The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Summer of Gillis

eretz canucks

Every team plays for their minutes. And furthermore when is the last time a key Canuck lost ice time because of poor play or bad mistakes? I think the argument that Canucks play for their minutes is way over used.

And Schultz has said publically he has no interest in being guaranteed time. He wants to earn his ice time like everyone else.

A while ago I had a thread with the same title saying that this summer we would have a great opportunity to load up our team with talent for now and for the future. I made a checklist of To Dos for Gillis. If he accomplished them we would surely become a feared contender once again

The point of this is to see how he has done so far and analyze what continues to go wrong with this organization

To Do

1.sign Cory- check. The fact that this happened before the deadline is huge and speaks volumes about the two way trust existing between ginger and the Canucks. Also a testament to Schneids character that he didn't put our nuts in a vice and wait for a six mill offer sheet

2. Trade Luongo- obviously the jury is out, but I have a sinking feeling we are going to get ripped off like we did in the Hodgson trade

3. Sign Schultz

Epic fail here, he was ours to lose, and we lost him. Gillis messed this up bad, worse than letting Erhoff go (who we noticeable missed last yr)

He told Schultz he was not going to guarantee him anything- a noble strategy but very very very stupid, obviously this kid wants to jump right in and be given a chance to show what he can do. Hd doesn't want to go to the AHL for an ice age like all our other prospects

Gillis failed here, big time, a bc kid who loved the canucks, what a mess

4. Resign the core

Resign Raymond and let Salo go?

Wow, just wow, would rather have given Salo 2 yrs then resign Raymond WTF gillis, let's be honest here, who is more useful?

Fail

6. UFAs

Garrison - gillis went boom or bust here, nuts in a vice after yzerman overpaid like he did with ohlund

Doan would be nice- ANYONE else feel like he is ours to lose and Gillis will find a way to do it?

Not a saviour but would help our team immensely

Why are the Canucks such a travesty? They struggle to make logical moves from Burke to Nonis to Gillis- not much progress

Wouldn't it be nice up be able to offer Coho in a deal right now???To bad we played that chip already and instead of getting a sure thing back, Gillis takes a big risk

Use to think Gillis was a genius, this summer Gillis looks to have gone, how shall we put it Kirk Lazirus?

"Full Retard"

So you used to think Gillis was a "Genius", but now you call him a "Full Retard". Their ai'nt no in-between with you, is there?

The 12 year for Luongo was ridiculous, when he would'nt give a 2 year deal for Salo, arguablly our 2nd best d-man, and lost him for nothing. I hope Gillis comes clean on why he gave Luongo that deal, because if he came into my office and demanded that, I would have told him straight to his face, you can pack your bags, and traded him to the Flyers or someone else.

Are you kidding me with the Schultz thing? Guy wants to golf in the snow!!! How the heck was Gillis supposed to compete with Edmonton?

And Doan is ours to lose? Based on what? I'd love to have Doan wearing blue and green, but are you his dentist, or kids' nanny to make such claim?

I think Gillis is doing absolutely the right thing in being patient about trading Luongo. Besides Luongo, which proven goalie is out there? and don't give me Johnathan Bernier, he's not even near the same class as Luongo. So believe me, teams who need No 1 goalie will panic once we reach September. We have options, they don't.

2. Trade Luongo- obviously the jury is out, but I have a sinking feeling we are going to get ripped off like we did in the Hodgson trade

Based on what exactly?

3. Sign Schultz

Epic fail here, he was ours to lose, and we lost him. Gillis messed this up bad, worse than letting Erhoff go (who we noticeable missed last yr)

He told Schultz he was not going to guarantee him anything- a noble strategy but very very very stupid, obviously this kid wants to jump right in and be given a chance to show what he can do. Hd doesn't want to go to the AHL for an ice age like all our other prospects

People make choices. Schultz made his, probably based on the fact that he is going to get a ton of minutes that Gillis would not and could not guarantee him. Gillis didn't give the kid the guarantee he wanted, so Schultz chose a different team. In no way is it a failure on Gills' part. And what mess? I see no mess.

Doan would be nice- ANYONE else feel like he is ours to lose and Gillis will find a way to do it?

No, nobody else feels that way. At least nobody with an IQ greater than their shoe size.

Why are the Canucks such a travesty? They struggle to make logical moves from Burke to Nonis to Gillis- not much progress

Oh, come on. You are bordering on idiocy.

Wouldn't it be nice up be able to offer Coho in a deal right now???To bad we played that chip already and instead of getting a sure thing back, Gillis takes a big risk

No, you've actually crossed the border.

My main complaint is the lack of a serious enforcer.

How many more concussions and cheap shots do i have to see go unanswered before i finally give up on this team that won't even fight for each other ? Management needs to put a couple monsters in the lineup or risk losing half their fan base.

one has to wonder if there are issues in the room when players sit back and watch the Twins get gooned 24/7.

A while ago I had a thread with the same title saying that this summer we would have a great opportunity to load up our team with talent for now and for the future. I made a checklist of To Dos for Gillis. If he accomplished them we would surely become a feared contender once again

The point of this is to see how he has done so far and analyze what continues to go wrong with this organization

To Do

1.sign Cory- check. The fact that this happened before the deadline is huge and speaks volumes about the two way trust existing between ginger and the Canucks. Also a testament to Schneids character that he didn't put our nuts in a vice and wait for a six mill offer sheet

3. Sign Schultz

4. Resign the core

Resign Raymond and let Salo go?

Wow, just wow, would rather have given Salo 2 yrs then resign Raymond WTF gillis, let's be honest here, who is more useful?

Fail

6. UFAs

Garrison - gillis went boom or bust here, nuts in a vice after yzerman overpaid like he did with ohlund

Not a saviour but would help our team immensely

Use to think Gillis was a genius, this summer Gillis looks to have gone, how shall we put it Kirk Lazirus?

"Full Retard"

Archived