The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

IF we signed Doan then where would Raymond fit?

Junkyard Dog

Can't we just get rid of Kassian and keep Ray? Kassian may seem promising to some people (and I'm not saying hes a bust) but Raymond needs and I would say deserves another season to get back to 100% He's givin alot to this Organization and he can be a good energy for the 3rd line

Raymond is a waste of space on the 3rd or 4th line!!!!

Typically on an NHL roster your first 2 lines are considered your scoring lines. The 3rd line is your checking line which matches up with the opposing teams scoring line and the 4th line is an energy line, playing around 10 minutes a game.

Raymond does not hit! He is not very effective at checking and shutting down other teams top players in a shut-down role! the 4th line needs to throw the body every chance they get. Raymond does not hit!

He should not be playing on the top 6 and will not be very effective on the bottom 6.

TRADE HIM MG!!!

Am I ever glad you're not the GM.

:picard:

One of the stupidest posts I've seen in a while. Why the frack would you ever "get rid" of Kassian, when he can could develop another year in Chicago?

Truthfully, IF we get Shane Doan, Raymond will have to be moved. Honestly, I think Raymond should be moved regardless, not because Raymond is a bad teammate or player, but just because he's not a good fir for us here in Vancouver.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Booth-Kesler-Doan

Higgins-Malhotra-Hansen

Volpatti/Pinnizotto-Lapierre-Kassian (maybe Weise)

Raymond fits nowhere in that lineup, whatsoever. He isn't good enough to bump anyone from the top 6, nor is he a big enough for the third line or a better checker than anyone on that line. Raymond is also not a 4-line player.

He needs to go to a team that can use him in their top 6, it's really as simple as that.

I truly believe that Raymond is going to have to redefine himself as a bottom 6 forward if he wants to have a long NHL career. Either that or be happy being a top 6 forward on really bad teams.

With or without Doan, I don't see him playing much top 6 minutes going forward. Guys like Higgins, Kassian, Hansen and Lapierre should be given the minutes over him. It's up to Mason if he wants to fit on a good time as a bottom 6, penalty killing forward. Maybe even the 5-7 even strength minutes 4th liners usually see.

From what I've heard about Raymond off-the-ice, he's the type of character guy I'd want on a team of character guys. Sadly, his on-ice performance has left everyone wanting, at least since his injury. This is entirely understandable to me, but we have high expectations and demands on this team here in Vancouver, so there's constantly a lot of pressure on him to get back to 25 goals/season form. Sure, I've been frustated at times watching him give up the puck easily or just fall over, but I try to remember that this human being has limitations and that last season he was recovering from a very serious injury. But that was last season...

This season, after a full off-season of training, I'm hoping to see a refreshed, healthy and hungry Mason Raymond, out there proving the negative-fans wrong, and doing his own skill-set justice.

Having Doan on the team would be awesome, but I've learned not to hold my breath about these things (remember Schultz?). In where Doan is on the team and everyone healthy, then sure Raymond could end up on the 3rd or 4th line, that just makes sense. For me, in that specific circumstance, I'd rather him on the 4th line because the 3rd line could be a solid, defensive grinding line. The 4th line could be the surprise attack. Imagine a line that's fast, hits hard, and would force the other team to reconsider matching their 4th line against? Raymond-Malthotra/Lapierre-Kassian/Weise/Volpatti could bring that to the table (more Lappy than Manny, but Lappy may play himself onto the 3rd line).

Doan or not, I don't want to see Raymond on the 2nd line. I like the AMEX line. Or I'd hope MG gets a better 2nd line winger for Kes.

I actually would rather not see Raymond on the team at all... but... that's a different topic :)

I truly believe that Raymond is going to have to redefine himself as a bottom 6 forward if he wants to have a long NHL career. Either that or be happy being a top 6 forward on really bad teams.

With or without Doan, I don't see him playing much top 6 minutes going forward. Guys like Higgins, Kassian, Hansen and Lapierre should be given the minutes over him. It's up to Mason if he wants to fit on a good time as a bottom 6, penalty killing forward. Maybe even the 5-7 even strength minutes 4th liners usually see.

For me, Raymond is a fast player that is good defensively and has the potential to do good on offense - but I just don't think he would fit anywhere on the Canucks. If the Canucks signed Doan, this is a line-up I would like to see:

Daniel-Henrik-Doan

Booth-Kesler-Burrows

Higgins-Malholtra-Hansen

Volpatti-Lapierre-Kassian

I would like to see Schroeder in the line-up at the start of the season, as well as Jensen. I'm not sure if either of those things will happen though.

If we don't sign Doan, and with Kesler out:

Daniel-Henrik-Burrows

Booth-Lapierre-Jensen

Higgins-Schroeder-Hansen

Volpatti-Malholtra-Kassian

Archived