Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

What to do with Keith Ballard

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
144 replies to this topic

#31 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,322 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:58 PM

Because both Edler and Hamhuis are better than him. When he was given PP time he had trouble holding the line and was guilty of attempting pinches he had no hope of winning. Which is why, when it came down to it, AV put Rome out there ahead of him. At least Rome was decent holding the line and played a safe game.

I have never liked how little ice the 3rd pairing gets. Playing Edler + 25 minutes a night for example is not so smart come April. Bieksa and Hamhuis aren't much different. I would like the 3rd pairiing at 13 to 16 minutes a game. Whether Ballard is one of them or not makes no dif. Since Van should be a CUP contender I have no problem with his experience but that is a coach's value decision. No matter what I want Sauve and K-Conn to get some games this year.

#32 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:59 PM

I keep asking the same question and never really seem to get a logical answer.

The facts:
Ballard has been tried on the right side and has said he's not comfortable there.
Edler has played right side and has said he's not comfortable there.
Why would you break up Bieksa and Hamhuis? Numbers have been previously posted that they both perform better together than with any other D on the team. Although hammer was also tried on the right side with Edler and it didn't go that well.

So you have Hamhuis, Edler and Ballard all playing the left side. Edler gets the offensive ice time while Hamhuis gets the defensive ice time.

The question:
Who do you take ice time away from to give Ballard more ice time: Hamhuis or Edler?

It has NOTHING to do with AV not liking Ballard. It has everything to do with AV liking winning. The third pairing will always get the least ice time unless the game is a blowout.

Sometimes a guy simply doesnt fit in and if moved elsewhere his confidence returns and the situation is different. I think Keith deserves a shot to resume his career somewhere and become a top 4 guy if he can.
Posted Image

#33 Wolverinė

Wolverinė

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:13 PM

Posted Image

Can you honestly tell me that AV has treated all the players he's had in his tenure here equally and fairly?

His obvious favouritism is sickening and often hinders our chances of winning (ex: the amount of chances Raymond gets).

Edited by Wolverinė, 09 July 2012 - 04:14 PM.

Posted Image

#34 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:26 PM

Can you honestly tell me that AV has treated all the players he's had in his tenure here equally and fairly?

His obvious favouritism is sickening and often hinders our chances of winning (ex: the amount of chances Raymond gets).

His 'favourtism' as you call it, is based on who's playing the most consistent for him, as he also has the luxury of depth at virtually every position. This is a group of vets looking to clinch a Cup....it doesn't lend itself well to rookies or to large swaths of inconsistency by any player. Virtually all players, outside of a handful have been moved around the lineup or pairings based on their play. Even the Sedins once or twice have been sat down when their back-check wasn't up to snuff.

AV rewards, challenges and reacts with ice-time and roles like any other coach would to his player's performance. The difference between him and other coaches, is that he can replace an inconsistent player at any position much easily from within his lineup than almost any other coach.....and that's how Canuck players are told and understand from day 1, about 'earning icetime' here.

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#35 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,843 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:28 PM

Playing him would be a start.

#36 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,000 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:29 PM

You can also argue that Raymond gets the chances he does because of the player he can be. It's an attempt to get him out of his funk. To find his game. The best way to do that is obviously by playing. And this team is good enough to succeed for some time despite his shortcomings.
Posted Image

#37 thehamburglar

thehamburglar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:36 PM

Ballard should be on second PP. He has good skating and offensive abilitys, I remember he would have had 3-4 goals at least, if the bounces went his way.
Posted Image

#38 VegasCanuck

VegasCanuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:42 PM

I'm going to go WAY out on a limb here and make a suggestion that probably sounds completely whacked and will get me flamed for the rest of the summer....

Ok.....everybody ready......here goes......

We wait and see what he does in Training camp and how he fits with the new revamped group!

:shock:

#39 Wolverinė

Wolverinė

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:47 PM

You can also argue that Raymond gets the chances he does because of the player he can be. It's an attempt to get him out of his funk. To find his game. The best way to do that is obviously by playing. And this team is good enough to succeed for some time despite his shortcomings.

Although I agree with "playing through it", Raymond's problem isn't rust or "squeezing the stick".

His problem is that his greatest asset is speed but he's afraid to take the puck to the net... you know... the place that goals are scored, especially in the playoffs.

If he's not going to use his only significant offensive quality then he's virtually useless offensively.

I do like his back-check and defense, so I'd be okay with him on the 4th line (not for 2.3M though).

Edited by Wolverinė, 09 July 2012 - 04:47 PM.

Posted Image

#40 Kerry Park Islanders

Kerry Park Islanders

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:41 PM

The reason Ballard "struggles" here is the same reason Hodgson, Grabner, Shirokov, Wellwood, etc. "struggled"... they are being used incorrectly by a stubborn coach.

He likes pluggers or two-way players... may god help you if you aren't a grinder or a Sedin.

I hope Ballard gets a fair chance this year, at least on the PP. I am perfectly happy with a Ballard - Tanev 3rd pairing.

Not like he has much trade value anyways, and we don't have anybody who can eat ~15-17 minutes in his place.

#41 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,526 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:50 PM

AV rewards, challenges and reacts with ice-time and roles like any other coach would to his player's performance. The difference between him and other coaches, is that he can replace an inconsistent player at any position much easily from within his lineup than almost any other coach.....and that's how Canuck players are told and understand from day 1, about 'earning icetime' here.

Which brings us back to Raymond-again.

#42 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:44 PM

The Ballard hate on cdc is blind and comes from his play during the start of his season here

how hes still hated on i dont know

the guy is an amazing skater , safe in his own end , great at getting the puck up ice , and those hipchecks gotta love them

people can pretend he makes turn over after turn over but he doesnt , in fact he was our best dman before he got his concussion last season

yet still , most cdc members blindly hate because there sheep who just type what the guy above them thinks

they dont actually watch the games

Edited by cIutch, 09 July 2012 - 06:45 PM.

Posted Image

#43 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:52 PM

The Ballard hate on cdc is blind and comes from his play during the start of his season here

the guy is an amazing skater , safe in his own end , great at getting the puck up ice , and those hipchecks gotta love them

people can pretend he makes turn over after turn over but he doesnt , in fact he was our best dman before he got his concussion last season

yet still , most cdc members blindly hate because there sheep who just type what the guy above them thinks

I dont hate Ballard. I think this is the wrong situation for him. My hope is whatever happens benefits Ballard. He has earned it.
Posted Image

#44 HockeyHobo73

HockeyHobo73

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:58 PM

We should let him wear Fin's costume so he can be our mascot

#45 Line Juggler

Line Juggler

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:17 PM

Play him with Tanev in the 5 & 6 position on defence.
Posted Image

#46 ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:24 PM

It seemed like Ballard was putting it together last season and then he got hurt. Hopefully he can turn it around because if he's not contributing it's a big stain on the cap with that contract.

Ceterum censeo Chicaginem delendam esse

#47 scottyP.

scottyP.

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:46 PM

Ballard and Tanev were great together last year. If he can get his game back, his cap hit is quite reasonable.

#48 scottyP.

scottyP.

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:48 PM

Probably our best defencemen during our first round exit against the kings too.

#49 ButterBean

ButterBean

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:55 PM

Not over Hamhuis or Edler.

#50 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:02 PM

Not over Hamhuis or Edler.

at the time he was the most reliable , hamhuis and juice were not clicking and they were both making mistakes , edler i cant really argue he was pretty solid all year , but you know what i mean he was playing great hockey and longer minutes and then he got concussed

even when he came back he was good , never puts up points tho so i understand why some people rag on him but he doesnt deserve it to the level he gets it
Posted Image

#51 DollarAndADream

DollarAndADream

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,619 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:06 PM

I still have faith in Ballard here. He's good at jumping up in the play and going in alone. He doesn't bury those chances though.

Remember Game 1 last season against the Pens? Ballard scored that awesome goal and everyone loved him then. :lol:
Didn't do much after that though.

I'd like to see a Ballard-Garrison pairing. If the Canucks sign Doan, I'm pretty sure Ballard can still fit with Kesler on LTIR.

x1vXIze.png
RIP LB/RR - Signature credit to JimLahey

small.pngCDCEHL

#52 Jaku

Jaku

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:48 PM

Keith is a smooth skating defenseman that is quick on his feet, he was the Canucks best d-man the playoffs for sure! But that being said the team really didn't show up against LA. I think Keith deserves one more shot, but that also being said he really needs to show up to the floor and be ready to play. He has only amassed 14 points in the last 2 years. That's pretty brutal.. In his last year with the panthers he had 28 pts, that's double of what he has put up in 2 years with Vancouver. I agree that he hasn't been used in the right places, and AV's love for Rome was just retarded. Tanev and Ballard would be a good bottom pairing for the Canucks, but i will argue that a 4.2M cap hit is steep for his position on the team.
If a deal comes along and Ballard can be shipped i'd like to see it happen, but if nothing like that goes on, give him one more chance to prove that he was worth dealing one of the Canucks best prospects. If he doesn't show up the next season i'd try to get him out of Vancouver. There are a lot of other players in the NHL that can play a 5-6 d-man spot effectively and do it for significantly cheaper.
R.I.P- #37 Rick Rypien, #28 Luc Bourdon, #38 Pavol Demitra Forever Canucks.
Posted Image
Credit to Khalifawiz501 for the Sig.
Posted ImageColorado Avalanche GM in CDC STHS Sim League

#53 mrsasaki

mrsasaki

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:55 PM

Ballard is also one of the only guy that will figh too. Bieksa doesn't fight anymore, and I don't think we'll have both Weise and Volpatti in the lineup together much. Weise is horrible at fighting anywas. So that's just Lapierre that can fight. I'll take another guy that fights and plays hockey any day.

#54 Kesler's Nose

Kesler's Nose

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:55 PM

Umm... We try trade him, Jensen and a draft pick to Minnesota for Setoguchi. :rolleyes:

Then we replace him by trading Lu to Toronto for a package that will include Franson. :emot-parrot:

"It's an opportunity, we don't look at it as a last chance... We look at it as an opportunity to do something great. We are going to take it period by period, shift by shift. You just have to be better than the guy across from you... Every guy in this locker room I can say believes we can do this." - Ryan Kesler

Posted Image

#55 JamesB

JamesB

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:51 PM

Keith Ballard is a good defenceman and seems like a very decent guy. But at 4.2 million his cap hit is too high for a third pairing D.

And there is no way Ballard moves ahead of Hamhuis, Bieksa, Edler or Garrison on the depth chart. Frankly, I also him as behind Tanev on the depth chart. (Remember that Hamhuis and Tanev were rock solid as a shutdown pairing when they played together late in the season -- on the numbers the best shutdown combo the Canucks had and Tanev is a very young guy who is still improving. Ballard isn't).

If your #6 D is getting 4.2 million there has been a mistake somewhere along the line. And some of D prospects could have a chance of making the team (Connauton and Sauve).

Ballard could play top 4 on a lot of teams, however. Trading him makes sense if the right offer comes along.

#56 Dayman

Dayman

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:01 PM

I say we keep him, give him another chance, maybe more minutes, AV?

#57 Cr8zyCanuck

Cr8zyCanuck

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:07 AM

This.

That is exactly my thinking, he's stuck on the 3rd because of his chemistry with Tanev, and cause he had some tough stretches of play. But that is just an added bonus now to have a 2nd pairing guy on the 3rd pair.

I admire your optimism. I'm a realist myself.

Posted Image

#58 1970 and beyond

1970 and beyond

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:08 AM

I think he probably got the big contract he came with for a reason. Play him, let him get comfortable. He just may surprise a few.

Been a fan from day one. Some of those days were good and some were bad.

#59 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,484 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:14 AM

Umm... We try trade him, Jensen and a draft pick to Minnesota for Setoguchi. :rolleyes:

I would never do that, I would much rather stick with the great young player we have in Jensen, we will probably get another one with that 1st round pick. And I want to see more of Ballard, I think there is more there.

I admire your optimism. I'm a realist myself.

Posted Image

So you agree or disagree? I'm a realist too, but you could say Optimist/Realist, I'm optimistic about players and things happening but I'm not someone who covers but the truth all the time.

So I'm a bit of both.

But Agree or disagree?

zackass.png

#60 Scoobydooby

Scoobydooby

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,388 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:41 AM

Which brings us back to Raymond-again.

and kesler for much of the year.. got plenty of ice time even though be played mediocre for most of the season.

Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.