The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Need for Defence Vs. Their Need For Scoring

Meyer_Buttreeks

scoring. because - theoretically at least - they already have a solid top-4, and 5th and 6th looks good too.

scoring becuase they couldn't score in the playoffs (what is it, less than a goal per game last 2 playoff series? not that bad but close!!!). they have scoring talent that can take advantage of the easy goals and power play markers. what they need are more players who can get the hard ones, win puck battles in front of the net, etc. aka gritty scoring.

We are at least 1x Top defenseman away from full power/depth for the defense group.

While we are at least 1x Top 6 Forward + 1x 3rd Line Forward (centre) away from full power/depth for the forward group.

So we need more help to upgrade the forward group, but we are far from "optimized" in the defense department. Especially considering the numerous defensive brainfarts when things get tough.

I do not see it as an either/or but rather as all of the above.

The Canucks could use an improvement in scoring from the d-men. Hopefully the signing of Garrison will address some of that need. Maybe Connauton will also supply some defensive scoring (assuming he makes the team).

The Canucks do need some more size on the back end. Getting Garrison has addressed part of that need. Having more size would still be nice to have (ie. someone who plays at over 220+), but I suspect that will have to be addressed from elsewhere.

The Canucks could use an additional top-6 forward, which would hopefully improve scoring chances should the Sedin line get shut down. Eventually this might be addressed from within the system (Kassian, Jensen, etc), but what to do until that time.

Should Doan agree to sign here then the problem is likely solved. There could be a guy who comes back in the assumed Luongo deal, but more likely this guy would address the need for a third line center.

regards,

G.

sadly to say, we'll never win a cup with our current core.. it's shown years after years after years.. the top guys gets shut down.. secondary offense is non existent and we are relying on our PP to do any kind of scoring which over the past few playoff have shown refs are more and more reluntant to make any calls.. our goalie and defense might be good enough.. but u ain't gonna win any games if you are going to score 1-2 goals and hope your goalie shuts them down every single game.

I think it's very important that Booth is healthy so he can prepare for the season. He showed flashes of brilliance last season and getting a full off-season might do wonders for him.

But i still think it's not enough for our offence. Higgins is a player that can fill in good on any of our lines, but i don't think he might be the best fit for Kesler and Booth. Therefore, i would say there's a gap on our 2nd line right now that needs to be filled somehow.

Kind of all over on the post and my thoughts... sorry dudes.

In short if no Weber then we need offense more.

Sigh... I'm unsure of our play at the Defensive end of the ice until its set... WITH WEBER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is a top 5 D-man in the NHL!!!! Who must not want to sign in Nashville!!!!!

- hes gone to arbitration before...

- He hasn't signed an extension yet.....

- He's fricken from BC....

- Onyl what 26/27 years old... as ferrero would say... (Are you kidding me?)

- Nashville just lost Suter... the're gonna have to trade him, if he plays out the year hes gone afterwards.... Hamhuis... Suter.... Weber Next.....

We've got a good shot at this guy... if we can place 10 million to land Sundin....

We always sell-out... no revenue issues in Vancouver (i think)

IMO we need a WEBER who can clear the net/hit/impose fear/fight/pass and cause just chaos not only on the power play, but at all times with his shot, especially with the minutes he can handle...

So according to every retort where i put forth the Weber claim... its not gonna happen.

What worries me is that by picking up a good forward, that could restrict the offer that we would be able to make for Weber and put us out of contention for him.

Is easier to obtain a forward than a #1 Dman.

Heck theres more forwards than d-men anyways...

Hope Cory does well in net.... cause if faulters... we're in trouble.

Do the Lou Trade... get assets back... determine if we can neg with Weber for extension.... if he agrees to sign after the trade... then flip assets in from Luo deal and what assets we have to land Weber from Nashville.

Even if we traded Kesler or Edler & Assets for Weber.... we'd end up with the better player...

After Webers here then get some scoring...

I Do agree that Doan would help Kassian develop.... I think the price may be too high to get Weber afterwards.

Don't want Semin AT ALL.... want to see this team Hustle (Higgens, Hansen, Burrows, Kesler) its known that Semin takes nights off....

And just remember... If it not for the loss of Luc B..... we'd possibly have that #1 D man here already.

We'd better resign Burrows.

Well now that Mueller is off the Market is it pretty much Doan or bust.

Then we will have to look at the trade route and give up a valuable asset or two.

I don't see much of a chance we get the perfect fit we are looking for in the Luongo trade. Unless Gillis can magicly pull Lupul out of the hat.

But it won't happen imo.

Archived