34 replies to this topic

#1 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,004 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:27 AM

Ok so its summer which means its time for fantasy type team threads right.  Out of boredom I put to together two teams of the all time best players post expansion era, one team representing players from Canada and another players from the rest of the world.  Out of these two teams if all players were able to magically come back and play in their prime who would win in a 7 game series?

Please feel free to comment on you think who would win, or post your own teams if you think I missed somebody.

Team Canada

L.Robitaille-W.Gretzky-G.Howe
B.Shannahan-M.Lemiuex-G.LaFleur
C.Neely-M.Messier-M.Bossy
B.Gainey-S.Yzerman-J.Ignila
extras: J. Sackic, P.Esposito, D. Ciccarelli, S. Crosby, G. Anderson

B.Orr-S.Stevens
R.Bourque-D.Harvey
L.Robinson-B.Park
extras: A. MacInnis,P.Coffey, S.Neidermayer  

P. Roy
M. Brodeur
extra: J. Plante

Team World
V.Kharlamov-I.Larionov-P.Bure
A.Mogilny-P.Statsny-J.Jagr
S.Federov-P.Datsyuk-J.Kurri
M.Naslund-P.Foresberg-T.Selanne
extras: M. Sundin, D. Sedin, H. Sedin, E. Malkin, A. Ovechkin

Festisov-Kasatonov
Lidstrom-Chara
Houseley-Leetch
extras: Zubov, Salming, Chelious

Hasek
Tretiak
extra: M.Richter

So what does everybody think?

Edited by Langdon Algur, 10 July 2012 - 10:59 AM.

"What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on?" ~ Henry David Thoreau

#2 Blueberries

Blueberries

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,999 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:30 AM

Team Canada easy, but replace Messier with Sakic.

Posted Image

THANKS TO VINTAGE CANUCK FOR THE AWESOME SIG!!

#3 JordanEberle

JordanEberle

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:30 AM

Ok so its summer which means its time for fantasy type team threads right. Out of boredom I put to together two teams of the all time best players post expansion era, one team representing players from Canada and another players from the rest of the world. Out of these two teams if all players were able to magically come back and play in their prime who would win in a 7 game series?

Please feel free to comment on you think who would win, or post your own teams if you think I missed somebody.

Team Canada

L.Robitaille-W.Gretzky-M.Raymond
B.Shannahan-M.Lemiuex-G.LaFleur
C.Neely-M.Messier-M.Bossy
B.Gainey-S.Yzerman-J.Ignila
extras: J. Sackic, P.Esposito, D. Ciccarelli, S. Crosby, P. Kariya

B.Orr-S.Stevens
R.Bourque-D.Harvey
L.Robinson-B.Park
extras: A. MacInnis,P.Coffey, S.Neidermayer

P. Roy
M. Brodeur
extra: J. Plante

Team World
V.Kharlamov-I.Larionov-P.Bure
A.Mogilny-P.Statsny-J.Jagr
S.Federov-P.Datsyuk-J.Kurri
M.Naslund-P.Foresberg-T.Selanne
extras: M. Sundin, D. Sedin, H. Sedin, E. Malkin, A. Ovechkin

Festisov-Kasatonov
Lidstrom-Chara
Houseley-Leetch
extras: Zubov, Salming, Chelious

Hasek
Tretiak
extra: M.Richter

So what does everybody think?

fixed.

But in all seriousness I think the world would take that series
Posted Image
Credit: Garrett-6

#4 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,376 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:39 AM

Sure can't argue about your quality of picks, Langdon. Here's a few more names to toss into the discussion.

Howe? Richard? Morenz? Lindsay? Clarke? Mikita? Sawchuk? Dryden? Shore? Trottier? Sittler?

:towel: :canucks:

Edited by lof, 10 July 2012 - 10:39 AM.

webkit-fake-url://D8829558-F65F-49B9-9829-A7DFC7F2E6E4/application.pdf

#5 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,004 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:55 AM

Sure can't argue about your quality of picks, Langdon. Here's a few more names to toss into the discussion.

Howe? Richard? Morenz? Lindsay? Clarke? Mikita? Sawchuk? Dryden? Shore? Trottier? Sittler?

Can't believe I left out Howe, the greatest RW in the histroy of hockey. Guys like Morez, Richard and Lindsay were left out cause I was just going with post expansion era (1967) players as I know them best and to be fair to team world as prior to 67 hockey wasn't played much outside of Canada. agree that the other players you suggested are all world class, man this would be a hard team to make for a player!!
"What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on?" ~ Henry David Thoreau

#6 soshified

soshified

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:57 AM

Team Canada will take it. But then, i'm biased.

Posted Image

#7 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,375 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:58 AM

Howe over Anderson.
Richard over Iginla.
Sawchuk over Plante.

And

Mikita over Naslund
Posted Image

#8 Garrison

Garrison

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:04 AM

Sakic and Richard in for Iginla and Shannahan for forwards and Coffey should defiantly be in the starting line up.

Canada would win easily.

#9 Venom52

Venom52

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,855 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:10 AM

Screw positions man, just plop in the best players and we are sure to win:

Richard-Gretzky-Howe
Bossy-Lemieux-Hull
Beliveau-Trottier-Esposito
Hawerchuk-Yzerman-Lafleur
*Delvecchio, Sakic

Orr-Bourque
Potvin-Robinson
Stevens-MacInnis
*Coffey, Niedermayer

Brodeur
Roy
*Dryden

Edited by Venom52, 10 July 2012 - 11:10 AM.

Posted Image

#10 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,004 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:33 AM

Richard played before NHL expansion which is why he was left out!!!

#11 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,376 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:03 PM

Howe over Anderson.
Richard over Iginla.
Sawchuk over Plante.

And

Mikita over Naslund

This is an interesting one, Jager...

Born in Slovakia... Raised in Ontario... Only ever played 2 International games, in the '72 Summit... for Canada!

Does he play for the All-World Team or the All-Canadian Team?

PS - Note to Langdon... totally glazed over the "post-expansion" part. Sorry, dude. 2 more players for you, too... Marcel Dionne and Gilbert Perreault!

Edited by lof, 10 July 2012 - 01:08 PM.

#12 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,319 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:08 PM

Kurri should be an extra on the world team.

And how Brett Hull isn't on the team (for the world) let alone in the top 6 makes no sense to me.

- 741 goals (3rd all-time)
- 86 Goal season (Only Gretzky has had more in a single season)
- Lead the league in goals 3 straight years
- Two 50 goals in 50 games years (only Gretzky has had more)
- Three 70+ Goal season, Five 50+ Goal seasons.

He should be on it.

And Iginla wouldnt make that team Canada, no chance.

I would put Bobby Hull on it also.

There's too many more too go through.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 10 July 2012 - 01:11 PM.

zackass.png

#13 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,004 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:16 PM

Kurri should be an extra on the world team.

And how Brett Hull isn't on the team (for the world) let alone in the top 6 makes no sense to me.

- 741 goals (3rd all-time)
- 86 Goal season (Only Gretzky has had more in a single season)
- Lead the league in goals 3 straight years
- Two 50 goals in 50 games years (only Gretzky has had more)
- Three 70+ Goal season, Five 50+ Goal seasons.

He should be on it.

And Iginla wouldnt make that team Canada, I would put Bobby Hull on it also.

agree Hull should be on the team, his numbers are outstanding I just didn't know what team to put him on since he was born in Canada but played internationally for the US. I had a similar problem with Statsny but he was too good to ignore. disagree about Kurri being an extra though. He has 601 goals (18th all time), was more than a point per game, and was the highest ranking player from Northern Europe on hockey news all time greats.

#14 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,319 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:23 PM

agree Hull should be on the team, his numbers are outstanding I just didn't know what team to put him on since he was born in Canada but played internationally for the US. I had a similar problem with Statsny but he was too good to ignore. disagree about Kurri being an extra though. He has 601 goals (18th all time), was more than a point per game, and was the highest ranking player from Northern Europe on hockey news all time greats.

Kurri was great but he was with the 2nd greatest player to ever play in Gretzky (Bobby Orr is #1 Imo), Hull did have Oates but Gretzky is Millions of Miles better than Oates.

Kurri still would have been a very good player but not nearly as good without Gretzky.

I would put Hull in over Kurri.

zackass.png

#15 BabychStache

BabychStache

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:10 PM

No love for the Yankees... Hull, Chelios, Modano, Roenick etc?
Posted Image
Credit to Goaltenderinterference for the awesome Sig!

#16 Nas19

Nas19

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:12 PM

POPULAR

I know a lot of people are going to hate me for saying this but... Crosby is better than Messier and Yzerman. By the time Crosby's career is over (as long as it's not shortened due to injury problems) he will be considered one of the best to ever play the game. If he plays as many games as Gretzky did, at the pace Sid's going, he will amass over 2000 points in his career.

Have you ever built something up in your head before? For example have you ever built a person up in your mind to make them way more attractive then they actually are? Say a girl you used to know at high school. You remember thinking she was the hottest girl ever, yet when you see her a year later she doesn't seem that attractive, but her appearance hasn't changed at all. You built her up in your head so much that when you finally see her again, it's a let down. People seem to being doing that to legends now a days. For example let's take Gordie Howe. Did you know that Howe only ONCE broke the 100 point mark? He averaged around 70-80 points a year. Stan Mikita is another one. Mikita NEVER broke the 100 point mark and, just like Howe, averaged around 70-80 points a year.

I'm not knocking Howe or Mikita. They're legends whose names will never be forgotten by hockey fans, I'm just trying to put things in perspective.

Howe and Mikita's impact on the game is greater than Crosby's but by the time Crosby's career is over he will have had a greater impact on the game than a lot of legends. Ovechkin had the potential to make a huge impact on the game as well but I don't know what happened to him.

People get skill and impact on the game mixed up. All the legends (Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr, Howe, Yzerman, Sakic etc.) have had a WAY bigger impact on the game of hockey then Crosby, BUT if you're going to go by skill Crosby is in the top 5 ever, only surpassed by the likes of Gretzky and them.

Now I realize I'm going to get flamed like no other because these are all legends and some people (for some reason) hate Crosby more than they hate Mondays, but I stand by what I said.

Crosby should be on Canada's all-time world team, no questions asked.

Now I'll just curl up into a little ball while the rest of you beat me up mercilessly until I die.

Edited by Nas19, 10 July 2012 - 02:24 PM.

#17 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,004 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:45 PM

No love for the Yankees... Hull, Chelios, Modano, Roenick etc?

Housely and Leetch made the Worlds teamHull as I said earlier should be there too-- which RW to replace is the only question?I tried to keep players at their natural positions which is why JR and Modano didn't make the cut. Can you honestly agree either of them are better then Larionov, Statsny, Foresberg, or even Datsyuk. I did even have to cheat a bit and put Federov at wing, but in my defence he has played wing before in the NHL.

#18 hockeyking

hockeyking

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:13 PM

depends if their playing on a NHL arena then team Canada if not then team world.

#19 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,376 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:32 PM

Have you ever built something up in your head before? For example have you ever built a person up in your mind to make them way more attractive then they actually are? Say a girl you used to know at high school. You remember thinking she was the hottest girl ever, yet when you see her a year later she doesn't seem that attractive, but her appearance hasn't changed at all. You built her up in your head so much that when you finally see her again, it's a let down. People seem to being doing that to legends now a days. For example let's take Gordie Howe. Did you know that Howe only ONCE broke the 100 point mark? He averaged around 70-80 points a year. Stan Mikita is another one. Mikita NEVER broke the 100 point mark and, just like Howe, averaged around 70-80 points a year.

No flaming for you... just debate! :)

Howe and Mikita didn't score 100 points per year during their era partly because they only played 70 games per season when both were in the primes of their careers.

Also, the NHL only consisted of 6 franchises in the 50's and 60's... the 120-ish best players in the world. After '67's expansion, there were more jobs every year, diluting the talent, until today where there are (50 contracts per team) 1500 players with 700-ish on active NHL rosters at a given time.

Combine diluted talent today with fewer games in the post-war / pre expansion era and you can see why players rarely scored 100 points in the "Original Six".

It's extremely difficult to compare players statistically across different eras with any real accuracy or validity.

Crosby is a stud, though, for sure, Nas19.

#20 Captain Aerosex

Captain Aerosex

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,620 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:14 PM

Canada's got a better all-around team, but the difference isn't too great and the World team would have prime Hasek in net.

If we're looking at it as in who has the better team, and by that logic wins the series, then Team Canada wins. But if this actually played out, I'd bet Team World wins from Hasek absolutely stealing games.
Posted Image

#21 King Heffy

King Heffy

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,699 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:56 PM

No flaming for you... just debate! :)

Howe and Mikita didn't score 100 points per year during their era partly because they only played 70 games per season when both were in the primes of their careers.

Also, the NHL only consisted of 6 franchises in the 50's and 60's... the 120-ish best players in the world. After '67's expansion, there were more jobs every year, diluting the talent, until today where there are (50 contracts per team) 1500 players with 700-ish on active NHL rosters at a given time.

Combine diluted talent today with fewer games in the post-war / pre expansion era and you can see why players rarely scored 100 points in the "Original Six".

It's extremely difficult to compare players statistically across different eras with any real accuracy or validity.

Crosby is a stud, though, for sure, Nas19.

And only 6 starting goalies means you arent getting any easy games.

Imagine having ONLY these goalies as starters:

Lundqvist
Quick
Rinne
Price
Miller
Elliot

Now try to put up decent stats.

o08j21.jpg

Thanks for the sig Twilight Sparkle

#22 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,186 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:02 PM

Canada's got a better all-around team, but the difference isn't too great and the World team would have prime Hasek in net.

If we're looking at it as in who has the better team, and by that logic wins the series, then Team Canada wins. But if this actually played out, I'd bet Team World wins from Hasek absolutely stealing games.

So Roy can't steal a game? :P
Posted ImagePosted Image
Special thanks to Guava & Egatti !

#23 *vInTaGe*

*vInTaGe*

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,408 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:54 PM

I wish I was around to see a lot of those guys play. I'm honored to have watched some of these all time greats.

Posted Image

#24 OrdinaryBoy

OrdinaryBoy

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:47 PM

What I wouldn't give to watch this play out.
If your lines are accurate (as in, Messier is better than Gainey is better than Sakic), both teams are absolutely stacked up front and on defence. I might nominate Chris Pronger for Team Canada's corps.

Tretiak, Broduer, Hasek and Roy are the four best goalies of all time, so can't draw too much of a distinction there.
I give the edge to Team Canada on strength of goaltending, just because Plante is a stronger goalie than Richter.

#25 Zamboni_14

Zamboni_14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:11 PM

who coaches the teams?

#26 Russ

Russ

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,348 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:18 AM

I know a lot of people are going to hate me for saying this but... Crosby is better than Messier and Yzerman. By the time Crosby's career is over (as long as it's not shortened due to injury problems) he will be considered one of the best to ever play the game. If he plays as many games as Gretzky did, at the pace Sid's going, he will amass over 2000 points in his career.

I'm not knocking Howe or Mikita. They're legends whose names will never be forgotten by hockey fans, I'm just trying to put things in perspective.

Howe and Mikita's impact on the game is greater than Crosby's but by the time Crosby's career is over he will have had a greater impact on the game than a lot of legends. Ovechkin had the potential to make a huge impact on the game as well but I don't know what happened to him.

People get skill and impact on the game mixed up. All the legends (Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr, Howe, Yzerman, Sakic etc.) have had a WAY bigger impact on the game of hockey then Crosby, BUT if you're going to go by skill Crosby is in the top 5 ever, only surpassed by the likes of Gretzky and them.

Now I realize I'm going to get flamed like no other because these are all legends and some people (for some reason) hate Crosby more than they hate Mondays, but I stand by what I said.

Crosby should be on Canada's all-time world team, no questions asked.

Now I'll just curl up into a little ball while the rest of you beat me up mercilessly until I die.

Yzerman was an amazing player but you also have to remember after the first couple years in the league, the Wings asked him to become more of a two-way player rather than a pure offensive threat so if you take that I would put him in the same league as Crosby.
Xbox Live - Lenerdosy
PSN - Lenerdosy

Interested in a game of NHL or BF3? Send me a friend request and lets play.

#27 Caboose

Caboose

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,606 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:51 AM

Worlds would demolish Canada.

Hasek is IMO the best goalie of all time.

f54xok.jpg

Vintage Canuck

#28 Captain Aerosex

Captain Aerosex

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,620 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:53 PM

So Roy can't steal a game? :P

Not like Hasek could ;)
Posted Image

#29 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,004 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:58 PM

Not like Hasek could ;)

yet which one nearly singly handly won a Stanley Cup for their team as a rookie?

#30 Zamboni_14

Zamboni_14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 07:55 AM

yet which one nearly singly handly won a Stanley Cup for their team as a rookie?

Frank Brimsek :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.