The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Update] Doan Gets Contract Offers From 3 Teams, Canucks Offer

This will be an absolute waste of an opportunity if Vancouver really IS in the running but can't afford it. Relying on Raymond over a guy like Doan would be THE biggest joke for this franchise.

The fact is if we pitch for Doan someone will HAVE to be traded. And the only logical person is Raymond and/or Ballard. That's the only reason Raymond should be brought into the conversation.

The following article (Sporting News - subsidiary of the Phoenix Business Journal) gives a pretty good take on where the Yotes sale is at. While the NHL and Jamison are moving forward with Glendale council's approval, there is still action being taken to raise signatures to force a referendum. If the required number of signatures are raised and the council rejects the petition because of a timing issue, a law suit is being threatened. Other legal action is being threatened over a separate attempt to get the sales tax increase overturned as well.

Doan would appear to be waiting to see if the required number of signatures is, in fact, obtained by the 16th. If the signatures are obtained, even if rejected by the council, this soap opera will continue and be tied up in litigation for quite some time.

Will Doan be willing to commit the rest of his career to Phoenix amidst the on-going legal hassles. I hope not.

In addition, Jamison has yet to confirm who his investors are and some are convinced he does not yet have the resources to close the deal.

Hopefully Doan sees the writing on the wall and the futility of continuing with the Yotes. If the NHL has to continue to be involved with the management of the team this soming season, Doan may pull the plug as he was candid in his comments about the negative aspect of playing for a team owned by the league.

NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly said Wednesday the league is moving forward with its bid to sell the Phoenix Coyotes to a group led by Greg Jamison.

Daly also said the NHL remains committed to its stance of keeping the Coyotes in Phoenix and not having the team move to a new market like Seattle or Quebec City. The league would have to act soon if it was going to move the franchise to another market this offseason.

In a Wednesday afternoon email to the Phoenix Business Journal, Daly did not put a timetable on when the sale would be finalized. The NHL has already given preliminary approval to Jamison buying the team.

NHL moves to finalize the Coyotes sale could come quickly with the city of Glendale’s efforts this week to nix two ballot measures related to the deal.

The city Wednesday disqualified a measure that sought to ask voters to nix a sales tax increase that would help Glendale solve a $35 million budget gap as well as help pay for a 20-year, $300 million arena deal with Jamison’s Coyotes group. The city cited misleading language on the ballot measure and petitions in its action.

Organizers of the sales tax measure could sue the city over the disqualification, campaign chairwoman Connie Wilhelm said Wednesday.

The sales tax increase and the opposition measure are not tied directly to the city’s Coyotes deal. But the increased tax revenue helps Glendale pay for the arena pact.

Glendale is also ready to nix a proposed referendum asking city voters to void the City Council’s June 8 approval of the arena deal with Jamison.

Glendale will argue petition signatures for that measure were due July 9. That comes from a state law giving referendum organizers 30 days after a city vote to collect enough valid voter signatures to take their effort to the ballot.

Organizers Joe Cobb and Ken Jones say they will turn in their petitions tomorrow. Cobb believes they have until July 12 based on a court decision last month on the city’s Coyotes deal.

Jones says that deadline is longer, July 16, because that is a month from when the city gave him and Cobb referendum packets on June 15.

Cobb said they have legal counsel ready to fight the expected Glendale disqualification in court. The city is also confident in its legal standing on the deadline dates.

There have been indications this week from Jamison’s camp and Glendale that progress is being made on the sale.

That sentiment might also be bolstered by Coyotes free agent captain Shane Doan saying he would wait until July 16 to decide on whether to stay with the Coyotes or sign with a new team.

Doan had previously set July 9 as that deadline. He is considering leaving the Coyotes if the ownership situation isn’t resolved and the team’s future in Phoenix is still in doubt. Doan’s extension, however, could indicate there could be some progress on finally getting the Coyotes sold.

The Coyotes ownership soap opera, however, has dragged on for more than three years with various groups and bids unable to finalize deal. Past predictions and assurances that a sale is close have not come to fruition.

Jamison’s camp has said he has the investors and money to buy the team, but they were waiting for the dust to clear regarding legal challenges and ballot measures against the arena deal.

Jamison has not yet disclosed his investment partners in the Coyotes purchase. Jones and other skeptics of the deal continue to question whether the money is there to make a deal happen.

The NHL has owned the Coyotes since 2009 and has fought tooth and nail to keep the team in Phoenix.

The NHL will try to keep the yotes there,but saying that it doesnt show they have a strong owner and thats what Doan is looking for.Doan wants to play for a few more years and to be happy not worrying about if he will have to pick up and move.This is the only reason he will test the market,talk with family and figure out where to move.We are in the top 3 teams but if he leaves we will be in the top two!

If Gillis can land Doan and pry even the most loyal of players from their team then he's back in my good books. All we really need then is maybe a depth defenceman or two at the trade deadline for a big-time push, and we'll have plenty of forwards to dangle as trade bait.

If Doan's coming in, I hate to say it but gritty wingers like Hansen, Burrows, Higgins and Booth suddenly become very expendable.

If Gillis can land Doan and pry even the most loyal of players from their team then he's back in my good books. All we really need then is maybe a depth defenceman or two at the trade deadline for a big-time push, and we'll have plenty of forwards to dangle as trade bait.

If Doan's coming in, I hate to say it but gritty wingers like Hansen, Burrows, Higgins and Booth suddenly become very expendable.

This will be an absolute waste of an opportunity if Vancouver really IS in the running but can't afford it. Relying on Raymond over a guy like Doan would be THE biggest joke for this franchise.

The fact is if we pitch for Doan someone will HAVE to be traded. And the only logical person is Raymond and/or Ballard. That's the only reason Raymond should be brought into the conversation.

I heard on team 1040 that canucks for now can offer doan 3 mil per year till Lu's trade.thats not happening anytime soon and so therefore he won't sign here am sure Kings and Sharks can offer him more then a 3 mil per year contract.He extended signing till July 16 so coyotes are apparently very much in it as well.

I agree we have the room for Doan without trades.Only problem I see is when we trade Luo we will have a couple extra players and I would like to see Raymond,Manny and Ballard traded as all have not played as they should and doing this would free up room to resign Edler to a deal and keep him here.Plus if Weber wants to come next year we can get him!!!Long shot but I would love to see it!

Man, I'm getting tired of spelling this out for people here but I'm a sucker for educating others so here it goes. Burrows took a HUGE discount to play here, that shows team loyalty in an era where it's virtually non-existant. Burr has been a warrior for this team, he's given a lot on and off the ice and performed night in/night out when others around him haven't. As others have said, Doan is considered one of the most loyal players in the league (loyal to his teammates and organization) - his recent scenario with Phoenix is the prime example. You want to show Doan, one of the most respected players in the NHL, that the Canucks are the team he wants to go to by selling off perhaps the most loyal guy on the team? Nice, that sends a great message to Doan and the rest of the future UFA's we would potentially be courting in the future. People on CDC need to take off their short-sighted glasses for a moment and see the bigger picture. MG has said from day one that he wants to build the Canucks into the preeminent organization of the entire NHL - a place where UFA's are looking to sign because of how they are treated as players and as people. Dumping loyal players for the 'next best piece of the puzzle' sends the wrong message if you're building a team that's going to be at the top for many, many years. Hansen and Higgy are decent grinders who've given great service to the team so I say keep them, not because their service but because I believe they bring key elements to the team and are valuable. Booth, well he's a recent addition that I never supported but he's NTC now so what you gonna do?

I'd like to see where you get this financial information on the Canucks.

A) we need a back up goaltender. That will eat some space.

B) we will undoubtedly take some cap back in the luongo deal. Even if it is a small amount. I just don't see it being ONLY picks and prospects.

C) Kesler's salary out untill Dec and then what? Same situation as we'd be in now.

D) Schroeder most likely be called up, so that's another chunk of salary

And E) where the hell is Raymond going to play if Doan is on the team? He won't bump Doan, Hansen, Higgins.... And he shouldn't be on the fourth line. If Doan is here for 3 years, get a return on Raymond now. Be the best thing possible.

Archived