Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

Kesler and our Power Play

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
42 replies to this topic

#1 ButterBean

ButterBean

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:29 PM

So 2 years ago we decided that we would try Kesler out on the first power play unit. He brings speed, good forecheck, and a good net presence to that top unit. It turned out really well and we've had a top 5 power play for the past 2 years as a result. But is it just me or is it a coincidence that Kesler has suffered two major injuries as a result of it? Constantly being hacked, slashed, and bumping shoulders every game wears on a guy after a full season. We could see better even strength numbers for Kesler if he's taken off. Not to mention a longer career. And we've seen our power play as a whole get shut down in the playoffs against elite defensive defenseman like Chara and Mitchell. Should we look at exploring some different options on that top unit or would you like to keep it the same?

What about Zack Kassian? He has awesome strength down low and even though he lacks the speed and overall skills that Kesler brings, he makes up for it with his size. With his strength he is not only capable of wreaking havoc in front of the net but he is less likely to get injured with his size and he won't be a waste if he play him on the 4th, give him top PP time, and rotate him in our top 9 occasionally.

Thoughts?

#2 Wolverinė

Wolverinė

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:34 PM

Kesler is great in front of the net but he'd be better utilized as a shooter on the 2nd unit, which had no identity, and was even more of a mess once Hodgson was traded. Really hope we sign Wellwood to control the puck on the 2nd unit and be the 3rd line center 5-on-5 :)

Burrows can screen, take punishment and has great hand-eye, so he can be the net presence for the Sedins on the first unit (not to mention the chemistry they already have).

EDIT: Kassian would be worth a try for the front of the net on the 2nd unit.

Edited by Wolverinė, 09 July 2012 - 08:35 PM.

Posted Image

#3 ButterBean

ButterBean

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:36 PM

Double post

Edited by ButterBean, 09 July 2012 - 09:34 PM.

#4 Walking Paradox

Walking Paradox

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:42 PM

I definitely wouldn't mind seeing Kassian tried out on our 1st unit. All we need is a play maker for the 2nd line wing and 2nd unit powerplay.

#5 vancouvercanucks#1

vancouvercanucks#1

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:42 PM

Doan :bigblush:

i am so sick of don cherry. get him the hell off ...hes way past his expiry date. I'm trying to watch hockey I don't want some senile blowhard talking about respecting baby jesus's birthday and not taking the lord's name in vain.

#6 Grape

Grape

Fruit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:55 PM

If we can have a backup plan for the drop pass than that'll be fine.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image  
Signature Credit to Vintage Canuck!

Don't Click!

#7 John.Tallhouse

John.Tallhouse

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:07 PM

I'd go Hansen over Kassian, he's strong on the puck and he makes smart plays + he has the skill and the speed to keep up with the sedins
Posted Image

#8 SwedishCrowns

SwedishCrowns

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:23 PM

H.Sedin, Kesler , D, Sedin
S.Weber - J.Garrison/K.Bieksa/Edler-Ballard-Tanev

Option 2:
D.Sedin, H Sedin, D. Alfredsson
S. Weber - J.Garrison/K.Bieksa/Edler-Ballard-Tanev

PP2:
Higgins, Hansen, Booth
Ballard - J.Garrison?

#9 needtogetswole

needtogetswole

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:28 PM

Option 2:

PP2:
Higgins, Hansen, Booth
Ballard - J.Garrison?

didn't know we signed shea weber... - not going to happen dude.

#10 Kumquats

Kumquats

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,432 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:43 PM

didn't know we signed shea weber... - not going to happen dude.

And Alfredsson too, when did that happen?

Did we trade Burrows? I don't see him on either PP.

Edited by DRCN SLYR, 09 July 2012 - 09:45 PM.

Posted Image

#11 micgao

micgao

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,595 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:46 PM

Option 2:

PP2:
Higgins, Hansen, Booth
Ballard - J.Garrison?

Already 0 chance Weber will come here but thinking ALFREDSSON will come is just... :picard:
Posted Image

#12 Kumquats

Kumquats

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,432 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:50 PM

Already 0 chance Weber will come here but thinking ALFREDSSON will come is just... :picard:

Source? :bigblush:
Posted Image

#13 micgao

micgao

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,595 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:56 PM

Source? :bigblush:

Mike and I go WAYYY back.
Posted Image

#14 Kumquats

Kumquats

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,432 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:02 PM

Mike and I go WAYYY back.

Happy hour?
Posted Image

#15 rluongo01

rluongo01

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:11 PM

I was thinking if we were to get Doan, we could use him in Kesler's position on PP1.

Sedin Sedin Doan
Edler Garrison

Doan has a pretty solid frame at 6'1 and 228 lbs. He's strong enough to play in front of the net and is able to hold his own down low and along the boards. This would free up Kesler and allow him to play C on the 2nd unit. It's no secret that our 2nd unit looks a lot more dangerous when we have a natural centre on it(Hodgson last season, Kesler 2 years ago).

Top 6
Sedin Sedin Burrows
Booth Kesler Doan

#16 Silfverberg Snipes

Silfverberg Snipes

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:12 PM

I'd go Hansen over Kassian, he's strong on the puck and he makes smart plays + he has the skill and the speed to keep up with the sedins

You're severely underrating Kassian's playingmaking abilities. Hansen's would be nowhere near as effective as Kassian.

Sig too big. 

#17 John.Tallhouse

John.Tallhouse

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:28 PM

You're severely underrating Kassian's playingmaking abilities. Hansen's would be nowhere near as effective as Kassian.

Thats a bold statement, I havent seen much from kassian that would make me want to put him on the PP, I like Kass but he needs to smarten up his game, I dont know how u cant see hansen being a difference on the PP
Posted Image

#18 Rounoush

Rounoush

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:32 AM

If we can have a backup plan for the drop pass than that'll be fine.

Hey, hey! You and I are avatar buddies. :P
Posted Image
Thanks a bunch to khalifawiz501 for the signature.

#19 Sugar baby watermelon

Sugar baby watermelon

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,464 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:26 AM

Didn't alot of Keslers goals come on the power play, from his tip-ins from shots from the point?? When healthy no one does it better than Kesler on deflections and I don't think he utilized that aspect of his game enough last year whether it was from his hidden injuries or a change on the pp from the coaches perspective. Load up the 1st power play unit, its intimidating for opponents to see that.

#20 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:51 AM

Thank you for this thread. Nice read.

I think the key for Ryan is to stop using him to kill penalties in normal situations. Guys like Raymond Booth and Hansen need to take this role.

I believe Kes and Burr can still kill penalties 5 on 3 and in the last minute with the game on the line . We need to start preserving these two during the game . Cut down Keslers pk time and get him down to about 18min per game.
Posted Image

#21 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,235 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:27 AM

I'd rank our forwards in terms of abilities in front of the net as follows (based on all of last season):

Hansen > Higgins > Burrows > Kesler > Bitz > Lapierre

Hansen is always PERFECTLY positioned at the top of the crease and is our best screener by far, but his hands aren't quite as good as say Higgins who is our best deflector by a long shot. His ability to tip pucks is easily the best on the team, but all of the top-4 here are hungry and dig for rebounds well.

However, for the powerplay I'd like to see this:

Sedin - Sedin - Hansen
Edler - Garrison

Higgins - Kesler - Booth
Ballard - Hamhuis

The first unit strives on shots from the point going straight through. Our best screener is planted in front of the net, the Sedins work it down low and drag forwards in with Edler as a playmaker, and Garrison bombs the goals in.

Our 2nd unit here aims for scoring off the rush or peeling off the half boards with shots from the slot, or (2nd priority) shots from Hamhuis to be deflected by Higgins. That's our team's best deflector and our team's best deflecting shot from Hamhuis who knows exactly how to slow down the shot to make it easily deflectable.
Posted Image

#22 TACIC

TACIC

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:01 AM

just get weber��

then you could put a whole army in the net and he will still score��

Edited by theres_a_can_in_canucks, 10 July 2012 - 07:03 AM.

Posted Image
Credit to JimLahey for this awesome sig

TACIC

Yes i am a Leafs fan too, DEAL WITH IT!!

#23 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:36 AM

I'd rank our forwards in terms of abilities in front of the net as follows (based on all of last season):

Hansen > Higgins > Burrows > Kesler > Bitz > Lapierre

Hansen is always PERFECTLY positioned at the top of the crease and is our best screener by far, but his hands aren't quite as good as say Higgins who is our best deflector by a long shot. His ability to tip pucks is easily the best on the team, but all of the top-4 here are hungry and dig for rebounds well.

However, for the powerplay I'd like to see this:

Sedin - Sedin - Hansen
Edler - Garrison

Higgins - Kesler - Booth
Ballard - Hamhuis

The first unit strives on shots from the point going straight through. Our best screener is planted in front of the net, the Sedins work it down low and drag forwards in with Edler as a playmaker, and Garrison bombs the goals in.

Our 2nd unit here aims for scoring off the rush or peeling off the half boards with shots from the slot, or (2nd priority) shots from Hamhuis to be deflected by Higgins. That's our team's best deflector and our team's best deflecting shot from Hamhuis who knows exactly how to slow down the shot to make it easily deflectable.

Are you ok with each unit getting 1 min each on the powerplay? Im not. I want the Sedins out there as much as possible. Egro Kesler will be on the same unit.
Posted Image

#24 tpurewal97

tpurewal97

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:43 AM

Sedins and burrows !

#25 kingleysniper

kingleysniper

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:46 AM

Maybe another big presence on the 1st unit would be better and Kesler could center the 2nd unit, that way both units would be effective (Ballard should also get a shot on the pp).

#26 tjkaemingh

tjkaemingh

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:48 AM

Burrows on the PP with the Sedins has been tried and thought of. AV must not like it, otherwise he would do it.

Kassian? Yes, give him a shot. At lest a month anyway, see how it works with the Sedins. His net presence would be good.

Kesler there just works. For some reason AV and staff decided to load up the first unit with the best skill and it has worked. The 2nd unit then looks crappy though unfortunately.

Doan would be sweat to add to the team. He could play first or second unit and would be a great addition.

Otherwise audition Burrows, Booth, Hansen, Higgins or whoever you want on the second unit to find some chemistry and success there.
And yes if Kassian (or Doan) could play with the Sedins on the fist PP, then Keser to the second PP for greater success on that unit.
Kesler needs a set up man though.

Get Doan, move Raymond. Our forwards are set for next year. Start with the 7 D we have. Tweak out Ballard or Alberts if need be half way through the season if they are not working out. Done. Bring on the playoffs April 2013!

Edited by tjkaemingh, 10 July 2012 - 07:57 AM.

#27 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:57 AM

I have tried to ask the simple question of what the practical consequence is of splitting up the Sedins and Kesler . Nobody seems to want to answer that.

Either they split the time 1 min each power play unit or Kesler gets screwed out of his PP time.

AV and Gillis are not prepared to play favorites in that regard. Each player earns their PP time. Sedins dont even kill penalties , they arent getting more PP time than Kesler.

Thus, stick Kesler on with the Sedins.

What is the point of making all these PP scenario's when there is no chance its going to happen?
Posted Image

#28 mpt

mpt

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:57 AM

Thats a bold statement, I havent seen much from kassian that would make me want to put him on the PP, I like Kass but he needs to smarten up his game, I dont know how u cant see hansen being a difference on the PP

He's not the only one; Hanson would be one of the last picks for the PP IMO.

On the PP Higgins, Raymond, Burrows, Kesler, Sedins, Booth, Kassian > Hanson.
Ebbett = Hanson for PP purposes.

#29 nd84

nd84

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:03 AM

If Doan comes here:

PP1
Sedin-Sedin-Doan
Edler-Garrison

PP2
Booth-Kesler-Burrows
Hamhuis-Bieksa
Posted Image

#30 keslerian one

keslerian one

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:04 AM

I like the idea of having Kassian in front of the net. Get him some dirty goals for confidence and hopefully he'll be reminiscent of what Bertuzzi gave us. But I doubt he makes that leap next year. One can hope...

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.