The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Shane Doan's agent said the Canucks are one of the teams.

Would love to have this guy. Will be very upset if LA got him. A Stanley Cup winning team should not be allowed to improve!!!!

Our team has lost too many key players since being a Stanley Cup finalist that was put out 2yrs ago.

Collectively: Ehrhoff, Salo, Samuelson, Torres>>>>>>>>Garrison, Booth

The situation with the petition is far from over. I wouldn't call it so cut and dry that they've seen the end of it. The future of the Coyotes franchise is still uncertain, and as a result so is Doan's future with the team.

If Shane was as committed to the team as some of you claim, he wouldn't be holding back. We know the team isn't holding back waiting to sign him, so that only leaves one person who could be slowing the process.

His camp has also stated that Doan has turned down an offer from the team. Why would a guy who has already decided he wants to play for a particular team turn down their offer? I think it's safe to assume that the money involved would have been fair and reasonable between two long standing associates.

Prepare to be butthurt when he re-signs in Phoenix then. :lol:

Everyone sees the writing on the wall except you I guess.

His agent is accepting offers because he wants to put pressure on the Coyotes to make him a serious offer. If he was done with Phoenix, he wouldn't have given them so much time to try and figure things out. He would have just signed with another team soon after free agency.

Now that the situation is cleared up, and the sale is going to go through, there's nothing to keep him from signing there within the next few days. Sorry to burst your bubble.

This reminds me of the 2008/09 Nashville Predators when they weren't allowed to pick up anybody at the trade deadline due to ownership issues, except the Coyotes situation is 10x worse. Maybe management isn't allowed to offer the 15m or so that it will take to keep Doan in the fold, and that's why he's waiting.

If the losing money from Bettman pocket, he will relocate it on the next day. The problem is he doesn't care about the money.

Seattle, Quebec City, Markham, and Hamilton would loves to have a NHL teams. Those places will have no problem raising taxes to balance the book of the team.

If the losing money from Bettman pocket, he will relocate it on the next day. The problem is he doesn't care about the money.

Seattle, Quebec City, Markham, and Hamilton would loves to have a NHL teams. Those places will have no problem raising taxes to balance the book of the team.

I don't think it's as much about money as it is ego.

The whole "growing the game" by moving into major US markets without a traditional hockey fanbase, is Bettman's baby. He desperately wants to see franchises like Phoenix, Florida, Nashville, Carolina and Tampa Bay be successful because he's the one who has been selling the idea all along.

He already lost face with the relocation of Atlanta to Winnipeg and I'm betting that he doesn't want to have to admit defeat once again, at least not this soon.

USA Today Kevin Allen article just came online a few mins ago, an excerpt from the end of it:

Doan, 35, is a power forward with leadership ability, and most of the league's high-profile teams are interested in signing him, including the Stanley Cup champion Los Angeles Kings. The Detroit Red Wings, Pittsburgh Penguins and Vancouver Canucks also are believed to be in the mix.

Vancouver Update ‏@VancouverUpdate

Hockey insiders report Shane Doan is close to signing with Canucks. Decision on a 3 year contract will be made next week. #vancouver

I'm not sure who or what Vancouver Update is but this is what he tweeted.

I hope he's legit.

Archived