The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Children’s OxyContin Trial Underway

DarthNinja

First off, opioid use improves the quality of life of millions of people every year. Try telling a a post-operative patient or a palliative patient that opioids have no use. You should thank frack that you never had a reason to need them instead of condemning those who do. "This stuff...should never be taken by anyone" is just such a ridiculously ignorant comment.

And are you accusing physicians of taking kickbacks from Purdue? Do you actually know any physicians? I'm not saying that that kind of stuff never happens, but it's rare when it does.

And that's the complete opposite of what's happening now. Did you even listen to that idiotic Ron Paul clip you posted? Drugs can take decades to get to market because of all the rigorous testing they have to undergo. If you had ever read an actual drug study, you'd know that companies very rarely fudge the stats. They create misleading abstracts by cherry-picking statistics which back up their claims, but they can't claim anything about a medication which hasn't been proven.

You just don't know what you're talking about at all.

My comment of a three year old on OxyContin was quite obviously making reference to the intellectual level and ignorance of your responses as well as your behaviour in general (^^ this here a fitting example that is par for the course).

The fact that I must explicitly point this out to you is funny, sad and quite frankly not at all surprising.

I'm sure for people with severe pain opiates would be necessary, but I'd imagine the vast majority of people hopped up on pain meds would only require marijuana to do the job. You don't need to be a scientist to figure out that natural is healthier then synthetic.

But guess why these people don't. Because Big Pharma, in corrupt collusion with Big Gov, have demonized and criminalized it since the time they realized it would hurt their bottom line. So now its illegal and you'll go to jail with it (in the states), so what are these millions of people supposed to do? They have no choice in the matter. Their only choice is how many and how strong? It makes me sick.

And saying that physicians don't take bribes is an ignorant thing to say. Why have there been so many whistler blowers come forward admitting to it and knowing it happens on a mass scale. Why did GSK just plead guilty to doing it? Why do they go to court over laws requiring them to make "gifts" public record? Why would they do that if it was "rare"? It's not rare, because either you accept them, or you're a whistle blower. And if you're a whistle blower you're a "nutjob", ignored and marginalized by the likes of you and mass media.

Rarely fudge the stats? Jesus Christ, GSK just pleaded guilty for fudging the stats for 45 F@#&ing years. Get your head out of you know where. I know exactly what I'm talking about, because I reference facts. All you claim is "likely very rare" and "99.99% this and that", give it a rest.

So in your feigning intellectual superiority you didn't overlook the fact that I ignored the personal attack portion of your post to steer the discussion back toward the topic? Oh wait, you did. Common sense and humility? This is like trying to talk sense into my 9 month old.

There is a whole lot you ignore on a regular basis, including reality and more often than not you resort to immature, nonsensical and childish behaviour. ^^ says the individual who habitually steers the discussion into a playground. Shouldn't you be rubbing off on your 9 month old instead of the other way around?

And 'common sense' hehe?...common with whom...with you? Humility...you?

I can also cite a murder and turn around to suggest every street corner is murder city with the same type of embellished logic.

- It's established that government cannot be trusted.

- It's established that the pharmaceutical industry wants to profit.

- It's established that marijuana being illegal is ridiculous.

- It's established that when money gets involved in political interests money tends to bring clout.

Nonetheless, relating to your post at hand, while certainly there will be doctors, physicians, etc. who will abuse the privilege of writing prescriptions, they are not only making themselves liable in doing so, this is also a select few, it is more than likely with adults being complicit with such abuses (for example, oxy abuse in adults and teenagers), and I'm pretty sure any semi-educated parent would raise an issue with their child being prescribed a children's strength oxy for, say, a scraped knee. But then again, this is common sense speaking, it will go ignored.

Just to point out, if you're so confidently sure of how strong marijuana is, you should go to the UCSFMC that helped my sister beat leukemia after 20 years of fighting it and point out how marijuana and au naturale would have helped her manage pain better than the painkillers she was prescribed throughout her childhood. To call what you're doing backseat driving on a trip is an understatement. If anyone important ever listened to you, we'd be screwed.

While I'm well aware of the human element and capitalist element of the pharmaceutical industry and how potentially permeable prescription writing humans can be, in the end, they have far more positive results than you do, or your magic cure hypothesis. I go with those who produce results rather than drum up paranoia and offer up little to nothing more than internet conspiracies.

Not unless there's only 10 street corners. What a retarded comparison.

Purdue is the one making Oxy, they're also the ones cited as making sure they don't need to release their bribes to the public. To just pass this off as nothing, and then make claims that "it's only a few" is ridiculous. Then all you need to do is look at the GSK case and see that they bribe on a massive scale, from millions of dollars, to exotic trips, etc. Listen to whistle blower testimony if you need more facts.

I'm not saying that the drugs don't work, I'm saying they're dangerous, potentially lethal and Marijuana is a safe and effective alternative.

I think these guys might know a bit more then you or your sister...

http://www.nowpublic...ymphoma-society

I can also cite a murder and turn around to suggest every street corner is murder city with the same type of embellished logic.

- It's established that government cannot be trusted. - yet you trust in them and believe in them and anything less is a 'nutcase conspiracy dogcrap'.

- It's established that the pharmaceutical industry wants to profit. - yet you trust in them and believe in them and anything less is a 'nutcase conspiracy dogcrap'

- It's established that marijuana being illegal is ridiculous.

- It's established that when money gets involved in political interests money tends to bring clout. - but bringing to light and discussing the ramifications and consequences of that clout is 'nutcase internet conspiracy dogcrap' and nothing less.

Rather disingenuous!

But how do you know it is a 'select few' and how would you know that pharmaceutical companies are not utilizing their 'clout' from their 'profits'? Because you refuse to face facts. You are fixated on the doctors when in fact it is the pharmaceutical companies doing the bribing and fraud.

GSK was fined $3 billion for bribing doctors recently. Bristol-Meyers Squibb Co. also recently faced another lawsuit for bribing doctors (they had to pay $515 million last time around) and they didn't even bother going after the doctors in the lawsuit. TAP faced a bribery lawsuit after already having paid out $875mil in a previous lawsuit. But you will have people believe that these facts and all the reports from whistleblowers within the industry are just 'dogcrap internet conspiracies'.

And you talk about Oxy for children with scraped knees? This entire story has nothing to do with Oxy being formulated or even considered for pediatric use. Perhaps you missed the part where Purdue admitted and acknowledged this.

Nobody here is suggesting the eradication of pain medication...do you even have a clue what you are arguing against?

Perhaps (once again) you missed the part where he clearly stated that opioids would be necessary for someone who is in extreme pain? If you want to play the family cancer card, I'm pretty sure I could one up you (or perhaps even two or three up you). But the fact that you pulled this card out without even paying attention to his post is unfortunate.

By the way, have you heard of the studies that show that THC actually destroys leukemia cells?

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/16908594

http://bloodjournal....105/3/1214.full

But STOP! Even if it kills cancer cells, marijuana is a Schedule I narcotic, we can't give people that or research this any further...let's give them OxyContin and Morphine instead!

With all due respect, I don't believe you are aware at all.

If chemical is best, go ingest some hydrochloric acid or strychnine...now can you see how ludicrous that argument is (I really, truly hope your answer is yes)?

Archived