The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Grading the offseason so far

Lui's Knob

So far I'd have to say:

Draft: B

Gaunce looks like a good pick but so far that's all. Can't really tell how he will be down the road but the same goes for the other picks.

Off season: C

Until we find out where luongo is going and what we get back and if we get another forward signing there is still too much undecided. Luckily there is a lot of free agency left so there is still time.

Our prospect pool blows. Like.. really badly. And it sucked even with Hodgson around.

But this off-season is an F. Salo was one of our best defensemen last year and preivous years, and it was like night and day when he was out of the lineup last year. It's a bigger loss than people seem to give it credit for. Yeah, Garrison is younger than Salo, but he's unproven and only hado ne season.. if he doesn't pan out to be as good as Salo, then.. that's a huge loss. We also lost Rome, who, like him or hate him, was a good 6-7th D. Now we'll have some AHL guys filling up random holes back there.

And.. seriously. If we don't sign some forwards, that's a total fail. People say "We kept the good offensive core together woo!" Do people forget just how piss poor this offense performs in the playoffs? I mean, the Seidn's being extremely mediocre against any team with half decent defense is one thing, but we have no second line. Kesler did good ONE series.. we get no offense. We were like one of the lowest scoring team going into the finals that year, and Boston laughed us out. Any off nights their defense or Thomas had in the previous series, they popped in 3-5 goals. We were lucky to get 1, let alone 2.

We aren't going anywhere with our offense, I figured people would be clear to that fact after the last few years and us not being able to score, even as far back as 06 when we played Anaheim and Dallas. Our offense blows. We have no second line offense. Our depth sucks.

There isn't that much to fix. We went into the offseason looking for top4 D and top 6 forward. We got our top 4 D. We lost Salo but he was in the bottom pair by the end of the season/playoffs anyways. Offseason is far from over, and Im hoping we get out top 6 forward soon. Luongo needs to go too. I say a solid B.

D-. Untill the Goalie situation is dealt with and the depth is properly addressed. If we go in to next season with status quo you would have to say we are worse off than the 2 previous seasons. Having both goalies on paper is great but both not being happy and waiting for the distraction to end is a cancer. With our division getting much better for next season we have to get much better. Gsrrison is a step in the right direction but we lost Salo which will be the same amount of points probably. Losing Grags makes an already shaky trade look stupid. Plus keep in mind we will go about half the season without Kes. How , on paper , can anyone think we are equal or better team than the previuos 2 seasons?

It is much too early to grade the off-season.

Signing Garrison was a very big plus, more for his defensive play than his offence - though he might be a huge beneficiary of a season full of Sedinery. The loss of Salo's steady influence and his right-hand shot hurts - but you have to have turnover to make room for young guys - can Tanev improve significantly? I believe he can, but we are stuck with a left-shooting defender playing the right side - Ehrhoff did that well, we'll see if any of our current defenders are as capable.

Moving Luongo may be a case of addition by subtraction, I am yet to be convinced that we will yield much back in return.

I am concerned that we have not addressed the fact that we need a number 2/3 centre - kind of like the unnamed guy we traded away for a guy that can't yet make our team. Kesler, apparently, will miss a significant part of the coming season - and we have done nothing to address that need, but there is lots of time, and time may put more pressure on someone looking for a goalie and having a larder full of young assets - like Florida.

Too much time yet to really pass judgement on the off-season.

I guess our draft has to be evaluated relative to where we picked and how many slots we gave away for no return. Gaunce looks okay, but the rest are suspect. We really have not drafted very well under MG - do we have any significant player that he drafted that is still on our team, or that has yielded a player of any significance for our team - can't think of a single one. Not good.

Draft I would give a C

Gaunce was an awesome pick but every other pick seem to be a reach.

Free Agency again C

Garrison is a good signing but once again he is coming off of a great season the odds of him scoring 16 goals again is unlikely. So he could easily be labelled as a bust signing and he could look like a great signing only time will tell.

Some of the comments on here are a joke. It looks like unless we somehow steal the 1st overall pick at pick 26 and then we sign all the free agents at a discount, people will be somewhat satisfied.

We have a good team and just need some tweaks to put us over the top. Salo had to leave. There is no way I would pay him that amount of money when you don't even know if he can play the next two years. Garrison is an excellent replacement and he has had TWO great years, not one. The year previous he was put in a shutdown role and did that well, then last year he was placed in a more offensive role and did great as well. He took a discount to be here and still some of you are not satisfied.

You don't just make a trade for the sake of trading. And I bet even if we did sign more people the same people would complain that we overpaid.

Everyone wants every roster spot filled with free agent signings yet everyone complains we don't give our young guys a chance to play. Geez.

Draft [C+]: Gaunce is a very safe pick; he has the skillset for the NHL, but he won't be a top six player. The others are meh, but time will tell and MG wanted overagers so that they could develop a year sooner and fill in our aging players.

Free Agency : The big names were Parise, Suter, Doan and Garrison. We got one, two were completely out of our control, the other may or may not sign here. When you look and see that we lost Salo and only got Garrison (and fringe players and Raymond), it looks like a fail, but when you see the otherwise crappy FA pool and the high offer to Salo, we did a lot better than most teams.

Trades : Incomplete due to none happening. Will become an F if one goaltender isn't moved by the season's start, and will improve if we deal one of them.

I won't grade the draft because honestly, no one on here knows much about any of these prospects. Could be A or could be D.

This is based on today.

Defence: Salo, Grags and Rome out. Garrison in. Better top 4 but less depth. C

Forwards: Nothing so not sure how to grade. Incomplete.

Goalie: as of now, same 2 guys except one is paid a ton more now. D

PLUS:

-Raymond signing

MINUS:

-How Luongo's been handled

-Gaunce draft pick (don't understand the logic of using a 1st round pick on a guy that projects to be a 3rd line player)

-Rome walking

-Salo walking

-Garrison signing (the WORST)

a bit too early because there are still alot of solid players out there but..

Draft: B-

Off-Season - B

Re-signed Schneider, volpatti. no comments on the raymond signing because he came out of a serious injury and that might've affected his play but we'll see coming season how he perform. got Garrison but lost salo. If we sign a top 6 forward (like Doan) i will be satisfied with this off season

Gaunce was a quality pick. We took the best player available in the draft according to central scouting and he is just what we need, a big two way center. We were just a couple picks off of scissons which was a shame, and the mallet pick was kind of a stretch. But who knows only time will tell. Rest of the picks were solid especially the beattie pick.

Draft: B

FA so far in another story. Garrison was and excellent signing, and we didn't overpay to get him. But we also lost Salo and Rome. (not much we could do about that though). If we get Doan then I will put the Canucks in the winners catogory, if we dont we need to pick up a guy like mueller to provide some scoring depth on the second and possibly third lines. He might even be a great fit with the sedins. If we dont pick up one of those two or someone like them I think that we can catagorize this free agency a bust and we will need to wait and see what the Luongo deal brings us.

Grade: To early to tell only 11 days in but so far I'd give it a C+.

Archived