Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

(Rumor) Canucks interested in Cristobal Huet

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
62 replies to this topic

#31 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,664 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:46 PM

There isn't a team out there that doesn't have a starter and a backup. Hence, the team we'd be trading Luongo to would likely be giving us their backup (or starter) back.

Yes, there is a chance that Huet is being looked in the odd circumstance that we won't acquire a backup in exchange for Luongo, but there is also a chance that some guy on twitter just saw our very own Huet to Canucks speculation thread on CDC and decided to make a rumour tweet about it.

Huet was replaced as the starter in Chicago for a reason. Short memories, everyone? He was horrible. Not horrible for the cap hit. Just plain horrible.

And now he's not even accustomed to NHL shooters anymore? No thanks.
Posted Image

#32 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:47 PM

More like a camp invite and pre season goalie. I don't think he would beat out Lack for the back up spot in the regular season. Its good to have a veteran around but Huet will pbbly end up in the AHL if he signs with Canucks.

What happened to Theodore coming back in the Luongo trade? I guess he is not budging from his refusal to waive his NTC.

#33 Hotdawg

Hotdawg

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:47 PM

What ever happened to him? When he was with the Canadiens I thought he was the next Dominik Hasek, and then he just disappeared.

#34 Edler's Mind Tricks

Edler's Mind Tricks

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:09 AM

Sign him for league minimum, and if Lack tears up the AHL, bring him up for a week and start him (keeping three goalies). If he is reliable, trade Huet for a low pick or waive him. If not, send him back down.

Hockey Management Intern for UBC Thunderbirds.
Associate Editor for Dobber Sports Network.
Designing a UBC Hockey Management Degree.

#35 tocnhockey

tocnhockey

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,729 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:18 AM

What ever happened to him? When he was with the Canadiens I thought he was the next Dominik Hasek, and then he just disappeared.

snip/.....

Cristobal Huet has become the goalie the National Hockey League forgot, exiled to Switzerland not because he couldn’t play in the world’s best league, but because his level of play didn’t match an expensive contract in Chicago.

So the Blackhawks, fresh off a Stanley Cup victory with Huet on the bench in favor of Antti Niemi, and facing a salary cap crunch that would break up their championship roster forever, sent Huet and the remaining two seasons of a four-year, $22.4-million contract overseas, where it didn’t count against the cap.

Now, with that $5.625-million per season deal expired, Huet is a free agent once again. And with NHL teams scrambling for experienced backup help after Martin Biron re-signed with the Rangers and Johan Hedberg made it clear to suitors he planned to stay in New Jersey, they could do a lot worse than Huet.

The French-born stopper is eager to prove he should still be in the NHL.

“I still belong, I’m better than some other guys, and I’d like another shot,” Huet told InGoal Magazine from Europe, adding his agent had talked to “a few” NHL teams. “I’d love to come back, but I know once you are out of the League a little bit guys tend to forget about you and that’s the nature of the beast. But I still think I have something to show in the NHL, and to prove I still belong there. For me it would be a great second chance to come back and play in the best league.”

http://ingoalmag.com...for-a-comeback/

"He'll play, you know he'll play. He'll play on crutches."

linden_mclean1994.jpg

Kirk McLean and Trevor Linden -Game 6 1994 SC Finals

#36 Jester@wraiths.ca

Jester@wraiths.ca

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,226 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:17 AM

There isn't a team out there that doesn't have a starter and a backup. Hence, the team we'd be trading Luongo to would likely be giving us their backup (or starter) back.

Yes, there is a chance that Huet is being looked in the odd circumstance that we won't acquire a backup in exchange for Luongo, but there is also a chance that some guy on twitter just saw our very own Huet to Canucks speculation thread on CDC and decided to make a rumour tweet about it.

Huet was replaced as the starter in Chicago for a reason. Short memories, everyone? He was horrible. Not horrible for the cap hit. Just plain horrible.

And now he's not even accustomed to NHL shooters anymore? No thanks.

The person with a short memory would be you. He wasn't horrible, he just wasn't as good as his contract. He wasn't playing like a 5 million dollar starting tender, but he certainly seems qualified as a veteran backup to get signed for 1.5 million or less. Putting him here, back with the goalie coach that brought out the best in him probably wouldn't hurt his play either...

#37 allkill326

allkill326

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:21 AM

“I still belong, I’m better than some other guys, and I’d like another shot.”
-Cristobal Huet

http://ingoalmag.com...for-a-comeback/

:lol:
Posted Image

#38 HavocSpree

HavocSpree

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:22 AM

I would hate to lose Lack :sadno:

Posted Image

credit to marinated.pea for the sick sig

#39 Spoosh

Spoosh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:25 AM

Even if we decide to have Lack up as the backup (highly unlikely), we still 'need' a guy to challenge for the position at camp and pre-games. Huet at around $1M would fit the bill, if we can't get Theodore or someone similar back in a Luongo deal. I'd be more than comfortable going into the season with a Schneider - Theodore duo. LAck also, but that isn't the right course of action for a Cup contender. Huet so-and-so, but ok if we run out of options...
© 2000, 2014 K'Spoosh Entertainment Ltd.

Misuse of this almost copyrighted information will with near certainty lead to misuse of it.

Posted Image

#40 HockeyHobo73

HockeyHobo73

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:49 AM

There isn't a team out there that doesn't have a starter and a backup.

Ahem *Toronto Maple Leafs * Ahem

#41 DollarAndADream

DollarAndADream

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,491 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:53 AM

He would be a good backup to Schneider. Although I believe that Lack is ready for a backup position in the NHL.

x1vXIze.png
RIP LB/RR - Signature credit to JimLahey

small.pngCDCEHL

#42 MJDDawg

MJDDawg

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:55 AM

Moneyball.

Yup. I'm getting bloody tired of this.

Bold moves indeed for MG.

1zchaix.jpg

Always vigilant and on the lookout for Tiger Singh,The Stork, Shamu101, Mangoes, Cucumbers, Proballhockeyplayer, Dal Colle, DontTradeEdler, RespectYourEdlers23, D.T.E. and...

#43 Auximenes

Auximenes

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,857 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:01 AM

I rather have Lack
Posted Image
The Russian Rocket - Vintage Canuck

#44 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,229 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:03 AM

Only if he comes fairly cheap, and management/ownership is fully prepared to send him to the Wolves if Lack outshines him in the preseason.

Having a vet help Cannata with his transition to pro ain't a bad idea.
Posted Image

#45 kloubek

kloubek

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:05 AM

I think Huet would be a wonderful backup. Sign him for no more than 2 years... probably just one, then Lack can take the backup role in a year or two.
Biggest Canucks Fan this Side of the Rockies.

#46 Losing With Pride

Losing With Pride

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,726 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:07 AM

Huet is awful.
No thanks.

#47 arsenalian

arsenalian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:19 AM

He would be a good backup to Schneider. Although I believe that Lack is ready for a backup position in the NHL.

I've said this in other threads, and I'll say it again (not directed just at you trav, but everyone saying they'd be happy w/ Lack as a backup.

Lack may be ready for a backup position, but as he's never played a game in the NHL, and this will be Schneider's first year as a starter, it would be pretty risky to have Lack backing him up. Ideally we want a veteran to back Cory up in case he can't handle the workload in his first year. If Cory gets tired mentally or physically later in the year, do you really want to be relying on a rookie, who's never played a single game in the NHL? He hasn't even played a single game as a backup in the NHL, let alone as a guy who may need to come in for a stretch of games.

I'm pretty sure Gillis will be making sure we have a veteran to backup Schneider, and allow Lack to get a full compliment of games in the AHL. For a goalie to develop properly they need a couple of full season, playing starter's minutes in the AHL, before moving up to the backup position in the NHL. So for the sake of icing the best team, and for the sake of Lack's development, throwing him in as backup to Cory this year, would be a big mistake.

#48 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,664 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:27 AM

The person with a short memory would be you. He wasn't horrible, he just wasn't as good as his contract. He wasn't playing like a 5 million dollar starting tender, but he certainly seems qualified as a veteran backup to get signed for 1.5 million or less. Putting him here, back with the goalie coach that brought out the best in him probably wouldn't hurt his play either...

That would be wrong, of course. He had a negative -8 GVT (that's really bad) for that last season as a Hawk. He was 3rd-worst in sv% for that season. Any success he had that season was due to Chicago having a dominant team in front of him. It was said all season long that goaltending was their achilles heel, until Niemi took over, that is.

You put him behind a team that was not as dominant, esp. after a long KHL layoff, and will you see him perform worse, not better. $1.5mil for that? I'd rather roll the dice on Eddie Lack.

Anyway, it's all moot, since we'd likely be acquiring a backup in return for Luongo.
Posted Image

#49 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,664 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:04 AM

Sorry, Swiss league, not KHL.
Posted Image

#50 Hobble

Hobble

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,687 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:06 AM

If he asks for too much money, sign him.

#51 Spoosh

Spoosh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:09 AM

Anyway, it's all moot, since we'd likely be acquiring a backup in return for Luongo.

Hope so, but even if I don't dislike the TML, I sincerely hope the backup won't come from Toronto. Rather Lack then, as everyone is saying.
© 2000, 2014 K'Spoosh Entertainment Ltd.

Misuse of this almost copyrighted information will with near certainty lead to misuse of it.

Posted Image

#52 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,725 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:18 AM

13 years 98 million - if he asks for anything more let him walk
Posted Image

#53 Jay86

Jay86

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:33 AM

cloutier 2.0

#54 Hedman

Hedman

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:50 PM

I would take Dan Ellis over Huet any day, if we are looking at free agents. I would take Ellis even if he demanded twice as much money as Huet wants. Huet sucked pretty hard 2 years ago in Chicago. He's now 36 and will turn 37 this August, and he has been playing in Switzerland the last 2 seasons. IMO he's certaintly not a safe choice behind Schneider who will play his first season as a starter in the NHL.

Edited by Hedman, 11 July 2012 - 12:51 PM.

#55 TheCammer

TheCammer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:36 PM

He remembered he was Swiss and had more holes than his country's cheese.
Posted Image

#56 canuck cole

canuck cole

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:24 PM

I would rather have Lack as a backup for next season, younger, cheaper and probably better. I don't want some aging veteran goalie who's been traded multiple times and who will let in every second shot.

Edited by canuck cole, 11 July 2012 - 05:25 PM.

#57 Nicklasjensen46

Nicklasjensen46

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:10 PM

nothing wrong with a PTO or a one year deal. Let him and lack battle it out. Nothing wrong with stiff competetion

My 2012 Canucks
Sedin Sedin Burrows
Higgins Kesler Hodgson
Sturm Malhotra Hansen
Sammuelson Lapiere Oreskovich

Hamhuis Bieska
Edler Salo
Tanev Ballard
Luongo Schnieder

#58 A Skylit Drive

A Skylit Drive

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:18 PM

I forgot this guy still existed...

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted ImageRip Luc Bourdon Forever a canuck...

#59 bobopan

bobopan

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,527 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:55 PM

He could be an option, really have no clue as to how his play has been in europe. Im not convinced the least tho that Lack is ready
to handle 20+ games. Id be much more comfortable with a capable vet this season at least.

#60 Mr. White

Mr. White

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:49 AM

I don't know about you guys but I would really like to see Lack in some NHL games next year. The kid is an absolute beast!
Posted Image
^VanCauck93^

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.