).

If Gillis wants to get the best out of Kassian, he'd be wise to get Doan in here to work with the kid day in, day out.

#445 Duda

Duda

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:51 PM

Apparently, according to capgeek.com's interpretation of the Mark Parrish buyout, it is in fact salary that gets calculated not cap hit:

Parrish's cap hit in 2007-2008: $2.65m, three years remaining = $7.95m * 0.666 = $5.299,999 and when that gets spread over six years you get a $883,333 cap hit. Now, Parrish's salaries for the remaining years were $2.85m, $2.85m & $2.65m for a total of $8.35m and when you spread 2/3s of that ($5,566,666) over six years? $927,777.

$927,778 is the listed buyout penalty on the Wild's cap:

http://www.capgeek.c...rts.php?Team=18

Parrish's contract history breakdown:

http://www.capgeek.c...play.php?id=700

Thanks for this, i couldn't think of a recent 35+ buyout to lookup and the information on that particular scenario was sparse in the time I had to check. In this case, at least the cap hit would be lowered, albeit extended. Regardless, I fully support bringing on Doan at a significant cost. I think he would do for the young powerfowards what I think Sundin helped do for Kesler, which is to say intangibles that lead to improved development.

... though IMO Kesler wants to be the #2 cap hit on the team. Just my guess based on reading, behavioural observation, and subtle facial expressions. The eyes tell all. I only play a psychologist on the internet. <_<

#446 Vansicle

Vansicle

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,594 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:58 PM

Yeah, I'll never be able to equate "soiled underwear" with the popular phrase involving a hat.

I smell your cookin'.
And for the record, I wasn't siding with Wolverine, or whatever. I was just clownin' around. I know you're no dummy.

Edited by Vansicle, 10 July 2012 - 03:59 PM.

Miller is not on our list. It's Lack as our #1. There is no reason we would have traded both Schnieder and Luongo if we never intended to give Lack the #1 starting job.  Furthermore, the salary and term Miller is looking for is not in our favor.

#447 Vansicle

Vansicle

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,594 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:00 PM

Yup. Burrows is not nearly as physically intimidating as Doan is.

Actually, Burrows isn't physically intimidating at all but you're right about the point production. Doan is like Burrows, Torres and Bitz all wrapped up in one top-six player with a much better slapshot and he'd be a much better mentor for Kassian than anyone currently on our team (in terms of modelling game after that player).

If Gillis wants to get the best out of Kassian, he'd be wise to get Doan in here to work with the kid day in, day out.

Also, I've never once seen Doan pull anyone's hair . . . or bite their finger.

#448 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:04 PM

Shhh... I don't like to talk about that around here. ;)

#449 afesposit

afesposit

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:30 PM

I'm actually beginning to feel like the Coyotes will stay, but the offers will be to high where Doaner has to move on... This is the last contract, so I won't blame him.

#450 afesposit

afesposit

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:32 PM

Burrows n Lucic...

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.