The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Schroeder is going to surprise a lot of ppl this year

Jordan Schroeder

anyones guess really.

last i heard from mactavish, is that he though he could play in the nhl full time. that his defensive game has come around in a hurry, and that he plays with smarts.

it really comes down to which role needs to be filled.

if its a skill role, than yeah, I think he can play, but if its a shutdown grinding role, im not so sure he fits.

I have no doubt that Jordan Schroeder will make the team to start the season and I feel like he'll surprise a lot of people/doubters. I expect him to play the Cody Hodgson role of last season, before he got traded, and do just as well if not better.

I feel that people tend to focus on his size as a deterent from him being a NHL player but forget that in his draft year, many people believed his skillset was that of a top 5 pick. This kid has some real dynamic skill that can translate to the NHL. He has been developed properly the last 2 years in the AHL and has learned to play a reliable 2 way game.

Our team severely lacks playmakers outside of the Sedin twins and one of his strongest assets is his vision and passing abilities. I think you'll see him on the 2nd unit PP much like Hodgson and be effective.

I think in terms of skillsets, he is on par with a guy like Cody Hodgson. But he is a much stronger skater in all facets.

Tons of small players in the NHL have been successful. No reason why Schroeder can't if given a fair shake.

Schroeder last season at age 21 - 21 goals, 23 assists, 44 points, +8 in 76 games

Hodgson two seasons ago age21 - 25 goals 19 assists. 44 points, -18 projected over 76 games (played 52).

Very comparable scoring - but obviously a +26 differential for Schroeder - who is faster, plays with more grit, and is evidently a better two way player. Schroeder may not have insane scoring numbers, but he was playing on a modest scoring line.

I agree with the OP - I like his game and think he is every bit as ready as Hodgson was to play a solid role with the Canucks - particularly playing with solid two-way linemates like Higgins and Hansen. His speed, better two-way play, (and imo favourable intangibles relative to Hodgson) might make him a much better linemate to play with those guys - and no one will be expecting Schroeder to be the next captain of the Vancouver Canucks...

Faster than Hodgson? Yes.

Stronger? Hmmm...

Hodgson could take a hit along the boards and keep the puck. I've yet to see Schroeder do that. Sure, he can avoid the boards against huge defenders, but the Canucks use the boards a lot in their system.

If Schroeder succeeds quickly, it will happen because of a season-start lull by our opposition combined with a low qualcomp. If he maintains any sortof success this season, esp against decent competition, then i'll be happily surprised. Worthy of another bow down to Gillis.

Zach Parise scored just 18 goals in 1 full AHL season after scoring 23 in 37 games in NCAA.

David Clarkson scored 13 then 20 goals in his 2 full seasons, but scored 30 last year in the NHL.

Brooks Laich scored just 32 goals 134 AHL games over 3 seasons.

Even Alex Burrows only had 9 goals in 72 games in his only full AHL season.

yes - players production in the AHL doesn't determine their ceiling - sometimes they excel faster with NHL talent beside them, sometimes they play on AHL teams with linemates who don't suit their game, sometimes they are late bloomers, etc - people seem to think there is a cookie cutter for success at the NHL level - not so.

HF talent analysis from two years ago...

"At 5’9/180, Schroeder isnt' the biggest freshman in stature, but he may be the most complete. Schroeder is a highly intelligent player that thinks and understands the game exceedingly well. He possesses excellent vision, awareness, and knows where plays will end up. He is instinctive and creative. Schroeder has the ability to make players around him better and his infectious enthusiasm and passion for the game is difficult to miss.

While some may feel that Schroeder’s lack of size could hinder his chances of being a top ten selection at the upcoming NHL Entry Draft, he has proven time and again that he is more than capable of competing against bigger and stronger players. Schroeder is remarkably strong on his skates and while he is still growing into his body, the strength that he now has he uses to great advantage. This can be seen in areas such as protecting the puck and his play along the boards. Schroeder has also demonstrated that he can handle the physically punishing aspects of the game as well. "

Schroeder's AHL numbers might just be irrelevant to what his performance in the NHL could be. It maybe that the AHL just isn't for Schroeder. You never know, he might come into the NHL and rip it up. As other posters have said too, Hodgson didn't do that great in the AHL and look how good he turned out in his first year here.

Well "surprise" depends on expectations. What are people expecting? Let's say he plays a full season getting 13-15 minutes a game. What's a surprisingly good season for him? I would say 50 points and everyone's stoked. Schroeder played a lot of defensive minutes with the Wolves and during second half of the season was close to a ppg player. I think it's doable for Schredder.

Archived