Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* - - - - 13 votes

If We Acquire Shane Doan Does He Become Our New Captain?

• Please log in to reply
213 replies to this topic

#181 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:41 PM

There will never be another Canuck captain like Trevor Linden. Smyl came close but that's it. Even Trevor Linden saw the positives about handing the captaincy over to Messier. Sedin should do the same.

This is all about winning the CUP, not a put down to Sedin. It is about creating a fresh drive to win the CUP this year. If MG can sign Doan then Gillis can possibly attract Weber into the fold THIS year by trade. The Preds have to trade Weber to get anything before he walks as a UFA. This has to be the game plan and Hank should be clued in.

As I stated earlier in this thread, there was a hell of a lot more to that story than you've let on. Trevor Linden is a class act all the way, and his comments at the time, regarding handing over the C were not the truth, the whole truth or even a modicum of the truth. There was no way he was going to come out and say what that truth was at the time, and he still, today, attempts to preserve the impression that he wasn't pressured and forced into handing over that C. People who were there at the time know the truth and that's good enough for me.

It's really too bad you bought the 'official' story hook, line and sinker. If not for an unparalleled, classy Trevor Linden, that whole Messier and captaincy issue would have been even uglier than it was and it would have cast a terrible light on the Canucks organization.

Mr. Class & Integrity all the way, is our Trevor Linden.

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 10 July 2012 - 04:45 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#182 thundernuts

thundernuts

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:46 PM

Wow. A lot of hate on this thread. Give the kid a break.

As unlikely as it is under the MG regime, I do seem to remember our greatest captain of all time "giving" the "C" to Messier when he came here.

I don't believe the same thing will happen here any time soon, and I am as against it now as I was then, but there is precedent.
Posted Image

#183 Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:59 PM

There will never be another Canuck captain like Trevor Linden. Smyl came close but that's it. Even Trevor Linden saw the positives about handing the captaincy over to Messier. Sedin should do the same.

This is all about winning the CUP, not a put down to Sedin. It is about creating a fresh drive to win the CUP this year. If MG can sign Doan then Gillis can possibly attract Weber into the fold THIS year by trade. The Preds have to trade Weber to get anything before he walks as a UFA. This has to be the game plan and Hank should be clued in.

You lost any potential for a sound theory when you used "Messier" as an example of positive Canuck leadership (but a very good example of individual saviour expectations equal individual career nosedive). Trevor Linden giving up the captaincy was a giant blunder for the franchise, wherein the only shimmer of sweet-and-sour positivity came from his being traded to the Islanders in a deal that saw Bertuzzi enter the scene, which of course lead to the West Coast Express era and marginal success after Messier's return to the Rangers two years later. I'm just glad we got Linden back in time for him to retire a Canuck.

You're right, though. There will most likely not be another Canuck captain like Trevor Linden. There could, however, be a better one should Henrik's tenure endure long enough to see him hoist the Cup in a Canucks uniform. Nostalgia will always portrait Trevor Linden in a better light, but that elusive Stanley Cup would go a long, long way to having Henrik Sedin be right there alongside him as a great captain of the Vancouver Canucks and one of the most celebrated players of the franchise's history. Never say never so long as there's a future to look to.

Either way, if the team needs a new captain to create a "fresh drive" for the Cup, then there's far more wrong with this organization than anyone thought possible. I honestly don't think its needed at all. Its a letter on a jersey and a technicality to instil a hierarchy on the ice for the officials to converse with. Again, players lead and follow on their own. Wayne Gretzky could come out of retirement and sign with the Canucks, but I that wouldn't mean I'd immediately want him to have the "C".
Posted Image
[Why 2.0? Because after 9 years, I lost my password and email... huzzah]

#184 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:17 PM

Man, what a retarded response to a perfectly good question that the OP made! This retarded response is the perfect example of why the minus button should NEVER be brought back! The vast majority of members here are group think morons, virtual bully morons, and if any of you 69 people were to take an IQ test, I gaurentee that ALL of you who plussed this guy would fall well below the average!

Doan if he signs here for say 4 years should be considered for captaincy, next year, not this.

I think all the name calling makes you look very smart.
After a few days here, I am surprised half of you got the anti-bot question correct to register for this site.

#185 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:19 PM

Do you really think Shane Doan would even accept the C from Henrik Sedin if he offered it ? Not a chance. Not unless Henrik had an honest reason why he couldn't be captain anymore.

Trevor Linden had no real reason he couldn't be captain anymore so Messier should have said thanks but no thanks its your team.
He was an egomaniac so he took it.
Posted Image

#186 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:20 PM

You've lost me a little. My hatred of Messier aside, how are we comparing a guy who hasn't led a team anywhere in his career to Mark? And given the colossal failure we experienced, why exactly would we want to consider it?
After a few days here, I am surprised half of you got the anti-bot question correct to register for this site.

#187 Fakename70

Fakename70

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:45 PM

As long as Hank is centering the top line, he'll wear that "C" regardless who MG acquires. That said, this team desperately needs a true leader like Doan. Hank's a nice guy, but, unfortunately, he's just as nice ON the ice as he is off it. That's not the kind of player I want to see leading my favourite NHL club. ESPECIALLY in the playoffs. There's a reason there's a perception that the Canucks are too soft/nice/polite. That starts with the captain, as far as I'm concerned, if he is indeed supposed to be "leading" the team by example. I think too many Canuck fans are too comfortable with the idea of a "nice" captain of a "nice" team and worry too much about what other people in other markets think.

If Doan isn't the answer, then I hope MG can pull a rabbit out of his hat and acquire/sign SOMEONE to fill the leadership void and drop some dead weight and salary from this team. Get some players in here who truly "want it". I hate having to guess if certain players from the current roster are willing to go the extra mile --- whatever that may entail --- to hoist a Stanley Cup. There's no guesswork with #19.

#188 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:49 PM

Markus Naslund offered the C back to Trevor Linden when he was traded back to Vancouver.

Trevor declined. He said........"this is your team now"

There is no way someone as classy as Doan even thinks of accepting something like that even if Henrik offered it.
Posted Image

#189 19eightyfour

19eightyfour

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:25 PM

That's a big "if" but if we do get him, I would say yes. Sedin's play-off record is unacceptable for a captain and noone else on the team currently screams CAPTAIN plus I believe you need that Canadian spirit at the helm.

Does anyone have stats on Doan's play-off performances? Does he step it up?

Sedins are running out of time too, just like Luongo did. Regular season stats can go make-love to themselves.

It's not dumb just because you disagree with it and it hurts your delicate sensibilities. It's actually a good question and will need to be answered if we land Doan.

The problem with this infantile fan base is that they are ruled by their emotions and not rational thought. Whatever happens on the team will be treated professionally and in the best interest of the team, without care to what silly-minded fans are crying about.

Funny and sad all at once.

is this mark messier?

...you're a tool.

#190 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,646 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:21 AM

You lost any potential for a sound theory when you used "Messier" as an example of positive Canuck leadership (but a very good example of individual saviour expectations equal individual career nosedive). Trevor Linden giving up the captaincy was a giant blunder for the franchise, wherein the only shimmer of sweet-and-sour positivity came from his being traded to the Islanders in a deal that saw Bertuzzi enter the scene, which of course lead to the West Coast Express era and marginal success after Messier's return to the Rangers two years later. I'm just glad we got Linden back in time for him to retire a Canuck.

You're right, though. There will most likely not be another Canuck captain like Trevor Linden. There could, however, be a better one should Henrik's tenure endure long enough to see him hoist the Cup in a Canucks uniform. Nostalgia will always portrait Trevor Linden in a better light, but that elusive Stanley Cup would go a long, long way to having Henrik Sedin be right there alongside him as a great captain of the Vancouver Canucks and one of the most celebrated players of the franchise's history. Never say never so long as there's a future to look to.

Either way, if the team needs a new captain to create a "fresh drive" for the Cup, then there's far more wrong with this organization than anyone thought possible. I honestly don't think its needed at all. Its a letter on a jersey and a technicality to instil a hierarchy on the ice for the officials to converse with. Again, players lead and follow on their own. Wayne Gretzky could come out of retirement and sign with the Canucks, but I that wouldn't mean I'd immediately want him to have the "C".

I don't think I said the Messier experience was positive. My point was the move was designed to change the existing persona the Canucks had and reformat in the direction of a player who had experienced great playoff success. As it turned out it didn't work.

An argument can be made about how long a team can pursue a goal (CUP) before having to re-evaluate and change tact. By acquiring Doan, Gillis would be indirectly admitting that the existing core has shortcomings that had to be addressed. I am not suggesting that Hank is the sole player responsible for those perceived shortcomings. Championship teams are an amalgam of abilities and personalities. The GM and Coaches have to take those resources and make hard decisions on how to use them to acheive the CUP.

IMHO that process is being undertaken by the trade of Lou with the assets that will bring back. The other would be the signing of a true leader like Doan who might help this franchise win a CUP. A leader who leaves nothing on the bench and clearly gives his teammates someone to follow. I have seen that same ability in Kesler, Burrows and at times Bieksa in playoffs. Kesler's performance in the Preds series two years ago was incredible. I am not trying to put down the Twins but I see their role on this club as complimentary. Their puck possession game can be intimidating to opposition teams. Opposing teams have to counter that talent by physical play against them and unfortunately it has worked in the past.

An example might be having Kopitar as the LA captain rather than Dustin Brown.

#191 geezer2

geezer2

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:49 AM

you don't change captains like an old pair of underwear . Hank is a great leader and history will show this. Doan could add a new element but making him captain would tell the rest of the group that the management does not value the core players that have got them to this very good place, that there is no interest in growing their own leaders , that there is no sense of history or stability. do not mistake Hanks quiet style as a lack of intensity or passion.The people in the room see how hard he works how little he complains how tough he is with all the sh!t he takes, what he has accomplished ( Art Ross +further in the playoffs than Doan has ever been) there is respect there for Hank and a lot of people would be pissed with the perceived shoving him aside for the admittedly good but fading new flavour of the day(Doan) In the end it is about team dynamics and as someone who was here when Linden was abused by Messier and Keenan I know that the team lost a lot of their chemistry when Linden was pressured into giving up the captaincy

#192 .Naslund

.Naslund

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:43 AM

Why is this thread still going on?
Posted Image

#193 Fakename70

Fakename70

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:54 AM

Where has Shane Doan ever led a team?

WHAT? Do you REALLY see the Canucks following their "leader" by example like you do in PHX with theirs? Hank's a nice guy, but, clearly no "leader". Not like Doan. Being a fan favourite shouldn't automatically qualify a player for "leader" status. Or captain, for that matter.

#194 Trade Deadline

Trade Deadline

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,473 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:55 PM

5 star thread, would read again.

Posted Image

#195 luongo_01

luongo_01

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:50 PM

C: Hank
A: Dank, Juice, Kes, Manny/Doan
Posted Image

#196 nucklehead2

nucklehead2

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 05:45 PM

Henrik is a great player its just he doesn't have the 'it' factor to be a Captain. By giving the Captaincy to Shane Doan it might benefit the team because it would put less pressure on Henrik. This means he could focus on scoring. Everyone knows Henrik isn't the most vocal leader. Shane Doan is Canadian and I kind of compare him to Trevor Linden. A player who was born to lead a team.

If we get Doan I want him to become our new Captain. And its not like the organization hasn't changed captains before i.e Luongo

lol

Edited by nucklehead2, 28 July 2012 - 05:50 PM.

#197 thema

thema

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 830 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 07:16 PM

If we get Doan I want him to become our new Captain. And its not like the organization hasn't changed captains before i.e Luongo

You say that like the Luongo captaincy was a great success.

#198 ilovekevinbieksa

ilovekevinbieksa

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 03:47 PM

are you kidding. :picard: :picard: :picard: :picard: :picard: :picard: :picard: :picard:
what if he just somehow became a sean avery... just saying. anything can happen.

:picard:
Posted Image (One duplicate gif removed by mod to meet size limitations)

#199 pwnstar

pwnstar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,308 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 04:27 PM

doan can get a A if he plays all the pre season games,

if not

oh well

Posted Image

#200 ilduce39

ilduce39

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,803 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:00 PM

when messier joined the canucks he had enough rings to fill up a hand and still have one on his dong... i still don' t think it was right to give him the "c" but he's a first-ballot HOF'er . . . I like Doan and hope he signs here but he is not in the same league as Messier.
T-Bone said:
remind them all of Tbone, remeber me for how I lived, not how I was banned
*sig too big

#201 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,027 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:41 PM

:sick:

2qn360i.jpg

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#202 NFIZZLE

NFIZZLE

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:45 PM

#203 kassian's lost tooth

kassian's lost tooth

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:02 PM

Of course not! Last time we parachuted a captain in was a disaster. M-E-S-S-I-E-R. Any captain has to earn that honor with his current team. 'Nuff said.

#204 winacup

winacup

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:48 PM

putting doan on this team would be like putting lipstick on a pig
Posted Image

#205 mysticriver

mysticriver

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:56 PM

putting doan on this team would be like putting lipstick on a pig

What exactly does that mean?

Posted Image

Sig/Avatar by ExpectoPatronum

#206 winacup

winacup

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:18 PM

What exactly does that mean?

this

Posted Image
Posted Image

#207 mysticriver

mysticriver

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:52 PM

I meant the figurative meaning, but THANKS.

Posted Image

Sig/Avatar by ExpectoPatronum

#208 The Architect

The Architect

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:17 PM

Sig too big.

THANK YOU P R O L I F I C for the incredible signature!

#209 Scoobydooby

Scoobydooby

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,388 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:06 AM

lol.

and the op says to himself, "troll attempt: great success!"

if you really think this should happen.. just wow.

Posted Image

#210 Pears

Pears

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,841 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:21 AM

Henrik - C
Daniel - A
Kesler - A
Bieksa - A
Doan - A

Is it even legal to have 5 assistants?
Posted Image

Credit to (>'-')> for the amazing sig!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.