The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Brendan Morrow available to be traded (Blues interested)

http://www.stltoday....1a4bcf6878.html

Blues general manager Doug Armstrong has acknowledged being involved in trade talks recently and now those discussions could be leading to a deal soon.

The Blues have prioritized adding a top-four defenseman this offseason, and after failing to land one in free agency, the trade route may be the club's only option. But while that search continues, Armstrong might have found a veteran forward to add to the mix.

Dallas captain Brenden Morrow is believed to be available and it appears that the Blues have interest. They may not be the only team asking about Morrow, as the New York Rangers, San Jose Sharks and Los Angeles Kings may also be in contact with the Stars.

Morrow, 33, has perhaps seen his time pass in Dallas. The Stars have undergone much change in the past few weeks, signing free-agents Jaromir Jagr and Ray Whitney and acquiring Derek Roy via trade. The club even dealt Mike Ribeiro, with whom Morrow has shared on-ice chemistry in the past. The moves have seemingly pushed Morrow out of the top-six forwards.

Morrow plays left wing, and the Blues have three left wingers on their roster in David Perron, Andy McDonald and Alex Steen. They also have Matt D'Agostini and Jaden Schwartz, but Blues coach Ken Hitchcock prefers D'Agostini on the right side and Schwartz isn't a guarantee to make the opening-night roster. Steen could see time at center, which could leave a spot open on the left side.

Morrow is coming off an injury-riddled season. He played in just 57 games because of neck and back issues, posting 11 goals and 26 points. He played the final 14 games of the 2011-12 regular season, wrapping up against the Blues on April 7. He did not opt for surgery this offseason, instead using rest and rehab to ease the pain.

If healthy, Morrow could be the type of forward that would help the Blues. The two seasons prior to last year, he combined for 53 goals and 102 points. Eighteen of those 53 goals came on the power play, on which Morrow (6-foot, 209 pounds) likes to get dirty in front of the net. He's also solid defensively with a career plus-minus of +110.

Morrow has one year left on a six-year, $24.6 million contract with Dallas. The winger will make $4.1 million in 2012-13. He has a full no-trade clause, but could be willing to waive it to reunite with Armstrong and Hitchcock, the Stars' former GM and head coach, respectively. Morrow was also a member of the 2010 Canadian Olympic team, which had Armstrong as an executive assistant and Hitchcock as an assistant coach.

Morrow has been captain of the Stars since 2006, replacing franchise icon Mike Modano - a move that was made with Modano still on the team, leading to an awkward transition. If the Stars are moving in a new direction, it's highly unlikely that they would go down the same road with Morrow, who is believed to have a solid relationship with Stars' GM Joe Nieuwendyk.

The more likely scenario would be Morrow being traded. The Blues, who expressed interest in Phoenix's Shane Doan, seem to be a logical destination for Morrow.

Guest AriGold

Morrow is exactly the type of player the Blues love. Works hard, hits hard and gets the dirty goals. He would fit the system so well.

As mentioned, Morrow is the exact type of player the Blues covet - I'm wondering however if the Blues have too many guys like Morrow already - Backes, Stewart, Langer, Arnott (if he re-signs), Oshie...all somewhat similar payers (I said similar so all you geeks looking up their stats and are ready to point out their age difference or their detailed 'metrics' can all calm down now).

After their season last year the Blues organization and fan-base may be thinking that this guy (or another key signing) may be what it takes to get them the the 'next level'.

As mentioned, Morrow is the exact type of player the Blues covet - I'm wondering however if the Blues have too many guys like Morrow already - Backes, Stewart, Langer, Arnott (if he re-signs), Oshie...all somewhat similar payers (I said similar so all you geeks looking up their stats and are ready to point out their age difference or their detailed 'metrics' can all calm down now).

After their season last year the Blues organization and fan-base may be thinking that this guy (or another key signing) may be what it takes to get them the the 'next level'.

sick lineup but i wouldnt even do the morrow trade if we got doan.. the experience would be awesome for gunning for the cup over the next 2 years but we are also at the point now where we got to start getting a bit younger if we want to stay competitive and be able to compete for the cup for years to come. i think trading booth for an older player would hurt us in the long run. if we had a bunch of cant miss prospects id be all for it, but we dont and trading guys that are going to retire with the twins is not a good idea.

i say go for doan and see what happens via goalie trade.

Archived