The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If We Acquire Shane Doan Does He Become Our New Captain?

Pasific Coluseum

I'd rather have Shane Doan as a captain any day! However, it seems the current Canuck management era chooses to go the stats = captain route. I'd rather see someone who plays with some emotion and determination be our future captain, even if that's a 3rd liner or stay home defencemen.

Oh. And someone who shows up April - June. Swedes tend to hibernate come spring time.

Have some of you even ever played sports? Taking away the leadership role from the guy that is the centerpiece of the core of the organization and giving it to the new guy who the team is not familiar with is crazy. I'm not even talking about about Henrik's ego here, I am talking about how Henrik knows the team so well, as he's skated and played with the core for 5+ years now, and has taken the newer guys to the finals. There is a bond that they share, that Doan just doesn't have.

So, that is why we :picard: this post. It is beyond stupidity.

Where is the minus button when you need one. In fact 7/10 of the threads I've read recently could have used a good dose of minusing. (At least half of them are locked for spam).

Henrik is a great player its just he doesn't have the 'it' factor to be a Captain. By giving the Captaincy to Shane Doan it might benefit the team because it would put less pressure on Henrik. This means he could focus on scoring. Everyone knows Henrik isn't the most vocal leader. Shane Doan is Canadian and I kind of compare him to Trevor Linden. A player who was born to lead a team.

If we get Doan I want him to become our new Captain. And its not like the organization hasn't changed captains before i.e Luongo

Fixed.

In all honesty, this really was a pretty poor question. Henrik has earned that captaincy through determination, hard work, and has shown that he can lead the team from within. Hell, both Sedins have show that they can lead either in tandem or apart and have earned not only the respect of their teammates, but around the league as well. As much as Shane Doan might make a great captain, you don't disrespect a career-long Canuck and proven leader in the room by giving the "C" to the newly acquired veteran. A gesture like that would look unfavourable from any standpoint.

Furthermore, I'm sure that to the players it really doesn't matter what letter is stitched on whose jersey... they know and look up to the leader they themselves elect through comradery, experience, and skill. Good leaders naturally rise and are trusted with that leadership by those around them. No doubt for the Vancouver Canucks, that's Henrik Sedin.

There will never be another Canuck captain like Trevor Linden. Smyl came close but that's it. Even Trevor Linden saw the positives about handing the captaincy over to Messier. Sedin should do the same.

This is all about winning the CUP, not a put down to Sedin. It is about creating a fresh drive to win the CUP this year. If MG can sign Doan then Gillis can possibly attract Weber into the fold THIS year by trade. The Preds have to trade Weber to get anything before he walks as a UFA. This has to be the game plan and Hank should be clued in.

Archived