The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Shane Doan's agent said the Canucks are one of the teams.

Apparently, according to capgeek.com's interpretation of the Mark Parrish buyout, it is in fact salary that gets calculated not cap hit:

Parrish's cap hit in 2007-2008: $2.65m, three years remaining = $7.95m * 0.666 = $5.299,999 and when that gets spread over six years you get a $883,333 cap hit. Now, Parrish's salaries for the remaining years were $2.85m, $2.85m & $2.65m for a total of $8.35m and when you spread 2/3s of that ($5,566,666) over six years? $927,777.

$927,778 is the listed buyout penalty on the Wild's cap:

http://www.capgeek.c...rts.php?Team=18

Parrish's contract history breakdown:

http://www.capgeek.c...play.php?id=700

Yup. Burrows is not nearly as physically intimidating as Doan is.

Actually, Burrows isn't physically intimidating at all but you're right about the point production. Doan is like Burrows, Torres and Bitz all wrapped up in one top-six player with a much better slapshot and he'd be a much better mentor for Kassian than anyone currently on our team (in terms of modelling game after that player).

If Gillis wants to get the best out of Kassian, he'd be wise to get Doan in here to work with the kid day in, day out.

Don't be so naive, of course he will.........he left a lot of $ on the table the last time around and he's maintained his play, and production (for the most part)..........he will sign for nothing less than $4.5m, more likely $5-5.5m........and I doubt he gets that from MG.

Doan's not leaving Phoenix, so there's really no point even talking about this. Him and his agent are just trying to put pressure on the Coyotes to get the deal done.

If this was Gillis's plan to upgrade our offense, I'm a little worried.

We have an excellent captain, Kesler as our heart and soul, and many other leaders in their own right (Malholtra, Bieksa, Burrows, hamhuis), but boy oh boy would it be nice to have Doan in our locker room during the down times in the playoffs... Our current locker room seems to get rattled easily, and it seems they find it hard to regain their composure at times... I think Doan would be worth whatever it maximum offer is on him... Besides, if the term is long, we can just buy him out later on and spread the cap hit (I doubt it will harm us that much since the cap keeps rising & we have an awesome Capologist).

You can't conclusively say that at this point. I have a feeling he will stay in phx, but in the very possible event that he doesn't - we've still got a good shot of landing him.

Does he want to stay there? Of course, but with Whitney gone, the franchise undergoing constant financial (and by extension, legal) issues, and the yotes' inability to win a cup (that isn't happening in the forseeable future anyway) - it basically forces him to consider options. Otherwise, he would've already re-signed there in a heartbeat.

Archived