The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What to do with Keith Ballard

CanucksJay

I'm just pointing our an inaccuracy in your post. You made it sound like Raymond was treated without favoritism and AV gradually demoted him from 2nd to 3rd line and then to 4th and finally the pressbox because he wasn't making the most out of his ice time (Which WOULD be a fair move by AV IF that was what actually happened). However, that wasn't actually the case. Raymond was given ample opportunity to succeed and while he had stints on 3rd and 4th line because he wasn't producing, he then actually got promoted to 1st line against Columbus BEFORE his one game scratch and then game back from the pressbox back to 1st line with the Sedins against the Hawks. Does that seem fair to you?

This is basically what happened.

Raymond played like crap but he kept getting 2nd line minutes. Finally he got demoted to 3rd line and still played like crap. Then again got demoted to 4th line. And then all of a sudden, promoted to 1st line against Columbus? Does that sound like earning your ice time? He then gets scratched and AV re-adds him into the lineup on first line.

If I was another player on that team like Hodgson, Shirokov, Ballard and saw that happen, how would that make you feel? Doesn't sound very fair to me. But hey, I guess it makes sense because his defensive play is solid... :picard:

Ballard and Raymond are apples and oranges.

Ballard came to the team injured and has been injured during most of his time here-hip surgery,back injury,multiple concussions,MCL.

Every time his game got going he went down with an ailment/injury.

Last year Ballard was healthy and played defensively sound,protecting his team mates on a team of woosies and hit opponents like a Mack truck.

Any GM with half a scouting staff barely functioning would take Ballard in a heart beat.

He made Eddy,Bxa,Rome,Tanev and Alberts look like tepid rookies.

Ballard rocks.He and Hammer were the saving grace on D last season.

"What to do with Keith Ballard"

Take in a good movie? Rollerblading in Stanley Park? Dinner at the Keg? Nice day at the beach?

Really depends on what you want to do too... Ballard seems pretty laid back and doesn't seem too picky on what you would want to do with him.. The only thing he doesn't want to do is earn his paycheque..

Yeah,like 5' 10" Keith standing up to 6'3" 225 Bertuzzi Feb 2/12:

http://www.hockeyfig...m/fights/109420

Or,Keith pummeling Pavelski Jan 21/12:

http://www.hockeyfig...m/fights/109051

Do you see him sticking up for his team mates there Hokey Hobo?

See the smile on his team mates faces as he exits to the dressing room?

That is earning your keep-big time.

Maybe you missed Keith 'the laid back money grubber,waiting for his paycheque' Ballard annihilating 6' 3" Corey Perry :

http://www.hockeyfig...m/fights/106635

See Perry whack him with a two hander and when Keith pummels the living crap out of him he still lets him go when he has him down- but should really knock his teeth into the back of his throat? You mean that passive Keith Ballard,Hokey? That must be what you mean.

You do know Keith is the fastest skater on the Canucks team,right? That laid back guy you accuse of being only in hockey for a cheque?

Maybe these hip checks will wake you up from your Hokey Hollow:

Ballard could eat you for breakfast,Hobo,after dinner,before dinner,after rollerblading or before and especially on a nice day at the beach.

You still don't get it. He didn't "play like crap". He just didn't produce. Even when he's not producing he's defensively responsible. Although he's not helping the team offensively, he wasn't hurting the team defensively. And, as I said, a veteran will always get more slack than a prospect.

Ballrad played like crap his first season. He was often lucky to be in the lineup during the season. And when he played better this past season he still wasn't better than Hamhuis nor Edler. Which puts him where? Third pairing with third pairing ice time. I don't understand why this is so difficult to grasp.

The prospects all had problems with defensive play. What good is it to score a goal when you are responsible for two against? AV will always reward players for good play. But it typically has to be good play both directions. The prospects you're whining about went through the very same thing the veterans that came up under AV went through. That's not favoritism, that's consistency.

Raymond being moved to the top line wasn't a promotion. It was an effort to get him producing. How many have you seen a player slump and when finally breaks the goose egg he suddenly starts producing? In this case it didn't work. AV has done this before with other players. It's not like Raymond spent the rest of the season with the Sedins. That would indeed have been an unearned promotion.

Hey as much as I want to debate here, the thread is about Ballard and we're going off on a tangent. We can take this up in the plethora of Raymond threads lol.

As for Ballard, I really hope he shines this season. He needs to play that steady boring defensive game on the 3rd unit but if one of the top 4 goes down to injury, I hope he can switch gears and excel at moving the puck, QB-ing the PP etc

Good post.

Ballard is going to have to start concentrating on playing defense first if he wants to stay with this team. Neither Tanev or Ballard are that big so they are really going to have to play a smart game and cover for each other.....if they can do that, I don't care if they ever score a goal....just keep the puck out of our zone.

Ballard and Raymond are apples and oranges.

Ballard came to the team injured and has been injured during most of his time here-hip surgery,back injury,multiple concussions,MCL.

Every time his game got going he went down with an ailment/injury.

Last year Ballard was healthy and played defensively sound,protecting his team mates on a team of woosies and hit opponents like a Mack truck.

Any GM with half a scouting staff barely functioning would take Ballard in a heart beat.

He made Eddy,Bxa,Rome,Tanev and Alberts look like tepid rookies.

Ballard rocks.He and Hammer were the saving grace on D last season.

Great post, spoken like a true fan of Ballard. I knew who Keith was before he came to Vancouver and prayed every year since his rookie season that we get him. It makes me sad that his production dropped off so much because of injuries and whatever else was happening. I hope he can stay healthy this season and show everyone exactly what he can bring to this team.

If you follow the video I commented upon Keith 'sticking up for his team mates' you will see Canuck after Canuck getting run over.Not videos-video.That is your first mistake.

Hamhuis gets run and then Burrows.

Ballard then interjects by engaging the opposition,thus changing the momentum.

You never saw the ice if you can't figure out what I said.

If you did play the game,you have no idea what I am talking about for obvious reasons.

Either way you need to seriously stop telling me to learn something when you have no clue about what you are talking about.

Engage your brain before being made to look like a dick.

Archived