The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Need for Defence Vs. Their Need For Scoring

Meyer_Buttreeks

There are a lot of opinions with respect to our immediate needs. Some say that our defensive core needs an immediate upgrade and there have been countless posts dedicated to getting this done. Most notably are the calls from this board to sign Shea Weber.

There are also those who are proponents of upgrading our top 6 forwards. They target, among others, the likes Rick Nash and more recently Shane Doan. Some posters were hoping for Parise before he robbed, errr, I mean signed with Minny.

Acquiring any of these big names (and salaries) is a long shot but let's assume the Canucks actually announce a significant acquisition.

My question is: Do you think this (fictitious) signing should upgrade our forwards or our defense? WHY???

I'm one of those who, right or wrong, believe that we need more help up front than on the blue-line. Not saying our blueliners are flawless, I just think there are bigger issues to address up front.

For this reason I think the (imaginary/potential/hopeful) big splash acquisition should be a forward.

For the record, I honestly believe that the Canucks are still in great shape and only need a "bit of tweaking", not an overhaul.

I don't think the defense is an issue anymore, or atleast as big of an issue. Adding Garrison solidified out top 4 and if Ballard and Tanev can play the way they have shown they are capable of then we are set.

We do need one or two more forwards, a top 6 winger for sure (hopefully Doan) and then maybe a 3rd line center (some better 4th line guys would be nice too)

Hopefully we can get some extra forwards here that will help us and then I think we will be set.

I too think the needs up front out weigh the needs on defense.

I just read in the rumour and signings forum that Vancouver is one of Doans preferred destinations. This would be a perfect situation for us. Doan would only be seeking a two or three year deal. This gives our top prospects like Jensen and Gaunce the time they need to fully develop. It also solves our short term need for a top 6 forward to play with Booth and Kesler. It would also give a guy like Schroeder two star wingers with plenty of experience to mentor him if he has to fill in for Kesler.

Win Win

Think the defencemen we have are capable of being a solid 6 tandem but there's an issue with the defensive system that needs to be fixed. Teams seem to be able to break us wide open way too often. (Every series against CHI, finals against BOS)

Forwards are a bigger issue. Top line is secure and I feel that Kesler/Booth will be revitalized come October but we definitely need a winger for them. If the Twins/Burr weren't scoring this past season there wasn't anyone else who really was. Same with in the past few post seasons, we were always a one line time. Whether that be the Twins going or Kes going, everyone didn't seem to be playing well at the same time for some reason. It was always one line getting hot.

Forwards are a bigger issue but honestly, I think a coaching change was what this team really needed.

Predicted 4-step Canuck fan reaction process after we get Shane Doan.

1: Be REALLY excited about us getting Doan.

2: Realize that he's slowing down and is almost a spent force later on in the season.

3: Cry about him being overpaid.

4: Cry about not getting Getzlaf and/or Perry when they hit UFA next summer.

Scoring... No doubt

Defence is more solid with the addition of Garrison

Big Holes still to fill...

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - _________

Higgins - Lappierre - Hansen

Volpatti - Malhotra - Weiss

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Garrison

______ - _______

Scoring... No doubt

Defence is more solid with the addition of Garrison

Big Holes still to fill...

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - _________

Higgins - Lappierre - Hansen

Volpatti - Malhotra - Weiss

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Garrison

______ - _______

For offence, I'm hoping Raymond gets a bounce-back year and Booth hopefully gels with Kesler.

With that said, I want a solid defenceman. We don't have a reliable d-man besides Hamhuis.

Salo was, but we let him go.

Edler and Bieksa were good offensively, but on our own end, they were brutal last year.

Ballard was average, sometimes good, sometimes terrible.

Kinda same thing with Tanev, but more defensively reliable. Too small though.

As for Garrison, well, still have to wait and see.

So yeah, not solid enough in my opinion. Hopefully, Garrison is the real deal...

Scoring. We have a team that is defensively sound; the times that we get blown open is when we get desperate for goals. 8 goals in 7 games is not enough. Secondary scoring is important. The problem with the Sedin's is if they are neutralized by an allstar defender and only score a few goals, but keep them pinned in their own end, (such as the Boston series), but no one else is capable of picking off the weaker lines, you are going to lose.

We have tons of primary scoring with the first line and powerplay, the second line needs to be fixed (and Kesler needs to be healthy). The third lines success will also depend on how well the second line is repaired, though we may need a centre. Our fourth line seems to have pretty solid options at the moment.

gillis might add a piece or two from the luongo deal, but otherwise, i think we can go with what we have....

sedins and jensen,,,,,,booth, higgins and burrows,,,,,,,raymond, lapierre and hansen,,,,,,volpatti, malhotra and weise/ ebbett

hamhuis, bieksa,,,,,edler, garrison,,,,,ballard, tanev,,,,albets, ?

schneider, lack or ?

Offense is the more pressing issue. As we all witnessed in the finals against Boston and the last year against the Kings, our forwards fell flat on there face. The open space and extra time you get during the regular season just disappears in the playoffs. So adding a forward or two that can put the puck in the net would be great in my eyes.

Archived