The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canada vs. the World- all time teams

Ok so its summer which means its time for fantasy type team threads right.  Out of boredom I put to together two teams of the all time best players post expansion era, one team representing players from Canada and another players from the rest of the world.  Out of these two teams if all players were able to magically come back and play in their prime who would win in a 7 game series?

Please feel free to comment on you think who would win, or post your own teams if you think I missed somebody.

Team Canada

L.Robitaille-W.Gretzky-G.Howe

B.Shannahan-M.Lemiuex-G.LaFleur

C.Neely-M.Messier-M.Bossy

B.Gainey-S.Yzerman-J.Ignila

extras: J. Sackic, P.Esposito, D. Ciccarelli, S. Crosby, G. Anderson

B.Orr-S.Stevens

R.Bourque-D.Harvey

L.Robinson-B.Park

extras: A. MacInnis,P.Coffey, S.Neidermayer  

P. Roy

M. Brodeur

extra: J. Plante

Team World

V.Kharlamov-I.Larionov-P.Bure

A.Mogilny-P.Statsny-J.Jagr

S.Federov-P.Datsyuk-J.Kurri

M.Naslund-P.Foresberg-T.Selanne

extras: M. Sundin, D. Sedin, H. Sedin, E. Malkin, A. Ovechkin

Festisov-Kasatonov

Lidstrom-Chara

Houseley-Leetch

extras: Zubov, Salming, Chelious

Hasek

Tretiak

extra: M.Richter

So what does everybody think?

Ok so its summer which means its time for fantasy type team threads right. Out of boredom I put to together two teams of the all time best players post expansion era, one team representing players from Canada and another players from the rest of the world. Out of these two teams if all players were able to magically come back and play in their prime who would win in a 7 game series?

Please feel free to comment on you think who would win, or post your own teams if you think I missed somebody.

Team Canada

L.Robitaille-W.Gretzky-M.Raymond

B.Shannahan-M.Lemiuex-G.LaFleur

C.Neely-M.Messier-M.Bossy

B.Gainey-S.Yzerman-J.Ignila

extras: J. Sackic, P.Esposito, D. Ciccarelli, S. Crosby, P. Kariya

B.Orr-S.Stevens

R.Bourque-D.Harvey

L.Robinson-B.Park

extras: A. MacInnis,P.Coffey, S.Neidermayer

P. Roy

M. Brodeur

extra: J. Plante

Team World

V.Kharlamov-I.Larionov-P.Bure

A.Mogilny-P.Statsny-J.Jagr

S.Federov-P.Datsyuk-J.Kurri

M.Naslund-P.Foresberg-T.Selanne

extras: M. Sundin, D. Sedin, H. Sedin, E. Malkin, A. Ovechkin

Festisov-Kasatonov

Lidstrom-Chara

Houseley-Leetch

extras: Zubov, Salming, Chelious

Hasek

Tretiak

extra: M.Richter

So what does everybody think?

Screw positions man, just plop in the best players and we are sure to win:

Richard-Gretzky-Howe

Bossy-Lemieux-Hull

Beliveau-Trottier-Esposito

Hawerchuk-Yzerman-Lafleur

*Delvecchio, Sakic

Orr-Bourque

Potvin-Robinson

Stevens-MacInnis

*Coffey, Niedermayer

Brodeur

Roy

*Dryden

Kurri should be an extra on the world team.

And how Brett Hull isn't on the team (for the world) let alone in the top 6 makes no sense to me.

- 741 goals (3rd all-time)

- 86 Goal season (Only Gretzky has had more in a single season)

- Lead the league in goals 3 straight years

- Two 50 goals in 50 games years (only Gretzky has had more)

- Three 70+ Goal season, Five 50+ Goal seasons.

He should be on it.

And Iginla wouldnt make that team Canada, no chance.

I would put Bobby Hull on it also.

There's too many more too go through.

Kurri should be an extra on the world team.

And how Brett Hull isn't on the team (for the world) let alone in the top 6 makes no sense to me.

- 741 goals (3rd all-time)

- 86 Goal season (Only Gretzky has had more in a single season)

- Lead the league in goals 3 straight years

- Two 50 goals in 50 games years (only Gretzky has had more)

- Three 70+ Goal season, Five 50+ Goal seasons.

He should be on it.

And Iginla wouldnt make that team Canada, I would put Bobby Hull on it also.

agree Hull should be on the team, his numbers are outstanding I just didn't know what team to put him on since he was born in Canada but played internationally for the US. I had a similar problem with Statsny but he was too good to ignore. disagree about Kurri being an extra though. He has 601 goals (18th all time), was more than a point per game, and was the highest ranking player from Northern Europe on hockey news all time greats.

I know a lot of people are going to hate me for saying this but... Crosby is better than Messier and Yzerman. By the time Crosby's career is over (as long as it's not shortened due to injury problems) he will be considered one of the best to ever play the game. If he plays as many games as Gretzky did, at the pace Sid's going, he will amass over 2000 points in his career.

Have you ever built something up in your head before? For example have you ever built a person up in your mind to make them way more attractive then they actually are? Say a girl you used to know at high school. You remember thinking she was the hottest girl ever, yet when you see her a year later she doesn't seem that attractive, but her appearance hasn't changed at all. You built her up in your head so much that when you finally see her again, it's a let down. People seem to being doing that to legends now a days. For example let's take Gordie Howe. Did you know that Howe only ONCE broke the 100 point mark? He averaged around 70-80 points a year. Stan Mikita is another one. Mikita NEVER broke the 100 point mark and, just like Howe, averaged around 70-80 points a year.

I'm not knocking Howe or Mikita. They're legends whose names will never be forgotten by hockey fans, I'm just trying to put things in perspective.

Howe and Mikita's impact on the game is greater than Crosby's but by the time Crosby's career is over he will have had a greater impact on the game than a lot of legends. Ovechkin had the potential to make a huge impact on the game as well but I don't know what happened to him.

People get skill and impact on the game mixed up. All the legends (Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr, Howe, Yzerman, Sakic etc.) have had a WAY bigger impact on the game of hockey then Crosby, BUT if you're going to go by skill Crosby is in the top 5 ever, only surpassed by the likes of Gretzky and them.

Now I realize I'm going to get flamed like no other because these are all legends and some people (for some reason) hate Crosby more than they hate Mondays, but I stand by what I said.

Crosby should be on Canada's all-time world team, no questions asked.

Now I'll just curl up into a little ball while the rest of you beat me up mercilessly until I die.

Have you ever built something up in your head before? For example have you ever built a person up in your mind to make them way more attractive then they actually are? Say a girl you used to know at high school. You remember thinking she was the hottest girl ever, yet when you see her a year later she doesn't seem that attractive, but her appearance hasn't changed at all. You built her up in your head so much that when you finally see her again, it's a let down. People seem to being doing that to legends now a days. For example let's take Gordie Howe. Did you know that Howe only ONCE broke the 100 point mark? He averaged around 70-80 points a year. Stan Mikita is another one. Mikita NEVER broke the 100 point mark and, just like Howe, averaged around 70-80 points a year.

Canada's got a better all-around team, but the difference isn't too great and the World team would have prime Hasek in net.

If we're looking at it as in who has the better team, and by that logic wins the series, then Team Canada wins. But if this actually played out, I'd bet Team World wins from Hasek absolutely stealing games.

Archived