The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What to do with Keith Ballard

CanucksJay

AV rewards, challenges and reacts with ice-time and roles like any other coach would to his player's performance. The difference between him and other coaches, is that he can replace an inconsistent player at any position much easily from within his lineup than almost any other coach.....and that's how Canuck players are told and understand from day 1, about 'earning icetime' here.

The Ballard hate on cdc is blind and comes from his play during the start of his season here

how hes still hated on i dont know

the guy is an amazing skater , safe in his own end , great at getting the puck up ice , and those hipchecks gotta love them

people can pretend he makes turn over after turn over but he doesnt , in fact he was our best dman before he got his concussion last season

yet still , most cdc members blindly hate because there sheep who just type what the guy above them thinks

they dont actually watch the games

The Ballard hate on cdc is blind and comes from his play during the start of his season here

the guy is an amazing skater , safe in his own end , great at getting the puck up ice , and those hipchecks gotta love them

people can pretend he makes turn over after turn over but he doesnt , in fact he was our best dman before he got his concussion last season

yet still , most cdc members blindly hate because there sheep who just type what the guy above them thinks

I still have faith in Ballard here. He's good at jumping up in the play and going in alone. He doesn't bury those chances though.

Remember Game 1 last season against the Pens? Ballard scored that awesome goal and everyone loved him then. :lol:

Didn't do much after that though.

I'd like to see a Ballard-Garrison pairing. If the Canucks sign Doan, I'm pretty sure Ballard can still fit with Kesler on LTIR.

Keith is a smooth skating defenseman that is quick on his feet, he was the Canucks best d-man the playoffs for sure! But that being said the team really didn't show up against LA. I think Keith deserves one more shot, but that also being said he really needs to show up to the floor and be ready to play. He has only amassed 14 points in the last 2 years. That's pretty brutal.. In his last year with the panthers he had 28 pts, that's double of what he has put up in 2 years with Vancouver. I agree that he hasn't been used in the right places, and AV's love for Rome was just retarded. Tanev and Ballard would be a good bottom pairing for the Canucks, but i will argue that a 4.2M cap hit is steep for his position on the team.

If a deal comes along and Ballard can be shipped i'd like to see it happen, but if nothing like that goes on, give him one more chance to prove that he was worth dealing one of the Canucks best prospects. If he doesn't show up the next season i'd try to get him out of Vancouver. There are a lot of other players in the NHL that can play a 5-6 d-man spot effectively and do it for significantly cheaper.

Ballard is also one of the only guy that will figh too. Bieksa doesn't fight anymore, and I don't think we'll have both Weise and Volpatti in the lineup together much. Weise is horrible at fighting anywas. So that's just Lapierre that can fight. I'll take another guy that fights and plays hockey any day.

Keith Ballard is a good defenceman and seems like a very decent guy. But at 4.2 million his cap hit is too high for a third pairing D.

And there is no way Ballard moves ahead of Hamhuis, Bieksa, Edler or Garrison on the depth chart. Frankly, I also him as behind Tanev on the depth chart. (Remember that Hamhuis and Tanev were rock solid as a shutdown pairing when they played together late in the season -- on the numbers the best shutdown combo the Canucks had and Tanev is a very young guy who is still improving. Ballard isn't).

If your #6 D is getting 4.2 million there has been a mistake somewhere along the line. And some of D prospects could have a chance of making the team (Connauton and Sauve).

Ballard could play top 4 on a lot of teams, however. Trading him makes sense if the right offer comes along.

Archived