Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

(Report) Might found out as early as today whether Doan stays in Phoenix or goes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
89 replies to this topic

#61 GHL

GHL

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:46 PM

Ryan Kesler battled with a injured hip and separated shoulder. He cared so much for the team, he played injured. I consider him a leader too.

Injured hip and separated shoulder AND playing despite such injuries is in fact very stupid and selfish. Hodgson was right and could have taken Kesler's place while Kesler heals for the playoffs and then turn on beast mode. But no. Kesler is a selfish player who's in for himself and is starting to have a track record for diving and a ba attitude.

Posted Image

#62 unknown33429

unknown33429

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:52 PM

Injured hip and separated shoulder AND playing despite such injuries is in fact very stupid and selfish. Hodgson was right and could have taken Kesler's place while Kesler heals for the playoffs and then turn on beast mode. But no. Kesler is a selfish player who's in for himself and is starting to have a track record for diving and a ba attitude.

He needs surgery for the shoulder, so he wouldn't have been available for the playoffs.

Are you CRAZY??? Trade Green for ONE first round pick?? He's restricted after this season.... He WILL get an offer sheet for 7-8 million from a number of teams regardless if he plays another minute for us or not. That offer sheet would be worth 4 first round draft choices.

Some fans overrate their players, and then there is this guy.

#63 Steven Stamkos

Steven Stamkos

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:04 PM

Summer house in Kelowna, owns the Kamloops Blazers. Wife stays in Kelowna until the kids school starts.

If he doesn't go to Phoenix I think he will sign here.

There are a bunch of NHL players who live in Kelowna / Okanagan area. Just because they live in BC during the summer doesn't mean they will sign with the Canucks, it's just that it's mainly beautiful all summer. Even Elton John has a house there.
Posted Image
Credit to: Ballard_4

#64 CanuckianOne

CanuckianOne

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,660 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:07 PM

Getting a bit late now. Any updates?

Zf3XIDB.png

Sig by: Samuel Påhlsson

#65 arsenalian

arsenalian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:16 PM

Getting a bit late now. Any updates?

His agent said it's unlikely any decision is made in the next 48 hours. So expect the Doan threads to get up to 120 pages of speculation by the weeks end :(

link from other thread http://www.usatoday....gent/56134798/1

edit: adding link

Edited by arsenalian, 10 July 2012 - 04:23 PM.

#66 canucks411

canucks411

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:47 PM

See, I personally don't buy that argument. Think of it, how much time do you think players REALLY have during the season to be able to go all the way up to Kelowna enough for it to be the deciding factor between taking 5 mill somewhere else and taking 3 mill here? Sure, the cup contention thing is definately a big factor too, but it's not like the wife lives in Coquitlam or Surrey where he can easily get there in 20-30 minutes after a game or on a day off. Kelowna is still a heck of a trip, might even take less time to fly from Phoenix to Kelowna than drive from Vancouver to Kelowna

So everyone else will be offering 5mil and we'll only be offering 3? Thanks for the insight Gillis.

Fact of the matter is the wife would easily be able to make a trip to Kelowna for just a weekend vs say Phily or New York. Lots of people want to play close to home (Garrison, Hamhuis, etc)

Edited by canucks411, 10 July 2012 - 04:54 PM.

Posted Image
Thanks Ballard_4 for the sig!

#67 Primal Optimist

Primal Optimist

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,804 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:00 PM

I figured we were out of the running on money issues too, but then i thought, wait a tick: we are going to clearly nudge up to the cap again and then put Kesler on LTIR if we offer Doan 5m and kesler is out for October, November and half December then when Kesler comes back we aren't 5mil over the cap,...but we will have to come back to cap compliance. BUT October, November and Half of December are 71 days, say, of the 187ish day long season, or 38% of it. To put that simpler, when the cap relief comes off as kesler is back, we would then be on the hook for 62% of 5m of Doans contract to count against the cap. or 3.1m VOILA see what i did there? It was my mistake too till I thought on it overnight, lol.

We in theory have room for Doan assuming Kesler mises 60 -80 days of hockey and the team nudges right up to the cap and places Kes on LTIR.

1286820874m_THUMB.jpg
CDC GM League small.png General Manager

Happy Hockey Fan!!!

#68 Cr8zyCanuck

Cr8zyCanuck

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:19 PM

Summer house in Kelowna, owns the Kamloops Blazers. Wife stays in Kelowna until the kids school starts.

If he doesn't go to Phoenix I think he will sign here.

I hope you're right. Logic seems to work in most cases.... but Loyalty isn't always logical.

#69 LostViking

LostViking

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:05 PM

I figured we were out of the running on money issues too, but then i thought, wait a tick: we are going to clearly nudge up to the cap again and then put Kesler on LTIR if we offer Doan 5m and kesler is out for October, November and half December then when Kesler comes back we aren't 5mil over the cap,...but we will have to come back to cap compliance. BUT October, November and Half of December are 71 days, say, of the 187ish day long season, or 38% of it. To put that simpler, when the cap relief comes off as kesler is back, we would then be on the hook for 62% of 5m of Doans contract to count against the cap. or 3.1m VOILA see what i did there? It was my mistake too till I thought on it overnight, lol.

We in theory have room for Doan assuming Kesler mises 60 -80 days of hockey and the team nudges right up to the cap and places Kes on LTIR.

We would need a $3m player in our last spot to reach the upper cap (assuming $70.2). If we reached that we could replace Kesler's entire $5m cap hit by adding another player. As we would have had to sign someone else in order to reach the upper limit, the maximum we could spend on Doan would be the $5m in LTIR relief. Upon Kesler's return, we lose all LTIR relief. We would need to shed $5m in cap space before Kesler is activated, no pro-ration.

Right now, as we have $3m in cap space with a 22 man roster, we would gain $2m in LTIR relief. Thus the maximum we could spend on Doan would be $5m (our remaining space + LTIR relief). Upon Kesler's return, we lose all LTIR relief. We would need to shed $2m in cap space before Kesler is activated, no pro-ration.

The only way we could save up money for later is by operating under the cap. Even with Kesler's cap hit included, and ignoring any LTIR relief we get, we must be under the cap in order to bank money. If we have LTIR space available and aren't using it all, we are only banking LTIR space, which disappears when the player returns to the roster.

Bottom line, we would likely make a trade in order to accommodate Mr. Doan's cap hit.

Edited by LostViking, 10 July 2012 - 07:06 PM.

Posted Image

#70 smokes

smokes

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:23 PM

First the fans want Schultz who is from BC, Garrison was next, Now Doan who has BC roots, next year is Weber.

The fans are really looking for an all BC team.

#71 HavocSpree

HavocSpree

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:34 PM

First the fans want Schultz who is from BC, Garrison was next, Now Doan who has BC roots, next year is Weber.

The fans are really looking for an all BC team.

HELL YEAH :towel:

:bigblush:

Posted Image

credit to marinated.pea for the sick sig

#72 John.Tallhouse

John.Tallhouse

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:42 PM

We need more Canadian blood!!
Posted Image

#73 BenDrinkin

BenDrinkin

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:09 PM

Dang, if he is looking for $5m/yr with term, is it even a consideration for the Canucks?

#74 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:13 PM

According to HockeyyInsiderr Canucks are one of the final 6 teams in on Doan:

“@HockeyyInsiderr: In the East we have #Pens #Habs and #Canes. In the West we have #DallasStars #SJSharks and #Canucks. #DoanSweepstakes”

Botchford also said that he would like to be on a contending team, so I guess we can knock off Habs, Stars and Canes off that list.
Posted Image

#75 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:25 PM

According to HockeyyInsiderr Canucks are one of the final 6 teams in on Doan:

“@HockeyyInsiderr: In the East we have #Pens #Habs and #Canes. In the West we have #DallasStars #SJSharks and #Canucks. #DoanSweepstakes”

Botchford also said that he would like to be on a contending team, so I guess we can knock off Habs, Stars and Canes off that list.
Posted Image

#76 winthecup

winthecup

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:25 PM

he also said:

Hockeyy Insiderr@HockeyyInsiderr

As of right now, sources have confirmed to me the team that is the front runner in the Doan file are the #SJSharks.

#77 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:29 PM

he also said:

Hockeyy Insiderr@HockeyyInsiderr
As of right now, sources have confirmed to me the team that is the front runner in the Doan file are the #SJSharks.

what happen to Canucks being favourite.....

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#78 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,301 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:35 PM

Doan @ 5 mil for 3 or 4 years is less risk than Nash, Parise, or Lecavalier at their salary and term.

If that's what he wants, that's what we offer. Otherwise we go through another season without addressing our second line.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#79 FS91

FS91

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:35 PM

what happen to Canucks being favourite.....

He has to change the rumour every day to ensure when a deal happens he can say he called it.

#80 ButterBean

ButterBean

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:11 PM

He has to change the rumour every day to ensure when a deal happens he can say he called it.

OR things change..

#81 LanghorneslimRules

LanghorneslimRules

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:17 PM

Doan @ 5 mil for 3 or 4 years is less risk than Nash, Parise, or Lecavalier at their salary and term.

If that's what he wants, that's what we offer. Otherwise we go through another season without addressing our second line.

Um no thanks. 5 million ensure either burrows or elder is gone, it totally handicaps up for 4 years with being able to keep are core. 5 for a player like Doan is to high, especially by year four when he is only putting up 40 points. Rather get a winger via trade. Apparently Lupul for Luongo is the hot rumor right now.

#82 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:23 PM

Um no thanks. 5 million ensure either burrows or elder is gone, it totally handicaps up for 4 years with being able to keep are core. 5 for a player like Doan is to high, especially by year four when he is only putting up 40 points. Rather get a winger via trade. Apparently Lupul for Luongo is the hot rumor right now.

where did you get the Lupul rumour from?

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#83 velocity

velocity

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:35 PM

We would need a $3m player in our last spot to reach the upper cap (assuming $70.2). If we reached that we could replace Kesler's entire $5m cap hit by adding another player. As we would have had to sign someone else in order to reach the upper limit, the maximum we could spend on Doan would be the $5m in LTIR relief. Upon Kesler's return, we lose all LTIR relief. We would need to shed $5m in cap space before Kesler is activated, no pro-ration.

Right now, as we have $3m in cap space with a 22 man roster, we would gain $2m in LTIR relief. Thus the maximum we could spend on Doan would be $5m (our remaining space + LTIR relief). Upon Kesler's return, we lose all LTIR relief. We would need to shed $2m in cap space before Kesler is activated, no pro-ration.

The only way we could save up money for later is by operating under the cap. Even with Kesler's cap hit included, and ignoring any LTIR relief we get, we must be under the cap in order to bank money. If we have LTIR space available and aren't using it all, we are only banking LTIR space, which disappears when the player returns to the roster.

Bottom line, we would likely make a trade in order to accommodate Mr. Doan's cap hit.

Raymond :bigblush:

#84 BenDrinkin

BenDrinkin

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:47 PM

Rather just plug away next year and save that cap room for Weber.

#85 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,940 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:49 PM

I guess we don't might found out today...

D'oh.
Posted Image

#86 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,557 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:13 PM

This thread fails in 45mins...

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#87 winthecup

winthecup

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:32 AM

News1130 Sports@News1130Sports
Shane Doan's agent Terry Bross now says July 16th is the new date for the Coyotes to solve their ownership situation.

Bross "I would say if we don't have an answer by the 16th (of July), it may be time to get serious about listening to other teams' offers."

Edited by winthecup, 11 July 2012 - 08:34 AM.

#88 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,920 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:12 AM

There are a bunch of NHL players who live in Kelowna / Okanagan area. Just because they live in BC during the summer doesn't mean they will sign with the Canucks, it's just that it's mainly beautiful all summer. Even Elton John has a house there.

Elton John to the Canucks (E5)
Posted Image

#89 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,920 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:13 AM

Shane Doan's agent Terry Bross now says July 16th is the new date for the Coyotes to solve their ownership situation.

Bross "I would say if we don't have an answer by the 16th (of July), it may be time to get serious about listening to other teams' offers."

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! WHY DAMN YOUS WHY???????? :frantic:
Posted Image

#90 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,901 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:30 AM

I dont I think it was dumb for him to play hurt when someone who was more capable to play should have played.Thats not leadership a leader would have not played.Thats ignorance that he played and hurt the team instead of helping.I like kesler dont get me wrong but thats twice he played hurt and hurt the team doing so.

ButterBean alreay made this point, but I'll add to it: Danny already injured, Coho gone to Buffalo......who is this player you would have slotted into Kes' place?

Regarding your second sentence: Seriously? How many times have you heard or read anyone saying "what a great leader" someone was because they took themselves out of the lineup?

FTR, NHL players play through injuries all the time. It's as common as "Fire AV" posts on CDC.

Edited by RUPERTKBD, 11 July 2012 - 10:31 AM.

Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.