Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Report] Brendan Morrow available to be traded (Blues interested)

Rumour

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
35 replies to this topic

#1 winthecup

winthecup

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:27 AM

http://www.stltoday....1a4bcf6878.html

Blues general manager Doug Armstrong has acknowledged being involved in trade talks recently and now those discussions could be leading to a deal soon.
The Blues have prioritized adding a top-four defenseman this offseason, and after failing to land one in free agency, the trade route may be the club's only option. But while that search continues, Armstrong might have found a veteran forward to add to the mix.
Dallas captain Brenden Morrow is believed to be available and it appears that the Blues have interest. They may not be the only team asking about Morrow, as the New York Rangers, San Jose Sharks and Los Angeles Kings may also be in contact with the Stars.
Morrow, 33, has perhaps seen his time pass in Dallas. The Stars have undergone much change in the past few weeks, signing free-agents Jaromir Jagr and Ray Whitney and acquiring Derek Roy via trade. The club even dealt Mike Ribeiro, with whom Morrow has shared on-ice chemistry in the past. The moves have seemingly pushed Morrow out of the top-six forwards.
Morrow plays left wing, and the Blues have three left wingers on their roster in David Perron, Andy McDonald and Alex Steen. They also have Matt D'Agostini and Jaden Schwartz, but Blues coach Ken Hitchcock prefers D'Agostini on the right side and Schwartz isn't a guarantee to make the opening-night roster. Steen could see time at center, which could leave a spot open on the left side.
Morrow is coming off an injury-riddled season. He played in just 57 games because of neck and back issues, posting 11 goals and 26 points. He played the final 14 games of the 2011-12 regular season, wrapping up against the Blues on April 7. He did not opt for surgery this offseason, instead using rest and rehab to ease the pain.
If healthy, Morrow could be the type of forward that would help the Blues. The two seasons prior to last year, he combined for 53 goals and 102 points. Eighteen of those 53 goals came on the power play, on which Morrow (6-foot, 209 pounds) likes to get dirty in front of the net. He's also solid defensively with a career plus-minus of +110.
Morrow has one year left on a six-year, $24.6 million contract with Dallas. The winger will make $4.1 million in 2012-13. He has a full no-trade clause, but could be willing to waive it to reunite with Armstrong and Hitchcock, the Stars' former GM and head coach, respectively. Morrow was also a member of the 2010 Canadian Olympic team, which had Armstrong as an executive assistant and Hitchcock as an assistant coach.
Morrow has been captain of the Stars since 2006, replacing franchise icon Mike Modano - a move that was made with Modano still on the team, leading to an awkward transition. If the Stars are moving in a new direction, it's highly unlikely that they would go down the same road with Morrow, who is believed to have a solid relationship with Stars' GM Joe Nieuwendyk.
The more likely scenario would be Morrow being traded. The Blues, who expressed interest in Phoenix's Shane Doan, seem to be a logical destination for Morrow.

Read more: http://www.stltoday....l#ixzz20EnujxIL

#2 billabong

billabong

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,128 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:31 AM

sign doan 2yr/10 million

to dal: booth, raymond

to van: morrow

sedin-sedin-burrows
morrow-kesler-doan

:shock:
Posted Image

#3 CanucksFanMike

CanucksFanMike

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:32 AM

If we could get one of Morrow or Doan that would be really awesome.
Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#4 Guest_AriGold_*

Guest_AriGold_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:33 AM

Morrow is exactly the type of player the Blues love. Works hard, hits hard and gets the dirty goals. He would fit the system so well.

#5 JordanEberle

JordanEberle

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:35 AM

sign doan 2yr/10 million

sedin-sedin-burrows
morrow-kesler-doan

No way Im trading two 27? year old wingers for a late 30's center who cant even play a full season
Posted Image
Credit: Garrett-6

#6 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:38 AM

That's the issue. Not that he's too old, but we'd have to trade youth to get him, and he's not a superstar. Love his stats from his last playoff appearance, though that pace wasn't sustainable. No Morrow in Van.
PSN: CloakOfSkill

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists somewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

It bugs me when people pull out the gold medal for an example... Luongo only had to outplay Brodeur.

#7 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,349 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:41 AM

If the Blues got him without giving up a big piece from their offensive core, they would arguably have the deepest forward depth in the league.
They pretty much have 3 2nd lines the way it is.

Jagermeister.jpg

#8 canucks_dynasty

canucks_dynasty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,070 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:51 AM

Prospect + pick for Morrow?

#9 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:56 AM

Prospect + pick for Morrow?

Dallas looks pretty good right now. They probably want someone young but developed enough to slot into the lineup.
PSN: CloakOfSkill

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists somewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

It bugs me when people pull out the gold medal for an example... Luongo only had to outplay Brodeur.

#10 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,516 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:57 AM

sign doan 2yr/10 million

sedin-sedin-burrows
morrow-kesler-doan

sick lineup but i wouldnt even do the morrow trade if we got doan.. the experience would be awesome for gunning for the cup over the next 2 years but we are also at the point now where we got to start getting a bit younger if we want to stay competitive and be able to compete for the cup for years to come. i think trading booth for an older player would hurt us in the long run. if we had a bunch of cant miss prospects id be all for it, but we dont and trading guys that are going to retire with the twins is not a good idea.

i say go for doan and see what happens via goalie trade.

#11 Jake's_Dad

Jake's_Dad

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:59 AM

No way Im trading two 27? year old wingers for a late 30's center who cant even play a full season

I dunno, it's not a bad idea if we get a few prospects that can make the jump in a year or two- good thing about these guys is they can play top 6 or bottom 6 very competently.

I wouldn't be upset with that opening lineup for the year ESP if we need to use Schroeder in the 2nd line role for a few months. Being flanked by two heart and soul vets could infuse a huge boost to shredders understanding of the pro way as well as to his confidence.
-formerly known as macvic24

#12 Crom!

Crom!

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,376 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:03 AM

I wonder if Dallas would be interested in Chris Stewart?

#13 Fanuck

Fanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,857 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:39 AM

As mentioned, Morrow is the exact type of player the Blues covet - I'm wondering however if the Blues have too many guys like Morrow already - Backes, Stewart, Langer, Arnott (if he re-signs), Oshie...all somewhat similar payers (I said similar so all you geeks looking up their stats and are ready to point out their age difference or their detailed 'metrics' can all calm down now).

After their season last year the Blues organization and fan-base may be thinking that this guy (or another key signing) may be what it takes to get them the the 'next level'.

#14 westcoast

westcoast

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:43 AM

I'm not endorsing the trade ,but I have to say Doan-Kesler-Morrow....like to watch that.

#15 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:26 AM

As mentioned, Morrow is the exact type of player the Blues covet - I'm wondering however if the Blues have too many guys like Morrow already - Backes, Stewart, Langer, Arnott (if he re-signs), Oshie...all somewhat similar payers (I said similar so all you geeks looking up their stats and are ready to point out their age difference or their detailed 'metrics' can all calm down now).

After their season last year the Blues organization and fan-base may be thinking that this guy (or another key signing) may be what it takes to get them the the 'next level'.

I wouldn't lump Oshie into that mix since he's a pretty slick puckhandler with oodles of offensive creativity. The Blues have MacDonald, Oshie, Perron, D'Agostini, Schwartz, and now Tarasenko as creative playmakers, and Schwartz and Tarasenko will both need all the big, power wingers they can get.

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#16 Prngr44

Prngr44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,488 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:33 AM

Interesting trade. Pretty much a tossup with regards to who goes back.

It'll be interesting to see.
I hate the Canucks so much they're my second favorite team.
Posted Image

#17 billabong

billabong

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,128 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:10 PM

late 30's center???? morrow is a left winger and he is 33

if we have a chance to get both doan and morrow, booth has to be moved due to cap problems and lack of roster spots in the top 6....morrow had neck/back problems last season and the only way i want him is if he goes through extensive physical/health testing
Posted Image

#18 billabong

billabong

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,128 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:14 PM

sick lineup but i wouldnt even do the morrow trade if we got doan.. the experience would be awesome for gunning for the cup over the next 2 years but we are also at the point now where we got to start getting a bit younger if we want to stay competitive and be able to compete for the cup for years to come. i think trading booth for an older player would hurt us in the long run. if we had a bunch of cant miss prospects id be all for it, but we dont and trading guys that are going to retire with the twins is not a good idea.

i say go for doan and see what happens via goalie trade.

in two years we might have a problem but you dont know what the future has in store for us...in the meantime, with that top 6 we have a chance at going repeat stanley cup champions...thats a small price to pay in two years if we win a cup or two in the meantime
Posted Image

#19 Dayman

Dayman

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:28 PM

At least we'd get rid of Booth's bad contract

#20 winthecup

winthecup

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:34 PM

At least we'd get rid of Booth's bad contract

Is Booth's contract that bad? $4 Mil/year for a 20-25 goal scorer is about the going rate these days. Booth scored 16 goals in 56 games for the Canucks last year....that would put him on pace for over 20 goals in a full season.

#21 GM

GM

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:49 PM

late 30's center???? morrow is a left winger and he is 33

if we have a chance to get both doan and morrow, booth has to be moved due to cap problems and lack of roster spots in the top 6....morrow had neck/back problems last season and the only way i want him is if he goes through extensive physical/health testing

I don't think Booth would have to move due to cap problems or lack of roster spots in the top 6.........they can just trade or get rid of Malhotra+Raymond.....

Sedin-Sedin-Doan
Booth-Kesler-Morrow
Higgins-Dubinsky-Burrows
Hansen-Lappierre-Kassian

This lineup could fit under the cap if they can sign Doan for around 5 mill per......

#22 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 80,293 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:54 PM

I don't think Booth would have to move due to cap problems or lack of roster spots in the top 6.........they can just trade or get rid of Malhotra+Raymond.....

Sedin-Sedin-Doan
Booth-Kesler-Morrow
Higgins-Dubinsky-Burrows
Hansen-Lappierre-Kassian

This lineup could fit under the cap if they can sign Doan for around 5 mill per......

Wow, I love that lineup.

307mg00.jpg

#23 Prngr44

Prngr44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,488 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:00 PM

Is Malhotra willing to waive his NTC?
I hate the Canucks so much they're my second favorite team.
Posted Image

#24 Mr. White

Mr. White

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:27 PM

I think I'd rather have Doan
Posted Image
^VanCauck93^

#25 kloubek

kloubek

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,611 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:42 PM

Sedin-Sedin-Doan
Booth-Kesler-Morrow
Higgins-Dubinsky-Burrows
Hansen-Lappierre-Kassian

Love this lineup as well. Dubinsky at 4+ million for a 3rd liner seems way too steep though. And how would we possibly aquire a player of his calibre - our biggest asset is Luongo who the Rangers certainly do not need?Really, everyone has written Malhotra off. I'm curious to see how he performs this coming season after a full offseason. In all honesty he is probably not going to return to form 100% but it is still possible, and last year was not a good representation of a "fully recovered" player.
Biggest Canucks Fan this Side of the Rockies.

#26 billabong

billabong

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,128 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:31 PM

Sedin-Sedin-Doan
Booth-Kesler-Morrow
Higgins-Dubinsky-Burrows
Hansen-Lappierre-Kassian

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Shane Doan ($5.000m)
Brenden Morrow ($4.100m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / David Booth ($4.250m)
Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / Brandon Dubinsky ($4.200m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)
Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Andrew Ebbett ($0.600m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Alexander Edler ($3.250m) / Jason Garrison ($4.600m)
Keith Ballard ($4.200m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)
Andrew Alberts ($1.225m) /
GOALTENDERS
Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $76,708,333; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (22-man roster):- $6,508,333

that line up wouldnt work because we haft to take salary back in any luongo trade, we would haft to move out malhotra(not gonna happen just because of how great of a guy he is), ballard and even then we will still be just under the cap ceiling and then you haft to factor in that the new cba negotiations might bring the cap ceiling to 64-65 million
Posted Image

#27 GM

GM

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:24 PM

Love this lineup as well. Dubinsky at 4+ million for a 3rd liner seems way too steep though. And how would we possibly aquire a player of his calibre - our biggest asset is Luongo who the Rangers certainly do not need?Really, everyone has written Malhotra off. I'm curious to see how he performs this coming season after a full offseason. In all honesty he is probably not going to return to form 100% but it is still possible, and last year was not a good representation of a "fully recovered" player.

Maybe something like Mason Raymond+2nd+4th for Dubinsky.

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS
Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / Brandon Dubinsky ($4.200m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)
Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Andrew Ebbett ($0.600m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Keith Ballard ($4.200m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)
Andrew Alberts ($1.225m) /
GOALTENDERS
Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
------
SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $76,708,333; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (22-man roster):- $6,508,333

that line up wouldnt work because we haft to take salary back in any luongo trade, we would haft to move out malhotra(not gonna happen just because of how great of a guy he is), ballard and even then we will still be just under the cap ceiling and then you haft to factor in that the new cba negotiations might bring the cap ceiling to 64-65 million

:huh: I didn't realize the cap might go down...... but assuming it stays the same......

The Canucks probably like Malhotra and would like to see if he can regain his form pre eye injury,but if it meant improving the team by adding guys like Doan,Morrow,Dubinsky I don't think they'd keep him out of pitty or because "he's a good guy"........they could either trade him,bury him in the AHL or put him on LTIR without his salary affecting the cap.

As for Ballard he'd be easy to trade if need be.......maybe even to Dallas for Morrow....

As for Luongo I've never heard or even think they'd have to take on any significant salaries in return so I don't know how you came up with that.......They could deal him for picks/prospects if they had to.

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS
Zack Kassian($0.870m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Andrew Ebbett ($0.600m)

DEFENSEMEN
Chris Tanev ($0.900m) / ????????
Andrew Alberts ($1.225m)

GOALTENDERS
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
Eddie Lack($0.900m)
------
SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $66,445,000; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $3,755,000

Leaves them with $3,755,000 to add another D-man.

#28 Cr8zyCanuck

Cr8zyCanuck

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:20 PM

sign doan 2yr/10 million

sedin-sedin-burrows
morrow-kesler-doan

Don't make me orgasm. :bigblush:

#29 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:26 PM

Of course the Blues are interested. They're afraid in having anyone better than a 25 goal scorer.

Trying to win by committee is a massive mistake. You need your game changers, your game breakers, your stars and they have NONE
Posted Image

#30 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,516 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:31 PM

in two years we might have a problem but you dont know what the future has in store for us...in the meantime, with that top 6 we have a chance at going repeat stanley cup champions...thats a small price to pay in two years if we win a cup or two in the meantime

I know what your saying but I just don't agree with goin all in for a 2yr window. I know anything can happen but the odds are against us staying competitive if we start trading for older guys now.

I think acquiring booth for 2 older players was the first step in recycling to stay competitive longer. The next few seasons of transactions and prospects emerging are going to determine whether we go full rebuild or stay contenders like Detroit did for 20yrs.

To win the cup you need alot more than just a stacked team and imo the longer were contending the more chances we have at peaking at the right time and stayin healthy for 4 rounds.

I'm all for getting doan at the right price but not trading booth and/or prospects to get morrow

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.