The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Children’s OxyContin Trial Underway

DarthNinja

Actually, I believe the current issue is testing Oxy on children, which will in turn allow them to maintain their exclusive patent on the drug from generic competitors for another six months (=$1.4 billion in revenue). A business decision as opposed to a medical one.

Well, apparently BB has a medical degree and thinks children are immune to the addictiveness of the drug. I'll simply disagree given that it's obvious this hooks full grown men quite easily.

In before a hasty and probably arrogant reply from you know who.

How do you think they treat childhood diseases such as cancer? They drip poison into the arms of children in an attempt to kill cancer cells. How did they originally test childhood cancer drugs after the lab rats? On children. There are hundreds of thousands of adults alive today because that happened. Adults who have gone on to live healthy and productive lives and make huge discoveries in the advancement of medical treatments. Do you honestly think that the drug trials going on now are giving children adult doses of oxycontin? As I stated earlier, it is a well-known fact in medical circles that children sometimes react differently to adult drugs, that their bodies break down and process certain drugs differently.

All these drugs just mask the effects but don't cure the cause. I'd rather cure the cause then mask the symptoms of the cause. Besides, I'd never take a narcotic-analgesic because of the tolerance and dependence side effect. If am in pain, I will take non-narcotic analgesic which even though has bad side-effects like ulcer, it is still safer than narcotic-analgesic although less potent. You don't need to give a smart ass remark about my post, because I know all about these drugs and have taken pharmacology courses that explain how these drugs essentially work. Small children and especially toddlers have immature kidneys and liver, thus they might not be able to completely break down these dangerous drug in the body and in some case could cause toxicity (in overdosing).

I have also worked for the big pharma, so I know they are really in it for making money and setting their budget for future years. They don't really care about long-term effects, but mainly study the short-term effects of drugs in the clinical phase. As long as they get their share of money after FDA approval, they wouldn't give a rats ass anymore about the approved drug until the patent expires and they come up with extensions and spin-off drugs.

Yeah, I don't really like it when people discuss something they don't really know nothing about. Unless Bertuzzi Babe has an MD, or PharmD or has taken some pharmacology courses and has worked in the big pharma, she shouldn't be misleading other people. There are other alternatives to treat pain other than taking narcotic-analgesic such as oxycodone.

That isn't relevant to this discussion. You are talking about a totally different thing, where the last alternative treatment might be chemotherapy. While this discussion is about kids taking oxycodone when in pain. There are other medicinal and non-medicinal alternative to pain management. Treating cancer and treating pain are two very different subjects.

I most emphatically agree that one should exhaust all other means before resorting to heavy duty drugs for children. But sometimes, you have to go there even though you'd rather not.

I'm sorry to hear about your mom but I'm glad there were drugs available that were able to relieve her pain. Nobody should have to suffer needlessly.

If the potential side effects are easier to tolerate than the pain the kids have to go through on a daily basis, then I can't see why people are against it.

There are plenty of treatments with horrible side effects that are given to people in the world already, such as chemotherapy, but the fact is, compared to the pain before the treatment, the after effects are easier to tolerate.

I'm sure there are more suitable options out there, many of these pain killers are extremely dangerous for full grown adults (look at Derek Boogaard as an example), but if it can ease there pain and make their lives easier to live, then who are we to say that they shouldn't at least have it available as an option?

I had an operation last year to fix a badly broken bone at St. Paul's and was given a week's worth of Oxycontin. It just made me feel blank and numb. Not the sort of feeling I would want to have again, unless I experienced serious pain. I'm a little curious how one would grow to be addicted to oxy, but like a previous poster said it can happen as an escalation from other drugs.

I think trials like this can be beneficial but I would proceed with caution. Sure making a child who lives in pain more comfortable is important but at what cost? There are probably some other side effects of such a powerful drug that would be less welcome.

How do I know you really are a doctor? Also, if you are a doctor, shouldn't you be working and doing more important stuff than being on CDC at this time of day? Also there are 2nd and 3rd opinions, so your opinion might not be taken as the first therapeutic choice.

Also for Neuropathic pain (infections, chronic disease, etc.) the first treatment of choice is usually carbamazepine (tegretol), Gaba analogues, Tricyclic antidepressants and local anaesthetics not narcotic analgesic. Narcotic analgesic are just potent pain relievers for nociceptive pain (inflammation, arthritis, low back pain, headache etc.) but are not as effective for managing neuropathic pain, so you are wrong DOCTOR. Maybe you should ask a pharmacist next time how these drugs really work.

This drug is incredibly dangerous. My brother started smoking weed (gateway drug, regardless of what anyone says) and doing Oxy, partially because he's an idiot and couldn't say 'no' to his moron friends on several occasions. Then moved onto heroin and cocaine shortly after because those highs didn't satisfy him anymore, I guess.

But he's doing better now, sort of.

So I give you facts about other alternative drugs that can treat chronic pain and this is your reply to my post? Instead of intelligently acknowledging my post and discussing it in a mature manner, I get one line comebacks that can be considered offensive. Do you think Oxy is the only drug for managing severe pain? If it is that great, then why not make it an OTC drug and remove it from the Narcotic classification. There is a reason why these short term drugs are monitored heavily by the federal government and are entered in the narcotic and controlled registry. Hydromorphone extended and oxycontin should not be given to children, even if big pharma approves it as safe for use in pediatrics. But maybe next time I will come to you if I have severe pain, since I could get a prescription for Oxy.

YOU. OBVIOUSLY. HAVE. NOT. READ. MY. ON. TOPIC. POSTS. IN. THIS. THREAD.

You really should, you wouldn't come off looking so ridiculously foolish in your assumptions and comments. Reading comprehension is obviously not your forte.

You need to stop putting words in my mouth that I did not say and then going off on ridiculous tangents about them. It does not serve you well.

And hun, if I wanted to get offensive with you, you'd know it. There would be absolutely no mistaking it.

Out of all the back and forth bickering with other posters and posts where you said to "look at my original post", I found only this post which I already had replied to:

In that post you never really clarified that you would be against this particular drug or against use of narcotic-analgesic to treat chronic pain. You only discussed that you are torn between using a product (pain killer) from big pharma (which I would just assume is the Oxycontin) that can help small children to manage chronic pain and not giving money to big pharma. While my posts discusses use of any dangerous narcotics like OxyContin for managing nueropathic pain when its not that effective for chronic pain. You only said how kids might be sensitive to these drugs but from your posts, it seems that you wouldn't hesitate to use it.

Maybe you should edit your "on topic" post if you want people to know where exactly your stance is on the use of oxycontin. After all, this is an article about Oxycontin not general painkillers.

Archived