The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Summer of Gillis

eretz canucks

If you are gonna post a one liber that this is a stupid thread, just hold off, I appreciate all the counter points and am interested in what CDC has to say. Let's keep the insults to a minimum, it just reflects poorly on yourselves

BTW why do you keep saying the "jury is still out" but say we get ripped off after trading a player who didn't want to be here (Hodgson) for a developing player in Kassian. If you're saying we were ripped off because Kassian didn't develop like the seasons change then give your head a shake. Gillis moved Hodgson for a player he believes has huge potential. That's a much better deal then trading him for a quick fix which may or may not win you a cup.

A while ago I had a thread with the same title saying that this summer we would have a great opportunity to load up our team with talent for now and for the future. I made a checklist of To Dos for Gillis. If he accomplished them we would surely become a feared contender once again

The point of this is to see how he has done so far and analyze what continues to go wrong with this organization

To Do

1.sign Cory- check. The fact that this happened before the deadline is huge and speaks volumes about the two way trust existing between ginger and the Canucks. Also a testament to Schneids character that he didn't put our nuts in a vice and wait for a six mill offer sheet

2. Trade Luongo- obviously the jury is out, but I have a sinking feeling we are going to get ripped off like we did in the Hodgson trade

3. Sign Schultz

Epic fail here, he was ours to lose, and we lost him. Gillis messed this up bad, worse than letting Erhoff go (who we noticeable missed last yr)

He told Schultz he was not going to guarantee him anything- a noble strategy but very very very stupid, obviously this kid wants to jump right in and be given a chance to show what he can do. Hd doesn't want to go to the AHL for an ice age like all our other prospects

Gillis failed here, big time, a bc kid who loved the canucks, what a mess

4. Resign the core

Resign Raymond and let Salo go?

Wow, just wow, would rather have given Salo 2 yrs then resign Raymond WTF gillis, let's be honest here, who is more useful?

Fail

6. UFAs

Garrison - gillis went boom or bust here, nuts in a vice after yzerman overpaid like he did with ohlund

Doan would be nice- ANYONE else feel like he is ours to lose and Gillis will find a way to do it?

Not a saviour but would help our team immensely

Why are the Canucks such a travesty? They struggle to make logical moves from Burke to Nonis to Gillis- not much progress

Wouldn't it be nice up be able to offer Coho in a deal right now???To bad we played that chip already and instead of getting a sure thing back, Gillis takes a big risk

Use to think Gillis was a genius, this summer Gillis looks to have gone, how shall we put it Kirk Lazirus?

"Full Retard"

Not saying this summer was a failure but when Gillis was brought in as GM he said, "This team is not close." 4 years later and its still Nonis' guys. I understand he signed Hamhuis but lets be honest Hammer is a BC boy and wanted the Canucks. Overall I havent been overly impressed with Gillis. I actually think he's a smart guy and a decent GM but there are some glaring weaknesses on this team and its his job to fill them while the window is still open with

this group.

A while ago I had a thread with the same title saying that this summer we would have a great opportunity to load up our team with talent for now and for the future. I made a checklist of To Dos for Gillis. If he accomplished them we would surely become a feared contender once again

The point of this is to see how he has done so far and analyze what continues to go wrong with this organization

To Do

1.sign Cory- check. The fact that this happened before the deadline is huge and speaks volumes about the two way trust existing between ginger and the Canucks. Also a testament to Schneids character that he didn't put our nuts in a vice and wait for a six mill offer sheet

2. Trade Luongo- obviously the jury is out, but I have a sinking feeling we are going to get ripped off like we did in the Hodgson trade

3. Sign Schultz

Epic fail here, he was ours to lose, and we lost him. Gillis messed this up bad, worse than letting Erhoff go (who we noticeable missed last yr)

He told Schultz he was not going to guarantee him anything- a noble strategy but very very very stupid, obviously this kid wants to jump right in and be given a chance to show what he can do. Hd doesn't want to go to the AHL for an ice age like all our other prospects

Gillis failed here, big time, a bc kid who loved the canucks, what a mess

4. Resign the core

Resign Raymond and let Salo go?

Wow, just wow, would rather have given Salo 2 yrs then resign Raymond WTF gillis, let's be honest here, who is more useful?

Fail

6. UFAs

Garrison - gillis went boom or bust here, nuts in a vice after yzerman overpaid like he did with ohlund

Doan would be nice- ANYONE else feel like he is ours to lose and Gillis will find a way to do it?

Not a saviour but would help our team immensely

Why are the Canucks such a travesty? They struggle to make logical moves from Burke to Nonis to Gillis- not much progress

Wouldn't it be nice up be able to offer Coho in a deal right now???To bad we played that chip already and instead of getting a sure thing back, Gillis takes a big risk

Use to think Gillis was a genius, this summer Gillis looks to have gone, how shall we put it Kirk Lazirus?

"Full Retard"

We are not privy to what Sami wanted or did not want or what was offered and declined and why.

Garrison was not yet signed so I have no idea what you are referring to.

Sundin is relevant to everything Gillis is.He was out of shape and held out,wanting to play in New York.

His beneficial impact is a myth and you are perpetuating that myth- for whatever reasons you alone know.

The guy played half a year,came in so out of shape that AV would not play him.The rags in town were all over his fat rear end and for all the obvious fat rear end reasons.

To state that the Sedins and Kesler became the stars they were today was in any way influenced by Sundin's glorious twenty games that he was actually in shape to play is ,well,hilarious.

BY JASON BOTCHFORD

SPORTS REPORTER

The curse of Mats Sundin grows more legendary by the day.

His signing brought so much hope to the Canucks . But what always follows Vancouver’s hopes? The word dashed.

Instead of reaping the benefits of a player with a hall-of-fame billing, the Canucks have been visited by the Grim Reaper.

Instead of a large scythe, Sundin carries a Swedish accent, broken wheels and an attraction to penalty boxes.

Wed., Jan 31,2009

Alain Vigneault sat Mats Sundin on the bench on the 6 on 4 for the Canucks near the end of the game. He stated post game that Sundin has to be better, and he is right. Sundin showed a few flashes tonight but was outplayed by nearly everybody. Eventually he is going to be better. Eventually.

http://hockey-madnes...01_archive.html

May 14,2009

Sundin totalled nine goals and 19 assists after being given five million dollars to play half a season. He wasn’t in great shape when he arrived in Vancouver after sitting out so long, he’s not a young man, and during the all-star break, instead of working out, he went to Whistler to have fun. In the playoffs, he had three goals and five assists. His team, the Canucks, are gone, and once again their fans are disappointed. Did Sundin help the cause? Not one bit. And like I said, he walks away with five million bucks for all this.

http://dennis-kane.c...ust-his-wallet/

How can you begin to understand the role of a GM. Just like teams on paper look good there is so many things that factor in when the puck drops. Just like making proposals on paper is easy to do, but in real life there are many factors making it very difficult: 30 gms with different personalities to deal with, player agents, players themselves, salary cap, other teams needs in competition with your teams needs, the appeal of the city to the player wanted, the player's family wants, the owner of the team, and more I am sure ...

The point being just because you, as a average fan, thinks its easy to get the players you want ; re signed, signed off of the free agent market, trade for players you want, and so on... it just does not work like that in the real world.

It is beyond most peoples' understanding of how hard it is to get good deals done in the NHL and myself being one of those people, but I know is not as easy as writing it down on paper and saying get it done because I want.

How can you begin to understand the role of a GM. Just like teams on paper look good there is so many things that factor in when the puck drops. Just like making proposals on paper is easy to do, but in real life there are many factors making it very difficult: 30 gms with different personalities to deal with, player agents, players themselves, salary cap, other teams needs in competition with your teams needs, the appeal of the city to the player wanted, the player's family wants, the owner of the team, and more I am sure ...

The point being just because you, as a average fan, thinks its easy to get the players you want ; re signed, signed off of the free agent market, trade for players you want, and so on... it just does not work like that in the real world.

It is beyond most peoples' understanding of how hard it is to get good deals done in the NHL and myself being one of those people, but I know is not as easy as writing it down on paper and saying get it done because I want.

Hey all,

If u read my post, I'm not saying it's easy, I'm not saying I could do a better job, all I am saying is he has delivered on some things, the jury is out on other things and I think he failed when it came to Schultz, not his fault, but ultimately the GM takes heat for things like this.

I personally felt Salo for the next 2 yrs is more valuable than Raymond for 1-2 years considering age and injuries. It is very possible that Salo would have taken 2-3mill x 2 yrs to stay in Van. I know he signed in TB for more but Gillis referenced that term was the issue, not $$

I hope I am the only one who has a sinking feeling about the Luongo trade, I really do.

As far as Vancouver being a UFA signing hotspot, it is not!

NHL players poll said it might be in 2010, but we signed

Hamhuis

Malhotra

Samuellson

And... Hammer is from here

I think we are an average place to sign, although I wish everyone wanted to sign here

I think if we sign weber and doan then Vancouver will have a reputation for signing real good UFAs until then we signed Sundin and not much since... He probably signed here out of the way of a massive NHL market (NYR) bc he knew we was done, out of shape etc and preferred a Swedish friendly market

Archived