The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Summer of Gillis

eretz canucks

A while ago I had a thread with the same title saying that this summer we would have a great opportunity to load up our team with talent for now and for the future. I made a checklist of To Dos for Gillis. If he accomplished them we would surely become a feared contender once again

The point of this is to see how he has done so far and analyze what continues to go wrong with this organization

To Do

1.sign Cory- check. The fact that this happened before the deadline is huge and speaks volumes about the two way trust existing between ginger and the Canucks. Also a testament to Schneids character that he didn't put our nuts in a vice and wait for a six mill offer sheet

2. Trade Luongo- obviously the jury is out, but I have a sinking feeling we are going to get ripped off like we did in the Hodgson trade

3. Sign Schultz

Epic fail here, he was ours to lose, and we lost him. Gillis messed this up bad, worse than letting Erhoff go (who we noticeable missed last yr)

He told Schultz he was not going to guarantee him anything- a noble strategy but very very very stupid, obviously this kid wants to jump right in and be given a chance to show what he can do. Hd doesn't want to go to the AHL for an ice age like all our other prospects

Gillis failed here, big time, a bc kid who loved the canucks, what a mess

4. Resign the core

Resign Raymond and let Salo go?

Wow, just wow, would rather have given Salo 2 yrs then resign Raymond WTF gillis, let's be honest here, who is more useful?

Fail

6. UFAs

Garrison - gillis went boom or bust here, nuts in a vice after yzerman overpaid like he did with ohlund

Doan would be nice- ANYONE else feel like he is ours to lose and Gillis will find a way to do it?

Not a saviour but would help our team immensely

Why are the Canucks such a travesty? They struggle to make logical moves from Burke to Nonis to Gillis- not much progress

Wouldn't it be nice up be able to offer Coho in a deal right now???To bad we played that chip already and instead of getting a sure thing back, Gillis takes a big risk

Use to think Gillis was a genius, this summer Gillis looks to have gone, how shall we put it Kirk Lazirus?

"Full Retard"

Sports media on a few prominent stations repeated the Schultz 'ours to lose' mantra for a week,citing family and personal quotes.

If the professional media is continuously stating it as such,how would the general fan not listen and absorb some of the mantra?

The other guys are right about the Hodgson deal, its way to early to judge that trade. Kassian is going to offer us way more than points. He can change the tide of a game with a hit or fight. Soon he will find out how gifted his hands are and contribute some points. I honestly don't think we lost that trade but it did hurt us for immediate help in last years playoffs.

Salo or Garrison, uhhh i would take the younger guy who is not so brittle and lock him up.

Shane Doan will have a hard decision to make, especially with the Stanley cup Champions and Pittsburg Penguins offering him a deal. Hopefully his wife can talk him into coming back home for a few years.

We have a team for the long haul and this team is not a hole. Some of the fans are pretty disappointing with there harsh judgements. The team can still keep moving forward even after next year.

I honestly believe that Gillis is clearing up cap room for Shea Weber and hopefully a certain RW from Anahiem.

We are gonna get our cup Canuck fans and it will be even more special when all the pieces fall together. Patience everyone and it will come.

Lets start with getting a prospect from Florida, Toronto or even Tampa for Lou and and sign Doan. Looks like Lecavelier might be the best offer out there. Can we do that??? IDK. That would screw up Weber and Perry plans for sure.

Often, the talking heads on the various sports programs, well not just often, ALWAYS, they need to sell advertising, for that to happen, they need an audience, for that to happen they need things to talk about we want to hear, and finally for that to happen, they need to tap into the markets ideosyncracies and exploit the various fan feifdoms social media buzz in order to not create a hype but to add to it, and ride it to market like a rented mule.

"Trending in Vancouver: Schultz is from nearby, and he is good, lets get him, oh wow he is a UFA by use of a little trick..oh boy oh boy- i bet he wants to play here" - fanbase

"Schultz has used a legal manuevre to get out of his contract with team x to what would appear to be a move to team Y, his family and friends are near market Y and that just seems likely" - Talking Sports Channel Head to Market Y

see how it works?

A simple google search on the subject provided hundreds of links to 'the Canucks as Schultz's choice' or 'Schultz quoted as wanting to play for Canucks'.

It was repeated so often in the week leading up to his decision that it seemed 'ours to lose' fit as the appropriate mantra-and it was.

Did not make it true,but there could have been enough truth in it to have Gretzky and Coffey show up at his hotel room for a beer.

TSN's Bob McKenzie has reported that some NHL GMs think the Canucks may be the front-runners.

But with "Justin Schultz decision day" nearing - the notion that the Canucks are a front-runner for Schultz's services is beginning to crop up more and more from respected reporters, insiders and even other NHL teams - and not just among the most optimistic Canucks fans.

While I feel that Gillis jumped the gun on trading Hodgson at the trade deadline instead of at the draft, all the other points are just plain moronic.

With Salo you don't know what you're going to get year after year with his history of injuries. Someone took a gamble an offered him more. It sucks, because I really like Salo, but as much as I like him I wouldn't offer more than a 1 year term. So how's that Gillis' fault?

He'd probably be crucified if he offered him money and term like that.

Schultz wanted minutes. Well we traded away Cody for the same reason. The Canucks are making a statement. You EARN your icetime. (Unless you're Rome or a defensive plug that AV has his latest man-crush on.)

You're complaining about Schultz who as others have pointed out has ZERO pro experience and rip Gillis for signing Garrison?

Raymond. Well you need to be under contract in order to be traded. 'Nuff said.

We're a long way from training camp. Doan may want to play here, he may not. If you haven't figured out, UFA's make the choice, the GM's only offer the best they can. Go cry me a river because we didn't sign high priced UFA's . I'm waiting to see if some of our prospects can make the jump. You know, the way good teams build, draft and develop their players to fill holes?

A while ago I had a thread with the same title saying that this summer we would have a great opportunity to load up our team with talent for now and for the future. I made a checklist of To Dos for Gillis. If he accomplished them we would surely become a feared contender once again

The point of this is to see how he has done so far and analyze what continues to go wrong with this organization

To Do

1.sign Cory- check. The fact that this happened before the deadline is huge and speaks volumes about the two way trust existing between ginger and the Canucks. Also a testament to Schneids character that he didn't put our nuts in a vice and wait for a six mill offer sheet

2. Trade Luongo- obviously the jury is out, but I have a sinking feeling we are going to get ripped off like we did in the Hodgson trade

3. Sign Schultz

Epic fail here, he was ours to lose, and we lost him. Gillis messed this up bad, worse than letting Erhoff go (who we noticeable missed last yr)

He told Schultz he was not going to guarantee him anything- a noble strategy but very very very stupid, obviously this kid wants to jump right in and be given a chance to show what he can do. Hd doesn't want to go to the AHL for an ice age like all our other prospects

Gillis failed here, big time, a bc kid who loved the canucks, what a mess

4. Resign the core

Wow, just wow, would rather have given Salo 2 yrs then resign Raymond WTF gillis, let's be honest here, who is more useful?

Fail

6. UFAs

Garrison - gillis went boom or bust here, nuts in a vice after yzerman overpaid like he did with ohlund

Doan would be nice- ANYONE else feel like he is ours to lose and Gillis will find a way to do it?

Not a saviour but would help our team immensely

Why are the Canucks such a travesty? They struggle to make logical moves from Burke to Nonis to Gillis- not much progress

Wouldn't it be nice up be able to offer Coho in a deal right now???To bad we played that chip already and instead of getting a sure thing back, Gillis takes a big risk

Use to think Gillis was a genius, this summer Gillis looks to have gone, how shall we put it Kirk Lazirus?

"Full Retard"

I believe this offseason was a complete failure. If GMMG was committed to winning, I think he should have made a push for Aquilini to move this franchise to Minnesota, in order to entice Suter and Parise into joining this organization. Mike Gillis just doesn't make enough bold moves.

A simple google search on the subject provided hundreds of links to 'the Canucks as Schultz's choice' or 'Schultz quoted as wanting to play for Canucks'.

It was repeated so often in the week leading up to his decision that it seemed 'ours to lose' fit as the appropriate mantra-and it was.

Did not make it true,but there could have been enough truth in it to have Gretzky and Coffey show up at his hotel room for a beer.

TSN's Bob McKenzie has reported that some NHL GMs think the Canucks may be the front-runners.

But with "Justin Schultz decision day" nearing - the notion that the Canucks are a front-runner for Schultz's services is beginning to crop up more and more from respected reporters, insiders and even other NHL teams - and not just among the most optimistic Canucks fans.

It is sooo early we havnt even traded Luongo yet (if that happens) so we have yet to see what type of package goes out/comes back,

Also Gillis is known to make substantial moves around pre-season or arpund the start of the season after he has gotten a feel for the team.

ie: trades for Ehrhoff, Booth

If he feels we need something Im sure he will do something. We still don't know fully what we have in Nicklas Jensen and Jordan Schroeder!!

Schneider signing - good.

Luongo trade - expected; hopefully will get us a good prospect and some picks.

Schultz - uh.... how do you pin Schultz's personal decision on MG? Face it, Oilers were more desperate than any other team to land Schultz (if it wasn't already clear by having Gretzky call a kid who's never played a single game in the NHL) because they have a huge opening for the number one guy on D. It was a better fit for the player and for for the Oilers. Yes, it would have been awesome for Schultz to come to the Canucks and fight for his minutes, but there's a reason why he didn't sign with the team that drafted him.

UFA - Garrison; I guess you could say we overpaid, but he's had one of the best underlying numbers for a defensive defenseman in the league last two years. Considering the amount of money that was thrown at mediocre defensemen this offseason, this actually represents great value. Only thing would be the length of the contract - 6 years seem a lot, but we'll see.

Sign the core - Letting Salo go made sense only because we can't afford to give him 2 year contract at 3.75M he's getting. That's just ludicrous given his age and injury history. He was used as a third pair at the end of the season/playoffs. Basically we replaced Rome and Salo with Garrison with less money. We signed Raymond for one year at reduced pay. That's a solid gamble. He's one of the fastest skaters (an argument that people always use for Ballard), great forechecker, great penalty killer; he just doesn't shoot well (but his 8% shooting percentage has no where but to go up), and doesn't go to the net. Let's hope he'll have a good contract year. If not, it's not the end of the world.

Hodgson trade - seriously, are we still talking about Hodgson trade. Kassian will develop into a great player; has all the tools. Seems like a great trade for a guy who didn't want to be here crying about minutes.

1.sign Cory- check. The fact that this happened before the deadline is huge and speaks volumes about the two way trust existing between ginger and the Canucks. Also a testament to Schneids character that he didn't put our nuts in a vice and wait for a six mill offer sheet. AGREED.

2. Trade Luongo- obviously the jury is out, but I have a sinking feeling we are going to get ripped off like we did in the Hodgson trade. Like a few others have said... it's too early to tell if we lost this trade. I, like all of us, do not know the whole story about the conflict between Hodgson and the team, but it never seemed like Hodgson was very excited to be a Canuck from the day he got drafted. He seems to lack character, despite all his talent. I think his slumps early on with Buffalo just might foreshadow the fact that he won't ever be more than a 40-50 point scorer. I expect those kinds of numbers regularly from Kassian starting in a couple years.

3. Sign Schultz

Gillis failed here, big time, a bc kid who loved the canucks, what a mess.

The kid wanted immediate playing time and knew he wasn't going to get it on a team as successful as Vancouver. I don't see anything wrong with a GM (Gillis) being honest with a prospective player. Edmonton is clearly a better fit for Schultz's needs.

4. Resign the core

Fail.

Unlike most on this forum, I actually disagree here. Raymond is our most exciting player on the rush (even though I get tired of seeing him fall to the ice). I am confident that he will have a bounce-back season and for a little more than $ 2 million in today's market, it actually isn't too bad. Salo was on his way out and misses 1/4 a season, almost every year. Also, he seemed to be a step behind, particularly in the play-offs vs. L.A. It was time time to move on for the price he would've demanded. His reliability will be missed, however, and some of the younger guys are going to have to step it up.

6. UFAs

I like to think Garrison will be as effective as Salo, although I rarely got to see Florida play this year so that might be wishful thinking. He's a B.C. boy who played big minutes against top-line players in the East last year. I think there is reason to be stoked about this signing.

Not a saviour but would help our team immensely. Doan's leadership, scoring and grit could certainly help, but at what cost?!

Why are the Canucks such a travesty? They struggle to make logical moves from Burke to Nonis to Gillis- not much progress. Two Presidents trophies. What a travesty!? Having cheered for the Canucks since 1985... I understand travesty... and Gillis's performance, sir, is not it!

It's early July, man... relax. I suggest cheering for Glen Sather and the Rangers if you want to see tens of millions spent July 1st almost every year.

Archived