44 replies to this topic

#31 TotesMagotes

TotesMagotes

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:19 PM

funny that many people are saying the same... but lets forget contracts for a minute...

sedin sedin nash

how can any canucks fan NOT want a legit, goal scoring, top line power forward? seriously... and to top it off, hes CANADIAN - and not only canadian, he has the talent to be a shoe-in for team canada who has ridiculously stacked offence. we want to get bigger? we want to get tougher? we want the sedins back to 100 points? face it - we want nash.

anyhow just my 2 cents.. its not the end of the world if he signs elsewhere, i just find it silly that so many canuck fans are like "nash? no thanks i dont like his contract" ... well it must be the contract because there isnt really much not to like about rick nash..
and since i've stayed away from nash threads i'll make this point here...

iginla - 7 million cap hit
malkin - 8.7 million cap
thornton - 7 million
eric staal - 8.25 million

HMMM looks to me like if you want to keep an all-star power forward you have to shell out some moneys.

It's not about his contract, it's about Columbus asking for the moon in return for Nash, which is exactly why he hasn't been traded yet. Any team acquiring Nash is probably going to come out on the losing end of the deal.
Posted Image

#32 smokes

smokes

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:28 PM

Hahaha both Nashes "We'll represent Canada but to live there and work there...forget it"

#33 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,902 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:52 PM

Hahaha both Nashes "We'll represent Canada but to live there and work there...forget it"

Hear what you are saying but if you ate referring to Steve Nash as well I'm not sure the comment is fair. Unfortunately this country doesn't offer many outlets for Steve Nash to make the most of his talent and passion. To waste either is a disservice to ones self.

I'm not a basketball fan to be honest but doing your best in life is a virtue and if the US and A allows Steve Nash to live his life to its potential then so be it.

His philanthropy extends globally and he is now GM of senior men's basketball Canada.

His talents are Canadian rooted, his earnings are American, but he is giving back to many and that is a part of what makes a true Canadian.

Edited by riffraff, 10 July 2012 - 08:01 PM.

Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#34 BenDrinkin

BenDrinkin

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:02 PM

If he doesn't want to play in Canada, clearly that means he doesn't/can't handle the pressure of a big market that actually cares about hockey. Let him rot in Columbus.

#35 John.Tallhouse

John.Tallhouse

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:07 PM

If Nash stays in Columbus he'll be the star that never was...
Posted Image

#36 bloodycanuckleheads

bloodycanuckleheads

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:17 PM

I never wanted Nash here anyway. Great player, but ridiculous contract, both the length and the cap-hit. Would cost way too much for us also

Oh please! Nash has been probably the most dominant power-forward in the NHL since Bertuzzi plowed that guy who wouldn't fight him! Interestingly, a dominant power-forward is exactly the player we've needed since exactly the same time...

And, Nash is right now the 16th highest paid player in the NHL. 16! The most dominant power-forward in the game should be a lot closer to #1 than 16, seeing as it's the most sought-after position after #1 Center.

Oh yeah, and Nash is 28 - and his contract only runs for 6 more seasons. Yeah, so it's just absolutely ridiculous paying a (dominant) player until his early-30's!
Posted 08 October 2008 - 07:41 PM by BloodyCanuckleheads

I could definitely see Grabner going. He seems to have done his best to play his way out the door (and Gillis seems to be the smartest GM we've ever had, so, put two and two together)...

#37 CB007

CB007

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,250 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:21 PM

Did the report mix up Rick with Steve?
Posted Image

#38 smokes

smokes

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:53 PM

If he doesn't want to play in Canada, clearly that means he doesn't/can't handle the pressure of a big market that actually cares about hockey. Let him rot in Columbus.

Canadian teams are not necessarily bigger hockey markets. It just seams that way because Ottawa, Montreal, Vancouver, Calgary, and Edmonton don't have any other tickets.

#39 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:16 PM

I work in Pennsylvaina, I am completely immersed. The hockey awareness is basically non existent. It's like major league lacrosse, lots of die hard fans but not a part of the culture.

Nash is totally defined by the sport and a Canadian national yet he elects to only play in the USA?

What a greasy, greedy, coward.

Grow some
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#40 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,151 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:40 PM

In fairness to Steve Nash - he is 37 years old, and his only option to play in Canada is the Toronto Raptors, who are as likely to make the playoffs as the Leafs - going nowhere fast - and Nash has never won a Championship. His decision is as understandable as if Shane Doan decides to sign with a contender.

Rick Nash on the other hand... I don't care much what he wants to be honest. IMO he is in a class with Heatley, Spezza, Thornton (not exactly the top wrung of Canadian character players). I'm just glad all this has brought the Nash to Vancouver proposals to a halt. I'd take a guy like Doan or Morrow over Nash in an instant.

#41 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:44 PM

In fairness to Steve Nash - he is 37 years old, and his only option to play in Canada is the Toronto Raptors, who are as likely to make the playoffs as the Leafs - going nowhere fast - and Nash has never won a Championship. His decision is as understandable as if Shane Doan decides to sign with a contender.

Rick Nash on the other hand... I don't care much what he wants to be honest. IMO he is in a class with Heatley, Spezza, Thornton (not exactly the top wrung of Canadian character players). I'm just glad all this has brought the Nash to Vancouver proposals to a halt. I'd take a guy like Doan or Morrow over Nash in an instant.

Absolutely. Nash as no character. He is a primadonna who will fade like Lindros.

A guy like Doan is a warrior.
Posted Image

#42 BenDrinkin

BenDrinkin

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:24 AM

Canadian teams are not necessarily bigger hockey markets. It just seams that way because Ottawa, Montreal, Vancouver, Calgary, and Edmonton don't have any other tickets.

Maybe passionate market is what I should have said.

#43 Hedman

Hedman

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:53 PM

Oh please! Nash has been probably the most dominant power-forward in the NHL since Bertuzzi plowed that guy who wouldn't fight him! Interestingly, a dominant power-forward is exactly the player we've needed since exactly the same time...

And, Nash is right now the 16th highest paid player in the NHL. 16! The most dominant power-forward in the game should be a lot closer to #1 than 16, seeing as it's the most sought-after position after #1 Center.

Oh yeah, and Nash is 28 - and his contract only runs for 6 more seasons. Yeah, so it's just absolutely ridiculous paying a (dominant) player until his early-30's!

As i said, Nash is a great player. He might be the best power-forward in the NHL, but it's not by far. If we're looking for power-forwards, there are better choices, both cap-hit wise and "trade-wise". Nash would cost way too much for us. It won't be a Raymond,Ballard,1st, +. Our prospect pool is pretty weak even now, and it could be even weaker if we are trading for Nash. Nash would probably cost us one of our best forwards and one of our best defencemen, at least. Howson would probably not want much less than Kesler and Edler. Therefore, i don't want Nash cause i'm not sure if he would make our team better if we are trading half our team for him.

#44 GHL

GHL

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:08 PM

Taxes.

Posted Image

#45 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:10 PM

Taxes.

/thread

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.