The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kesler and our Power Play

ButterBean

So 2 years ago we decided that we would try Kesler out on the first power play unit. He brings speed, good forecheck, and a good net presence to that top unit. It turned out really well and we've had a top 5 power play for the past 2 years as a result. But is it just me or is it a coincidence that Kesler has suffered two major injuries as a result of it? Constantly being hacked, slashed, and bumping shoulders every game wears on a guy after a full season. We could see better even strength numbers for Kesler if he's taken off. Not to mention a longer career. And we've seen our power play as a whole get shut down in the playoffs against elite defensive defenseman like Chara and Mitchell. Should we look at exploring some different options on that top unit or would you like to keep it the same?

What about Zack Kassian? He has awesome strength down low and even though he lacks the speed and overall skills that Kesler brings, he makes up for it with his size. With his strength he is not only capable of wreaking havoc in front of the net but he is less likely to get injured with his size and he won't be a waste if he play him on the 4th, give him top PP time, and rotate him in our top 9 occasionally.

Thoughts?

Kesler is great in front of the net but he'd be better utilized as a shooter on the 2nd unit, which had no identity, and was even more of a mess once Hodgson was traded. Really hope we sign Wellwood to control the puck on the 2nd unit and be the 3rd line center 5-on-5 :)

Burrows can screen, take punishment and has great hand-eye, so he can be the net presence for the Sedins on the first unit (not to mention the chemistry they already have).

EDIT: Kassian would be worth a try for the front of the net on the 2nd unit.

H.Sedin, Kesler , D, Sedin

S.Weber - J.Garrison/K.Bieksa/Edler-Ballard-Tanev

Option 2:

D.Sedin, H Sedin, D. Alfredsson

S. Weber - J.Garrison/K.Bieksa/Edler-Ballard-Tanev

PP2:

Higgins, Hansen, Booth

Ballard - J.Garrison?

I was thinking if we were to get Doan, we could use him in Kesler's position on PP1.

Sedin Sedin Doan

Edler Garrison

Doan has a pretty solid frame at 6'1 and 228 lbs. He's strong enough to play in front of the net and is able to hold his own down low and along the boards. This would free up Kesler and allow him to play C on the 2nd unit. It's no secret that our 2nd unit looks a lot more dangerous when we have a natural centre on it(Hodgson last season, Kesler 2 years ago).

Top 6

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Booth Kesler Doan

Didn't alot of Keslers goals come on the power play, from his tip-ins from shots from the point?? When healthy no one does it better than Kesler on deflections and I don't think he utilized that aspect of his game enough last year whether it was from his hidden injuries or a change on the pp from the coaches perspective. Load up the 1st power play unit, its intimidating for opponents to see that.

Thank you for this thread. Nice read.

I think the key for Ryan is to stop using him to kill penalties in normal situations. Guys like Raymond Booth and Hansen need to take this role.

I believe Kes and Burr can still kill penalties 5 on 3 and in the last minute with the game on the line . We need to start preserving these two during the game . Cut down Keslers pk time and get him down to about 18min per game.

Archived