Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * * - 5 votes

Jordan Schroeder is going to surprise a lot of ppl this year

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
167 replies to this topic

#151 filthycanuck

filthycanuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:24 AM

I think the extent to which Hodgson is relevant in discussion is ONLY in relation to how a rookie was able to make a meaningful contribution to the team, which we haven't had in a while.

I agree Hodgson was a good player, but maybe not the best fit with the team. Hodgson is such a polarizing figure among the Canucks fanbase - let's not get distracted from the discussion at hand: Jordan Schroeder.

He has great pedigree, always playing a level higher than his age. He may have left University too soon in hindsight, but he progressed a lot in other areas of the game to make him a more of a complete player.

Pros: Excellent speed, great hands, great vision, good defensively.
Cons: Size. Questions about his strength (also related to size I guess).

I've only watched a little bit of Schroeder but I think he is going to have a Hodgson-like effect, in that he will be a meaningful contribution for a rookie. It's not like we "relied" on Hodgson to carry the team. We don't need a savior rookie. I think with so many people having low expectations with Schroeder, he may be a pleasant surprise.

Booth - Schroeder - Kassian? Good Power Forwards with skill and speed?
Booth - Schroeder - Raymond? Speedy two-way guys.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Schroeder - Kassian
Higgins - Lapierre - Hansen
Raymond - Malhotra - Volpatti

I'm optimistic about these lines. Good balance of speed, size and skill.

The past posts have somewhat an indirect involvement on Schroeder..the point Im trying to hammer out is that regardless of what kind of production he gets, that idiot of a coach we have will have the final say oh whether he gets his chance. Schroeder can easliy put up a hat trick one game and be benched the next in favour of Ebbett, it has happened before. No matter how good Schroeder plays, one mistake, hes riding the pine pony. No matter how bad Mason Raymond plays, and how many mistakes he makes, he'll get his 15-20 minute, top 6 ice time.

#152 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:02 AM

Jordan is a first round pick who has had his ups and downs. Right now he has been on an upswing , chiefly due to Craig Mc Tavish.

He does not have the ice vision nor wicked shot that Cody has, but he is fast -even by NHL standards- and strong as a little pit bull.

I hope he can become a grittier Cliff Ronning if possible. (I guess i am asking for a lot though)
Posted Image

#153 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,357 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:33 AM

what a shame - came here to see the latest Schroeder comments and as usual this thread has degenerated into another circular Hodgson snore.

#154 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 16,357 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:51 AM

Jordan is a first round pick who has had his ups and downs. Right now he has been on an upswing , chiefly due to Craig Mc Tavish.

He does not have the ice vision nor wicked shot that Cody has, but he is fast -even by NHL standards- and strong as a little pit bull.

I hope he can become a grittier Cliff Ronning if possible. (I guess i am asking for a lot though)

HF's draft scouting report:
"Schroeder is a highly intelligent player that thinks and understands the game exceedingly well. He possesses excellent vision, awareness, and knows where plays will end up. He is instinctive and creative. Schroeder has the ability to make players around him better and his infectious enthusiasm and passion for the game is difficult to miss."

And is faster and grittier than Buffalo's third line center. ::D
I think Schroeder will fit in nicely with Higgins and Hansen - two other players who have similar atrributes - good speed, two way game, hard working, determined, intelligent, and play bigger than their size. HIggins is fierce on the boards at both ends of the ice, Hansen is a mad backchecker - if they are his linemates, they make the heavy lifting in their own end easier for any center that they play with, and as you mention, he does have that little bull quality himself.

Schroeder's 'lack' of size imo is being overemphasized - he gives up a mere 5 pounds on Buffalo's third line center, and Dave Bolland, the guy considered a premiere shut down third line center in the NHL.

#155 jonnycanuck46

jonnycanuck46

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:58 AM

Plus people forget Schroeder is a little pitbull. He benched more than any other prospect at the camp last year.
Posted Image

Ephesians 2:7-9

"That in the ages to come he might show the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast."

#156 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,907 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:01 AM

what a shame - came here to see the latest Schroeder comments and as usual this thread has degenerated into another circular Hodgson snore.

if you wanted a valid, legitimate, and non pissing match convo about schroeder, i'd suggest the prospects forum, not CT. here's his thread: http://forum.canucks...schroeder-talk/

#157 Thirteen

Thirteen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,314 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:07 AM

Can't wait to see Canuck fans drool all over him.

Same things were said about Coho... Canucks use him in a roll like Coho was after Kesler gets back I can see him being solid and useful on the 3rd line. His speed with Hansen and Higgins would be something I want this season.

Posted ImageWooooooooooooooooooooooo!Posted Image

Posted Image
Favorites: Sir. KesLord , Kaner, Stammer, Toes & Pavelski

#158 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,348 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:24 AM

I am quite hopeful that Schroeder will make the team within the next couple of years. He is a strong, quick footed and competetive player. He is stronger on the puck than many other so called bigger players. This team really needs some of the young guys joining the older core players. Without them, the future looks bleak.

#159 SAXMAN

SAXMAN

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:41 AM

i dont think he'll make the full season this season, but he will play and get the feel of the NHL. Then the 2013-2014 season he'll play the full season making a fairly big impact on the roster

#160 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:52 AM

Have you guys actually seen this kid play? It sounds to me like there are a lot of people on here relying solely on stats to determine someones worth. If you watch you can definitely see that last year was spent polishing his defensive game. MacT seemed to want to use him in a defensive role, probably because he wanted that aspect of his game cleaned up. Maybe this was at the request of AV or GMMG but I'm speculating.

Either case, I strongly believe by the defensive draws and situations he was on the ice for, last year was spent beefing up his defensive game and sacrificing his offensive numbers. For those of you just looking at point stats to determine if he makes a good NHLer, maybe you should spend some time watching hockey instead of just looking at numbers. To make it in the NHL, you need to be solid defensively as well and I think that's what they were trying to achieve with him last year.

A lot of coaches in the minors work with this same approach when they already know that the offensive skills are there. That's why you see a lot of offensively gifted players in the minors have subpar point production for a season or two. It also serves to curb the ego and learn to put the team first. You won't get the individual recognition when you spend the season focusing on the defensive side of the game but you help you team.

That was my issue with Cody, he seemed so concerned with offense that his defensive game struggled. Cody on the Moose was placed in offensive situations and then when he made the club, they had to give him those same type of minutes. Maybe they do not want to make the same development mistake with JS.

Great post!!

This is exactly what is needed for guys like Schroeder. I like what you said about curbing the ego. I think gillis said it himself that guys like Schroeder grow up always being the best player on the team and it's a reality check when they turn pro and all of the sudden aren't the go to guy. In Jordan's case they've said they really turned him around and are happy with the player he's molding into. I'm guessing that is part of the reason they traded hodgson. They seen 2 players with the same potential and were confident with the progress JS is making, that he'll be good enough off to take over where CH left off. And bring a more polished defensive game aswell.

What I like from his YouTube videos is his finish. You see him getting lower and really angling his stick to aim for the small pocket of net he sees as opposed to wildly putting the puck on net like Raymond.

I hadn't written him off a year ago but I was starting to become a little skeptical of him reaching that consistent second line potential. Now hearing how pleased they are with him rounding out his game, I'm starting to get more excited about him. This shows the work ethic, ability to put ego aside and patience that is needed to become a solid nhler one day.

#161 The Ghost of Tom Joad

The Ghost of Tom Joad

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:22 PM

Jordan, you better not be spending all your time in Canucks' forums telling people how awesome you are, instead of actually training to get NHL ready.

#162 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 16,357 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:56 PM

Great post!!

This is exactly what is needed for guys like Schroeder. I like what you said about curbing the ego. I think gillis said it himself that guys like Schroeder grow up always being the best player on the team and it's a reality check when they turn pro and all of the sudden aren't the go to guy. In Jordan's case they've said they really turned him around and are happy with the player he's molding into. I'm guessing that is part of the reason they traded hodgson. They seen 2 players with the same potential and were confident with the progress JS is making, that he'll be good enough off to take over where CH left off. And bring a more polished defensive game aswell.

What I like from his YouTube videos is his finish. You see him getting lower and really angling his stick to aim for the small pocket of net he sees as opposed to wildly putting the puck on net like Raymond.

I hadn't written him off a year ago but I was starting to become a little skeptical of him reaching that consistent second line potential. Now hearing how pleased they are with him rounding out his game, I'm starting to get more excited about him. This shows the work ethic, ability to put ego aside and patience that is needed to become a solid nhler one day.

I agree with what you and DooBie604 are getting at there. That is the m.o. of the Canucks, and particularly AV - you need to be able to play the game at both ends of the ice, or prepare to be a career AHLer (with very few exceptions) - whether that request was put to MacT or not, that is the right thing to do for a young player. AV does not ruin young players - far from it - he makes them play a two way game (if they are at all capable). Kesler came into the NHL with big first line expectations and soon realized he'd have to put his hard hat on and develop all the parts of his game. Likewise, guys like Burrows came in, played a sold, primarily checking role, and the offensive upside of his game exploded later. That's the thing about being a solid two way player - it obviously contributes to the offensive side of your game when you spend less time in your own end. I chuckle every time I hear the comment that AV ruins young players - that comment has noob (and Hodgson fanboy) written all over it . I love the kind of hockey the Canucks expect of their young players who want to fit in and be successful, and Schroeder sounds like he has responded quite nicely. His AHL numbers are fine (in fact better than Hodgson's were...) and any young center in the Canucks system has to realize they will need to be successful in the bottom six - that means checking your ego at the door and letting go of the young-minded stat-hunting approach to the game. Looking forward to seeing what he can do this year.

#163 Nicklasjensen46

Nicklasjensen46

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:54 AM

If Schroeder has a great camp, reguardless of how he played last year. He could easily play himself as the number 2 center while kesler is gone. right now the good offensive centermen depth on this team is low. And schroeder is the front leader. If no new center comes in from the luongo trade, its schroeders job to lose.

My 2012 Canucks
Sedin Sedin Burrows
Higgins Kesler Hodgson
Sturm Malhotra Hansen
Sammuelson Lapiere Oreskovich

Hamhuis Bieska
Edler Salo
Tanev Ballard
Luongo Schnieder

#164 tmajor

tmajor

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:07 AM

Schroeder has nothing on Brandon Reid

#165 Li'l Fra

Li'l Fra

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,687 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:29 AM

Where's Brandon Convery when you need him?

#166 darkpoet

darkpoet

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,461 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:54 PM

not that im to judge considering I've barley seen him play, but if he was really top 5 quality wouldn't he have made the team by now? or be racking some serious points in the Ahl?? i seriously doubt this kid will be as good as hodgson.

You're admitting you've "barely seen him play" so your assessment and doubt regarding his level of success is by definition a baseless opinion.

I HAVE watched him play and I am really hoping that he ends up on this team playing a significant role at some point.
It's already been addressed, his size, and how people view that relative to him making any kind of impact in the NHL... but I do compare him to a very significant past Canuck, and that player is Cliff Ronning.

Cliff: 5' 8" 170 lbs
1137 games, 869 pts.

Jordan: 5' 9" 175 lbs
???

Cliff:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sImOiuK5Rnw

Jordan 2011/12 Wolves:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_ZXM1Lo4NI&feature=relmfu

With Kesler out, you better believe he is gearing up to come in and show what he's got. He's also a Right shot which this team is sorely missing.

He turns 22 September 29th and has spent 3 solid years in the AHL working on his game. It's his time, and with Kes out, he knows it.

Will he play as long and have the success Ronning had? Who knows. The similarities are there though if you've watched him enough. He has a very high hockey intellect, and as a smaller guy is extremely quick, especially close to the net.

I'm pretty high on Jensen, but Schroeder has put more time in and he's ready.

source: my time watching him play at young prospects and then live Moose/Wolves games.

ps. as far as the CoHo argument.... here are some AHL numbers

Hodgson:
2010/11 Moose
17G 13A 30pts -12
*also had 6pts in 11 games and a +4 coming straight from junior to help Manitoba in their 2009 playoffs

Schroeder:
2010/11 Moose
10G 18A 28pts -7

2011/12 Wolves
21G 23A 44pts +8

Jordan doubled his goal output in his second year pro AND went from a -7 to a +8

Injuries combined with media speculation about possible issues w/ management really were a problem with Cody. Right or wrong, it ended up severely effecting his emergence as an NHLer and remains to be seen how much it will going forward.

Jordan has none of that baggage, and is an equally skilled player.

Edited by darkpoet, 18 July 2012 - 03:22 PM.

#167 shadowgoon

shadowgoon

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:33 PM

The thing about Shroeder is that he has very good awareness - both offensive and defensive. He can read the play in full stride and is shifty on the ice. He has soft hands and a good shot. He has all the required tools, I don't expect that to translate into instant success, but if he can put up 20-30 points and not be a defensive liability I would say that would be a very good rookie season.

He has what people call in the business a "high hockey IQ", he's intelligent and can learn and fit into a system. He also has the core skills and talent to be successful, we'll see if he can put it all together. I'd rather see him one more full season in the AHL, if he can make another quantum jump point wise and be in the 80-90 point range I think he would be ready to make the transition to the NHL next season when we would have a more legitimate need for a 3rd line center.

#168 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:42 PM

Schroeder is going to be great for us , like Cliff Ronning was for us !!! Go Jordan Go !!!!
Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.