The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Children’s OxyContin Trial Underway

DarthNinja

Tramadol or Zytram is still a narcotic analgesic as it is derived from opium (opiates) but it is weaker than oxycodone and is a non-selective pure agonist at mu, kappa and delta opioid receptor and is a centrally acting analgesic. So it is a little less harmful than OxyCodone and other opioid drugs as it has less effect on respiratory and cardiovascular function at the therapeutic level. I would say for non-narcotic analgesic use Lyrica (pregabalin), Aspirin, Advil or Acetaminophen (only useful for nociceptive pain). If you have chronic pain, use TCA (Elavil, Aventyl) or anticonvulsant agents (Gabapentin) or even SSI (Paxil, Zoloft, Celexa). Although, obviously consult your physician about the use of these drugs because of possible drug interactions and drug allergies.

Actually I believe the issue is why they didnt complete the testing when the FDA requested it be done over a decade ago.

Oxy has been prescribed by doctors to minors without the benefits of a study.

Original posts in this thread were focussed on the giving of a narcotic to children as inherently bad. Thus distorting "the issue".

BB addressed this in her posts.

There's nothing really ban-worthy going on in this thread, (sorry to burst your bubble GLASSJAW ;)) but it has gotten out of hand.

BB wasn't advocating giving Oxys to kids with a headache. She was saying that it could possibly be an alternative in extreme cases. It shouldn't have been so hard to pick that up from her original post.

As usual, the holier than though CDC crowd had to jump all over what they considered to be a lack of ethics, but what was really more of a case of not immediately jumping to a conclusion.

There's nothing really ban-worthy going on in this thread, (sorry to burst your bubble GLASSJAW ;)) but it has gotten out of hand.

BB wasn't advocating giving Oxys to kids with a headache. She was saying that it could possibly be an alternative in extreme cases. It shouldn't have been so hard to pick that up from her original post.

As usual, the holier than though CDC crowd had to jump all over what they considered to be a lack of ethics, but what was really more of a case of not immediately jumping to a conclusion.

I don't think her standpoint is unreasonable and in all honesty I don't doubt that her intentions are good, even if I may not agree (though there are far less harmful and dangerous options than Oxy available for absolute dire circumstances) but this has nothing to do with the issue at hand. Most people have never taken Oxy so it is difficult for them to comprehend. MST (Morphine Sulfate) for example is in the same narcotic class as OxyContin. It is comparable to Oxy as an opioid analgesic however; the effects of Oxy is far worse and incomparable. Anyone who has taken both will easily attest to this.  

And again, are we considering that Purdue has declared no intention of marketing or producing Oxy for children or for pediatric use and is utilizing this as a ploy in order to extend their exclusive patent on Oxy?

In my opinion, this is rather blatantly obvious as opposed to not so hard to pick up.

Ugh.. it's not a gateway drug. If you've been lied to about it's effects you may start to question the information you've been given about other drugs, but marijuana doesn't directly lead to other stuff. People start with it because it's easy to obtain, and even then chances are they actually started with alcohol...

For every report I can find saying it's not a gateway drug, I can find one saying it is. Back in the day at school, you're always taught that it is proceeded by videos and lectures of harder drugs and how they mess you up; perhaps just a scare tactic- then again don't believe everything you hear. But based on experience (a stupid sibling, people I know of that went on to harder things), I would say that it can be.

For every report I can find saying it's not a gateway drug, I can find one saying it is. Back in the day at school, you're always taught that it is proceeded by videos and lectures of harder drugs and how they mess you up; perhaps just a scare tactic- then again don't believe everything you hear. But based on experience (a stupid sibling, people I know of that went on to harder things), I would say that it can be.

While I would be hesitant to seek medical advice on medication and painkiller recommendations from individuals on a board like this; Tramadol is considered an opioid narcotic that is similar to codeine yet weaker. It is a Schedule F prescription drug in Canada but is not considered a 'Controlled Substance' (though some nations and US states have given Tramadol this classification).

But for a twisted ankle I would say try to tough it out unless the pain becomes unbearable. Always better not to put that kind of stuff into your body if you can do without it.

Yeah, I don't really like it when people discuss something they don't really know nothing about. Unless Bertuzzi Babe has an MD, or PharmD or has taken some pharmacology courses and has worked in the big pharma, she shouldn't be misleading other people. There are other alternatives to treat pain other than taking narcotic-analgesic such as oxycodone.

Any narcotic or intoxicating substance when used recreationally or abused (be it alcohol, marijuana or pills) can have the potential to be a gateway drug, to something harder and stronger. I believe that illicit drugs (including minors consuming alcohol) carry far more risk in this regard since one must enter the 'gateway' into an illegal and unlawful realm.

I'm a pharmacy student at UBC who's working on rolling out OxyNEO (the new "less potential for abuse" oxycontin) for VIHA this summer. I'm not an expert yet, but I can tell you that everyone who is attacking Bertuzzi Babe is missing the point entirely. And I'm seeing a few familiar faces from the anti-vaccination thread so that doesn't really surprise me.

Pain management is one of the most complicated areas of medicine right now, and it's doubly difficult in young children. Adding any proven medications to our arsenal could be a big help. And oxycodone is never going to be a 1st line treatment. It's for cases where other, less problematic medications, aren't working. And I can guarantee that if oxycodone becomes indicated for analgesia in children it's going to be very tightly regulated. Nobody is going to be handing out bottles of oxy to kids.

Correct sir. But recent research has proven certain people more SUSCEPTIBLE to drug addiction--which would make sniffing glue just as risky to a certain type of person as smoking weed or drinking booze.

Any drug can be the gateway to drug abuse, depending on who you are and what genes you have in you.

Archived