The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canada vs. the World- all time teams

No flaming for you... just debate! :)

Howe and Mikita didn't score 100 points per year during their era partly because they only played 70 games per season when both were in the primes of their careers.

Also, the NHL only consisted of 6 franchises in the 50's and 60's... the 120-ish best players in the world. After '67's expansion, there were more jobs every year, diluting the talent, until today where there are (50 contracts per team) 1500 players with 700-ish on active NHL rosters at a given time.

Combine diluted talent today with fewer games in the post-war / pre expansion era and you can see why players rarely scored 100 points in the "Original Six".

It's extremely difficult to compare players statistically across different eras with any real accuracy or validity.

Crosby is a stud, though, for sure, Nas19.

:towel::canucks:

Canada's got a better all-around team, but the difference isn't too great and the World team would have prime Hasek in net.

If we're looking at it as in who has the better team, and by that logic wins the series, then Team Canada wins. But if this actually played out, I'd bet Team World wins from Hasek absolutely stealing games.

What I wouldn't give to watch this play out.

If your lines are accurate (as in, Messier is better than Gainey is better than Sakic), both teams are absolutely stacked up front and on defence. I might nominate Chris Pronger for Team Canada's corps.

Tretiak, Broduer, Hasek and Roy are the four best goalies of all time, so can't draw too much of a distinction there.

I give the edge to Team Canada on strength of goaltending, just because Plante is a stronger goalie than Richter.

I know a lot of people are going to hate me for saying this but... Crosby is better than Messier and Yzerman. By the time Crosby's career is over (as long as it's not shortened due to injury problems) he will be considered one of the best to ever play the game. If he plays as many games as Gretzky did, at the pace Sid's going, he will amass over 2000 points in his career.

Have you ever built something up in your head before? For example have you ever built a person up in your mind to make them way more attractive then they actually are? Say a girl you used to know at high school. You remember thinking she was the hottest girl ever, yet when you see her a year later she doesn't seem that attractive, but her appearance hasn't changed at all. You built her up in your head so much that when you finally see her again, it's a let down. People seem to being doing that to legends now a days. For example let's take Gordie Howe. Did you know that Howe only ONCE broke the 100 point mark? He averaged around 70-80 points a year. Stan Mikita is another one. Mikita NEVER broke the 100 point mark and, just like Howe, averaged around 70-80 points a year.

I'm not knocking Howe or Mikita. They're legends whose names will never be forgotten by hockey fans, I'm just trying to put things in perspective.

Howe and Mikita's impact on the game is greater than Crosby's but by the time Crosby's career is over he will have had a greater impact on the game than a lot of legends. Ovechkin had the potential to make a huge impact on the game as well but I don't know what happened to him.

People get skill and impact on the game mixed up. All the legends (Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr, Howe, Yzerman, Sakic etc.) have had a WAY bigger impact on the game of hockey then Crosby, BUT if you're going to go by skill Crosby is in the top 5 ever, only surpassed by the likes of Gretzky and them.

Now I realize I'm going to get flamed like no other because these are all legends and some people (for some reason) hate Crosby more than they hate Mondays, but I stand by what I said.

Crosby should be on Canada's all-time world team, no questions asked.

Now I'll just curl up into a little ball while the rest of you beat me up mercilessly until I die.

Man, what a hell of a game that would be.

I'd say in a 7 game series, it could really go either way, but with everyone playing at their best in their primes..... Canada wins.

The numbers Gretz, Lemieux put up in single seasons were just redonk.

Hasek in his absolute prime is probably the best goalie of all time, but Roy in his prime was close to being as good.

It would also be important to know what kind of ice they'd be playing on, NHL-size or international?

I know a lot of people are going to hate me for saying this but... Crosby is better than Messier and Yzerman. By the time Crosby's career is over (as long as it's not shortened due to injury problems) he will be considered one of the best to ever play the game. If he plays as many games as Gretzky did, at the pace Sid's going, he will amass over 2000 points in his career.

Have you ever built something up in your head before? For example have you ever built a person up in your mind to make them way more attractive then they actually are? Say a girl you used to know at high school. You remember thinking she was the hottest girl ever, yet when you see her a year later she doesn't seem that attractive, but her appearance hasn't changed at all. You built her up in your head so much that when you finally see her again, it's a let down. People seem to being doing that to legends now a days. For example let's take Gordie Howe. Did you know that Howe only ONCE broke the 100 point mark? He averaged around 70-80 points a year. Stan Mikita is another one. Mikita NEVER broke the 100 point mark and, just like Howe, averaged around 70-80 points a year.

I'm not knocking Howe or Mikita. They're legends whose names will never be forgotten by hockey fans, I'm just trying to put things in perspective.

Howe and Mikita's impact on the game is greater than Crosby's but by the time Crosby's career is over he will have had a greater impact on the game than a lot of legends. Ovechkin had the potential to make a huge impact on the game as well but I don't know what happened to him.

People get skill and impact on the game mixed up. All the legends (Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr, Howe, Yzerman, Sakic etc.) have had a WAY bigger impact on the game of hockey then Crosby, BUT if you're going to go by skill Crosby is in the top 5 ever, only surpassed by the likes of Gretzky and them.

Now I realize I'm going to get flamed like no other because these are all legends and some people (for some reason) hate Crosby more than they hate Mondays, but I stand by what I said.

Crosby should be on Canada's all-time world team, no questions asked.

Now I'll just curl up into a little ball while the rest of you beat me up mercilessly until I die.

Archived