The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Shane Doan's agent said the Canucks are one of the teams.

Yeah. Family ties seem like they could be evenly split between the two western provinces. And regardless of which province he decides on it's only a 1 hour flight between. Van definitely gives him a much better opportunity to win, and to face down Brown again. Would love to see him here. I see reasons why he may. I am not going to get my hopes up.

They didn't collect enough signatures, so the arena will continue to be subsidized. Which means the team will likely stay in Phoenix for this year. The future of the team is still up in the air though, and Doan is looking for some stability. So we'll know more after he speaks w/ the prospective owner this morning.

I wonder if Shane Doan will pick Vancouver based upon the like minded players we have on this team. I think a point could be made that the friendship of Raymond and Garrison played a role in him signing here.

Does the fact that Shane Doan is an outspoken devout Christian make him want to play on a team that has a Christian emphasis in the dressing room? We heard last year that the Canucks have their own church service before each game with their own chapel in the room; obviously participation is only for those who want to be a part of it.

Vancouver has a history of having religious leadership most recently Markus Naslund. Having a team with Hamhuis, Raymond, and Booth as traditional Christian followers; perhaps Doan may find this "dressing room" as a fit for him.

I don't want this to turn into a flame war about religion, as I don't think theology has anything to do with the subject; it's just a point I considered as potential familiarity and like-mindedness for a potential UFA.

I let people live any lifestyle they choose to as long as they respect others; and so I have no issue with people with Christian morals and lifestyles. I think the more responsible, moral, and respectable players we have, the better.

-Jagori

Archived