Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Report] Shane Doan's agent said the Canucks are one of the teams.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
807 replies to this topic

#91 Canucks_fo_life

Canucks_fo_life

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,591 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:42 PM

This is beginning to sound like Justin Schultz gate, BC boy, parents live in BC, grew up a Canucks fan....then bam! Signs with Edmonton. Please dont put us through that again Shane!
I rather lose with the Canucks, than win with any other team

This is OUR year

GO CANUCKS GOOOOOO!!!!!!!

#92 DefCon1

DefCon1

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,533 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:42 PM

Makes sense Van on the list and double so Van wanting Doan. Det makes sense too. think if Doan leaves the yotes if might come down to style of play more than lenght of contract. So does he prefer Det or Van style of it comes down to those 2?

I think it will be about who the bigger contender is. Vancouver right now is the bigger contender compared to Detroit who lost Rafalski, Stuart and Lidstrom in just the last 2 years and haven't replaced them. Vancouver has also been to the finals recently and a back to back president trophy winner with an ability to win the cup this year. I just don't see him going to Detroit as they aren't that great team anymore with the loss of Stuart and Lidstrom this year. Det and Van also play similar style of puck possession with Detroit using the left wing lock and Vancouver using a more aggressive forechecking style that fits Doan's style better.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

QUOTE (Rye and Kesler @ Jun 29 2009, 10:24 PM) Where is Celebrities? I am tryin to find it on Club vibes but i can't find it. Is it relatively new? Sounds good though we will have to check it out.

I think Germany is the exception because they should know how to use their own balls.

QUOTE (pacecar @ Aug 2 2009, 11:53 AM) Sheep are ok but horses, ewww.

Posted Image

#93 2009cupchamps

2009cupchamps

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:43 PM

As a 35 + contract there are options that the Canucks can go with to minimize the risk. Signing bonuses at the beginning of each year and have bonus incentives. So if he retires after one year then they do not have the bonuses and signing bonuses would not be paid therefore not added to the cap. Then the Canucks can buy it out for 2/3rds over 2 years if we sign him for 2 years and if he retires after one.

#94 Thunder Bunnies

Thunder Bunnies

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts

Yeah, I read an article about Doan's agent will start fielding offers on Tuesday and his agent also said something about wanting to hear from Phoenix by this afternoon.

#95 DefCon1

DefCon1

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,533 posts

This is beginning to sound like Justin Schultz gate, BC boy, parents live in BC, grew up a Canucks fan....then bam! Signs with Edmonton. Please dont put us through that again Shane!

Except he won't sign with the so called "Dynasty team" that is Edmonton LOL!!!

Posted Image

QUOTE (Rye and Kesler @ Jun 29 2009, 10:24 PM) Where is Celebrities? I am tryin to find it on Club vibes but i can't find it. Is it relatively new? Sounds good though we will have to check it out.

I think Germany is the exception because they should know how to use their own balls.

Posted Image

#96 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,471 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:45 PM

According to his agent, (quoted on Sportsnet) Doan could start looking at deals tomorrow (Tuesday). He is still waiting to htear if the citizens group collecting signatures has been successful and if the sale of the Yotes could be in jeopardy.

Looks like he is still keen to re-sign with the Yotes but isn't willing to wait out a 2 month court battle with the added uncertainty.

My guess is that even if he decided to move on from Phoenix, it will take at least a couple weeks for him to digest the offers and meet with the teams' management.

This will become J Schultz version II.

Please don't compare the 2.

One is just a prospect who thinks he's a NHL player, and acted like Lebron James, lied to his management, and gave his home town team the middle finger.

The other is a long time Veteran, captain of his team, played on team canada on 2 occasions, a heart and soul type of player whois been in the NHL for over 15 seasons, and a "proven" player. Not even close.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#97 DefCon1

DefCon1

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,533 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:47 PM

Exactly what the Canucks need, Doan can finally have a shot at a cup while playing close to his hometown in Southern Alberta.

It is probably between Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, and Phoenix if they get their crap together.

Why would he play in Calgary and Edmonton in his last years of playing days? I don't think he likes to lose this much, especially if he is leaving Phoenix. Eliminate Edmonton, Calgary and Winnipeg, because if he is leaving Phoenix, he is going to a cup contender.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#98 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,588 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:49 PM

Please don't compare the 2.

One is just a prospect who thinks he's a NHL player, and acted like Lebron James, lied to his management, and gave his home town team the middle finger.

The other is a long time Veteran, captain of his team, played on team canada on 2 occasions, a heart and soul type of player whois been in the NHL for over 15 seasons, and a "proven" player. Not even close.

I wasn't comparing the players. I was comparing the drama, expectations, number of CDC posts/scenarios and possible outcome/disappointment.

#99 Kumquats

Kumquats

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,437 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:49 PM

Don't waste your remaining years in Phoenix.

But I'm not getting my hopes up about this because I still feel like he's staying in Arizona.

Waste? Phoenix made it farther in this past playoffs.

Would be happy to see Doan in a Canucks uniform but I think the price might be a little too steep.

Edited by DRCN SLYR, 09 July 2012 - 12:50 PM.

Posted Image

#100 grandmaster

grandmaster

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,681 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:53 PM

We need this guy but we will have to over pay him to beat out the othe teams.

I think he will command a min of 5M based on the fact that he is the biggest FA available.

A lot of money for a guy passsed his prime....

Still a gamble that may be worth taking

Favorite all time Canuck: Bertuzzi 2002-2003 season
Most clutch all time Canuck: Linden 1994 Stanley Cup Playoffs
Most exciting all time Canuck: Pavel Bure 90's

#101 Edler's Mind Tricks

Edler's Mind Tricks

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:55 PM

Why the hell is Burrows (one of our best goal scorers) is playing on the third line below freaking Raymond?

Why does it matter? The lines will be shuffled a million times anyways.
I wanted to have the best checking line possible and I think that Higgins, Kesler and Burrows are our best checking forwards.

Hockey Management Intern for UBC Thunderbirds.
Associate Editor for Dobber Sports Network.
Designing a UBC Hockey Management Degree.

#102 DefCon1

DefCon1

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,533 posts

Waste? Phoenix made it farther in this past playoffs.

Would be happy to see Doan in a Canucks uniform but I think the price might be a little too steep.

Why do you talk like you will be paying for Doan's salary? As long as we have the cap space, no one should be looking at the price tag. We aren't a small market team, and with Luongo gone, we will have enough cap space. I doubt he will be above 6 million and 6 million is pushing it. He will probably sign in the 4.5-5.5 mil/yr range.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#103 Danthecanucksfan

Danthecanucksfan

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,346 posts

please make it happen

#104 Danthecanucksfan

Danthecanucksfan

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,346 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:56 PM

4.5 for 3 years is more than fair.

#105 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:57 PM

The only concern with Doan is the term. 3 years means him playing here at 38, or an empty cap hit if he retires. Not concerned about the dollars themselves.
PSN: CloakOfSkill

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists somewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

It bugs me when people pull out the gold medal for an example... Luongo only had to outplay Brodeur.

#106 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:57 PM

Wooooo !!!! Canucks would be favorites again if we got Doan !!!

Get er done Gillis !!!!
Posted Image

#107 JLumme

JLumme

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,106 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:59 PM

4.5 for 3 years is more than fair.

That sounds about right, but I think ~5 mil for 2 years is more in Gillis' wheelhouse.

#108 Kumquats

Kumquats

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,437 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:59 PM

Why do you talk like you will be paying for Doan's salary? As long as we have the cap space, no one should be looking at the price tag. We aren't a small market team, and with Luongo gone, we will have enough cap space. I doubt he will be above 6 million and 6 million is pushing it. He will probably sign in the 4.5-5.5 mil/yr range.

My bad, I must have been looking at someone else's capgeek page, I thought his salary was over 5.5.
Posted Image

#109 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,484 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:00 PM

Still see Doan retiring as a Coyote at this point. They appear to be affixed in Glendale, regardless of how profitable or successful they are.
Posted Image

#110 DefCon1

DefCon1

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,533 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:02 PM

Why does it matter? The lines will be shuffled a million times anyways.
I wanted to have the best checking line possible and I think that Higgins, Kesler and Burrows are our best checking forwards.

Burrows is our most important top 6 forward and I have rarely seen him on the 3rd line. 98% of the time he is on the top 2 lines. The fact that we need more scoring and you are relegating him to a checking line would be counterintuitive. We also have a plethora of checking forwards like Hansen, Lappiere and Malhotra. Also Sedins and Kesler have great chemistry with Burrows and that shouldn't be broken up to fit freaking Raymond on the 2nd line.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#111 komodo1970

komodo1970

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:05 PM

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Kesler - Doan
Higgins - Matthias - Hansen

Great Top 9. Need to do some fixing on our 4th line and add depth on D and we're set!

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Kesler - Doan
Higgins - LaPierre - Hansen
? - ? - Kassian

I think this is the best case scenario for us. A top 6 winger that doesn't require a long term commitment and will bring that added grit that we so badly need. Add a couple solid 4th liners and we're lookin good. Provided we do get Doan,that is.

Edited by komodo1970, 09 July 2012 - 01:11 PM.

#112 fishguy

fishguy

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:06 PM

Ref'd him in the WHL when he was in Kamloops....wouldn't find a guy with more heart....

#113 Kumquats

Kumquats

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,437 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:06 PM

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Kesler - Doan
Higgins - LaPierre - Hansen
Raymond - Malhotra - Kassian

Add a couple solid 4th liners and we're lookin good. Provided we do get Doan,that is.

Fixed
Posted Image

#114 ninja321

ninja321

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,958 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:07 PM

His wife is from Kamloops and they spend time there every off-season. That gives us an even better chance to grab him
Posted Image
Sig and Avatar by Me :)

#115 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:07 PM

Get it done. A perfect fit for both sides and perfect fits don't often come along.

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#116 Froggy Fresh

Froggy Fresh

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,928 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:09 PM

As much as I want Doan on the Canucks, I hope he stays with the Coyotes. They need him there as a leader and someone who works well in the community.

Posted Image

Credit to (>'-')> for the amazing sig!

#117 Ronning4center

Ronning4center

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:09 PM

Maybe trade May Ray for Yannik Weber? He could become a good top 4 some day and he is young and RD

Sedin-Sedin-Doan
Booth-Kesler-Burrows
Higgins-Lapierre-Hansen
Volpatti-Malhotra-Weise

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Garrison
Ballard-Weber

Schneider

No Kassian?

#118 Ronning4center

Ronning4center

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:10 PM

Get this done Gillis.... You have all canucks Nation behind you.

#119 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,588 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:11 PM

Burrows is our most important top 6 forward and I have rarely seen him on the 3rd line. 98% of the time he is on the top 2 lines. The fact that we need more scoring and you are relegating him to a checking line would be counterintuitive. We also have a plethora of checking forwards like Hansen, Lappiere and Malhotra. Also Sedins and Kesler have great chemistry with Burrows and that shouldn't be broken up to fit freaking Raymond on the 2nd line.

You're fighting for a piece of a pie that hasn't been baked yet.

Who cares how the lines would look. He would be an upgrade on whatever line his is put on.

The first step is to land him, then worry about where he will play.

Edited by DIBdaQUIB, 09 July 2012 - 01:11 PM.

#120 Neil HD

Neil HD

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:12 PM

No chance that happens. Schultz is just entering the NHL and has time to let the Oilers grow into a contender over the next 5 years. Doan has only a few years left in him, so he has more reason to join a clear-cut contender like the Canucks.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.