The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If We Acquire Shane Doan Does He Become Our New Captain?

Pasific Coluseum

If it takes making Doan the captain and giving him #19 then get it done. Naslund was a somewhat useless captain anyway. Much more respect is due Sedin but time for a revamp of what the Canucks mean and how to achieve a CUP. Sedin has never been a type to grab the iniative if he had then Kesler and Burrows would not have found the disaster they did when they came to the team. Being a leading offensive power does not equate to effective leadership. Ask LA and their captain Dustin Brown.

You need a captain who is prepared to look opposing players in the eye and clearly show them that the CUP will be ours. No more turning the other cheek and all that BS. The window is closing and DOan would be a key piece to making it happen in Vancouver.

hahaha yes lets make Doan the captain and force the Sedin's out and alienate Kesler and tick off the rest of the roster who show loyalty to their Captain and best players Henrik and Daniel Sedin. I think that it worked well in 97 with Messier and Linden and I think it will work this time around too!!!

If it takes making Doan the captain and giving him #19 then get it done. Naslund was a somewhat useless captain anyway. Much more respect is due Sedin but time for a revamp of what the Canucks mean and how to achieve a CUP. Sedin has never been a type to grab the iniative if he had then Kesler and Burrows would not have found the disaster they did when they came to the team. Being a leading offensive power does not equate to effective leadership. Ask LA and their captain Dustin Brown.

You need a captain who is prepared to look opposing players in the eye and clearly show them that the CUP will be ours. No more turning the other cheek and all that BS. The window is closing and DOan would be a key piece to making it happen in Vancouver.

Soooo do we want everyone to lose respect for the organization? Retire #'s one year and then change our mind the next year? Honestly I don't think Doan has done enough in his career to earn Nazzy's # and Henrik's C. Both did so much for this Franchise, and just because Swedes aren't as vocal as Canadian or American leaders doesn't mean that they don't have an effective of leadership style, look at Lidstrom.

Sign Doan, that would be awesome, but don't ruin the integrity of the Franchise for a guy who's usually 60 point guy. Granted we need that, but not if you lose the respect of the team

Man, what a retarded response to a perfectly good question that the OP made! This retarded response is the perfect example of why the minus button should NEVER be brought back! The vast majority of members here are group think morons, virtual bully morons, and if any of you 69 people were to take an IQ test, I gaurentee that ALL of you who plussed this guy would fall well below the average!

Doan if he signs here for say 4 years should be considered for captaincy, next year, not this.

Henrik is a great player its just he doesn't have the 'it' factor to be a Captain. By giving the Captaincy to Shane Doan it might benefit the team because it would put less pressure on Henrik. This means he could focus on scoring. Everyone knows Henrik isn't the most vocal leader. Shane Doan is Canadian and I kind of compare him to Trevor Linden. A player who was born to lead a team.

If we get Doan I want him to become our new Captain. And its not like the organization hasn't changed captains before i.e Luongo

:picard:

Doan is going to walk up to Henrik and literally rip the C off his sweater, leaving a hole in his jersey. Henrik will have to wear a uniform with a hole in it for the rest of the year.

Daniel and Kesler will sit there and do nothing as Doan walks off with the C . Its Messier redux.

All you had to do was see the way Doan stared Brown down after Doan outmuscled him to know who should be captain of the Canucks. Doan wants the CUP and will do what it takes to get it. Take the pressure off the Twins. Hank should offer the 'C' to Doan.

The biggest benefit signing this guy will be his prepping of Kesler to take over the 'C' when he hangs them up.

Henrik is a great player its just he doesn't have the 'it' factor to be a Captain. By giving the Captaincy to Shane Doan it might benefit the team because it would put less pressure on Henrik. This means he could focus on scoring. Everyone knows Henrik isn't the most vocal leader. Shane Doan is Canadian and I kind of compare him to Trevor Linden. A player who was born to lead a team.

If we get Doan I want him to become our new Captain. And its not like the organization hasn't changed captains before i.e Luongo

What is wrong with people on this board? Let's not forget that the Canucks won 2 presidents trophies and a SCF with Hank as captain. Hank has won a hart trophy and a Ted Lindsay trophy...What has Doan done?

I can't believe it's even a question. :picard:

How is it a stupid question? If we are fortunate enough to land Shane Doan, he would be the most experienced NHL'r on the team, who was just awarded the 2012 NHL Leadership Award. Like I said, give him a year with the A, and then consider him for Captain.

Believe it or not Trevor Linden himself handed the C down to Messier, because of the career Messier already had which was pretty impressive. Although Trevor should of known better for what Messier did to him in the 94 playoffs, but unfortunately this is the type of guy Trevor Linden was, if he felt someone older deserved the C he would hand it down to them, this one was just his biggest mistake and even Trevor has admitted to that.

Archived