The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Update] Doan Gets Contract Offers From 3 Teams, Canucks Offer

If Gillis can land Doan and pry even the most loyal of players from their team then he's back in my good books. All we really need then is maybe a depth defenceman or two at the trade deadline for a big-time push, and we'll have plenty of forwards to dangle as trade bait.

If Doan's coming in, I hate to say it but gritty wingers like Hansen, Burrows, Higgins and Booth suddenly become very expendable.

Great idea sign the aging vet and trade burrows and Hansen for a couple depth defenseman.. Instant cup!!!

Doan is an awesome addition but to say burrows is expendable is retarded.. He's the most clutch player the Canucks have ever had.

Teams cannot exceed the cap by 10%, this is a fact. If one is to believe on-line sources like capgeek (which has been incredibly accurate in the past) this leaves only about 3mil(approximately) to sign Doan without unloading other salaries - we all know this figure is unlikely to land Doan. If one is to believe Gilman (which I've yet to see him explain his figues himself) there is plenty of room.

Want to take your foot out of your mouth now, or do you want to actually do the research? NHL/NHLPA CBA, Sec. 50.5.c. ii. b.

If you're unable to find the section where it states the 10% temporary upper limit adjustment due to incompetence, please post and I'll give you the exact page to find it on.

The sub-section of the clause in the CBA is very clear (unlike the rest of the CBA) - teams can exceed the cap by 10% only from July 1st up to the last day of training camp (it literally says up to the last day of training camp), then teams must be in compliance with the upper limits of the cap as per the amounts set for that particular season.

This clause is actually very clear when you read the CBA and very easy to find on-line. Apparently not as easy as shooting off one's mouth about being owned before one does his/her own research (not you).

That teams can exceed the cap only by 10% is in black and white in the CBA and is difficult to dispute if you read the section. What is unclear is exactly how much cap-room the Canucks have because no one really knows which exact contracts the Canucks have registered with the NHL right now - only Gilman/MG know that info.

Gillis has a cap hit structure. He won't offer Doan more than Kesler, and certainly not more than the Sedins. He's also been clear about 35+ yr contracts. Therefore, I'm guessing he offered somewhere in the range of $4.5M- $4.9M x 2 or 3 yrs.

Odd thing is, if Doan gets around $4.9M, the Canucks 1st and 2nd lines total cap hits will be pretty much the same (around $14M per line). That's 40% of cap space tied up in just 2 lines (or 6 players on a 23 man roster). Not sure how efficient that would be.

Want to take your foot out of your mouth now, or do you want to actually do the research? NHL/NHLPA CBA, Sec. 50.5.c. ii. b.

If you're unable to find the section where it states the 10% temporary upper limit adjustment due to incompetence, please post and I'll give you the exact page to find it on.

Gillis has a cap hit structure. He won't offer Doan more than Kesler, and certainly not more than the Sedins. He's also been clear about 35+ yr contracts. Therefore, I'm guessing he offered somewhere in the range of $4.5M- $4.9M x 2 or 3 yrs.

Odd thing is, if Doan gets around $4.9M, the Canucks 1st and 2nd lines total cap hits will be pretty much the same (around $14M per line). That's 40% of cap space tied up in just 2 lines (or 6 players on a 23 man roster). Not sure how efficient that would be.

higgins kesler and booth need to play a full year together signing doan may seen like a good move, but it just hurts the team. Burrows wants a pay bump, so does edler. Doan at 5 million over 3 years screws us bad.

Archived