The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Schroeder is going to surprise a lot of ppl this year

Jordan Schroeder

Why compare Schroeder to anyone else? Hodgson's a completely different player. Some players put up big numbers in the AHL and never pan out in the NHL. Some players put up "lesser" numbers in the AHL, but become stars in the NHL. Most fall somewhere in between.

What I do know is I liked what I saw of him at the World Juniors in Saskatoon a couple years back. He looked to be the type of player who could develop into a regular NHL'er - he had the compete level, the sense to be in the right place at the right time, some obvious skill, and was a good skater - the question at that age is always how good of an NHL'er can they become?

Having lived in Edmonton for a while, MacTavish is definitely a coach who doesn't shy away from working to develop players who can skate and are willing to work hard to ensure they develop a complete NHL game - even if it is at the sacrifice of their offensive statistics. As a result, I wouldn't read too much into JS's AHL stats, and focus instead on the fact that at some point, we'll have a guy who will be able to play in the NHL. I mean look at the Moose's roster from the 2004-05 lockout season and tell me where the top scorers (Peter Sarno and Lee Goren) are now? Meanwhile, we had other guys focused on developing their game who have become key parts of the Canucks (Kesler, Burrows, Bieksa).

I do agree that with smaller players, the time to develop into NHL'ers is usually longer. As great as it would be if JS could jump in and contribute to the Canucks next year, one (or) more year of development in the AHL has certainly not hurt many players.

Schroeder has to play in the Top 6 and put up points in order to have a place in the NHL. Maybe a undersized 3rd line center like Wellwood... But in an 82 game season i would need him to put up 30 points to validate a first year roster spot

I would take issue with a number of your comments.

1. Top 5 - Why hasn't he made the team? Well 2 reasons, first being no room (don't forget Hodgson only got his real shot last year) and was playing 3rd line minutes. Secondly, perhaps the issues with CoHo were known well before the season and its pretty obvious they were, thus the strategy to play him in certain spots and showcase to move him.

2. Schroeder had a solid camp last year if you recall and there were some calling for him to make the team. CoHo's political issues may have been the cause of his selection, no one knows.

3. As good as CoHo? Firstly, I was a huge CoHo fan when he was in Junior then we drafted him and was estatic. However, his play in Vancouver as we all know now was based on 'selective' ice time, to show what he could do offensively without showing the defensive warts. If you look at his play in Buffalo, where he got real 2nd line time, he wasn't so great, he certainly isn't ready to be a "Star" in the NHL.

4. Schroeder is known as a great playmaker, was terrific in the World Juniors and thats why many were estatic that we had two great young centers to take over from Henrik and Kesler. Smaller but talented. Well Schroeder was seen as the number one due to his offensive talents, speed, and strength. He is faster, stronger and just as/if not more skilled that Hodgson.

5. Time in the minors to develop his defensive game, without pressure typically helps players. Kelser, Burrows, Bieksa, on and on did it. It is not a sign of not good, its a sign he needed to develop facets of his game. Likely CoHo would have been doing the same had there not been politics involved and the need to showcase and move.

So completely disagree with your view. Time will tell but I wouldn't be surprised to see JS score more points in the NHL than CoHo, not just because of talent, but because of attitude.

can't wait to see him get a shot; whether he does well or not is another story...

hoping he could become a Briere/ Giroux/ Pavelski/ Gionta-type... heard people mention Parise? (of course keeping my hopes low, don't think it's wise to over-hype another rookie (though Cody did perform well in his time here once he got used to it, so best wishes to Jordan).

From what I've seen so far its debatable if Schroeder will top Hodgsons numbers, pre-trade, if he does great, but it depends on who hes playing with. I've noticed with Jordan Schroeder that he plays a lot better with better players. Hodgson had a few chances mind you, its a small sample size, with the 2nd line and he struggled a bit. What made Hodgson good was no matter who he played with ...he can produce. To get to the point, Schroeder can put up the numbers when hes the supporting player ..while Hodgson can carry a line with lesser likes..I mean geez, Malhotra and Ebbetts most offensive stretches came with Hodgson being their pivot

I agree with everything, except you missed one:

Score a goal against your former team while finally being premoted to the 2nd line from the 4th in favour of Raymond. Next game finds his way back to the 4th, while Raymond Basks in the glory of undeserved top 6 minutes -----------> Zack Kassian.

Hopefully AV will give Schroeder a fair chance.

The problem with Schroeder is that MG and all fanboys here are hoping for the second coming of St.Louis. The reality is, there are almost no other Martin St.Louis.

He is under sized (see Steve Kariya) and he is NOT a game changer. Unfortunately, I see a career minor leaguer. I really hope I am wrong, but I just don't see it...

PS: I have watched a lot of Jordan, he is fast and skilled at the AHL level.

can't wait to see him get a shot; whether he does well or not is another story...

hoping he could become a Briere/ Giroux/ Pavelski/ Gionta-type... heard people mention Parise? (of course keeping my hopes low, don't think it's wise to over-hype another rookie (though Cody did perform well in his time here once he got used to it, so best wishes to Jordan).

The problem with Schroeder is that MG and all fanboys here are hoping for the second coming of St.Louis. The reality is, there are almost no other Martin St.Louis.

He is under sized (see Steve Kariya) and he is NOT a game changer. Unfortunately, I see a career minor leaguer. I really hope I am wrong, but I just don't see it...

PS: I have watched a lot of Jordan, he is fast and skilled at the AHL level.

I'm sorry but honestly guys!..........Raymond is the finished article who on his day (and unhampered by effects of injury) can be devastating in terms of attack AND defence................Now here we have some outcry about favouritism because he is picked over KASSIAN!?!? .............please let's keep things real.

Archived