The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Grading the offseason so far

Lui's Knob

You don't have to pick up parise's and the suters for the offseason to be successful it's what makes our team better - again I would rather have 2 solid 4 mill each players then one guy that could get injured or anything could happen ? off year? anything..

balance to a hockey team is everything

all offense no defense - no cup.

all defense no offense - no cup.

needs to be all balanced and that happens when players take paycuts and we don't spend 8-9 mill on one guy.

How can you grade this offseason with anything other than an i for incomplete. I think grading a draft after a month is ridiculous.

Getting Jason Garrison fills a hole vacated by Salo. Joslin and to a lesser extent Mullen create competition in the 5th to 8th defenseman holes with some of the prospects looking to come up.

I think the major concern is getting some toughness that can play which isn't an easy task. I'm not happy with the Mason Raymond signing unless that was to make him more moveable. As for what they can get for Luongo that will be the major factor in grading the offseason.

P.S. don't expect to see Shane Doan in a Canuck jersey. It sounds like he's looking for a 4-5 year deal which would count against the cap even if he doesn't play the whole term because of his age. That doesn't sound like something Mike Gillis would do.

Nope. A 1-year deal for a guy like Mason Raymond, at $2.25M, is good value. It's better value than David Booth for multiple years and $4.25M per, that I can assure you. They're similar players.

And I see that a lot of you are calling me out on my plus/minus list, feel free to post some actual dialogue to debate rather than using your childish emoticons. To reiterate:

-The way that MIKE GILLIS has handled the Roberto Luongo situation has left a BLACK EYE on this already tainted organization.

-Brendan Gaunce projects as a 3rd line C. This is just a matter of opinion, but I'd much rather swing for the fences with a lower 1st round pick. The kid that Montreal took at #33, Sebastian Collberg, is said to have incredible skill, and speed. He's the type that could be a major boom, or a major bust; kinda like what Michael Grabner, was back in 2006. In any event, it's a reasonable risk for the organization to take, because a guy who's in your top-six should (theoretically) have a far greater impact on your club than your 3rd line C. The Gaunce pick doesn't excite me.

-Aaron Rome. He's a better player than Andrew Alberts, pretty clearly, IMO. But Gillis' unjust fascination with size (or wanting to save face after giving up a 3rd round pick for him, perhaps) leads Alberts to an extension, whereas Rome is gone for nothing. Rome's the perfect 5th/6th d-man. Cheap, reliable. Throws his weight around. Keeps his mouth shut.

-Sami Salo. Pretty obvious one here. I think it was a couple of years ago, where the team's record with/without Salo really showed his impact. I'm afraid that this might be another example of "Willie Mitchell", in that MG thought he was too old/damaged to extend, even though they wanted to come back.

-Jason Garrison. NOT a wise signing. You're buying an asset at an inflated value who was effectively worthless the year before. You're buying a guy at the very, very top, who basically came from nowhere (literally - not even drafted). A 6-YEAR DEAL is frightening beyond words to anybody who doesn't feel that being critical of a Canuck signing will make them any less of a Canuck fan. He's really not proven anything. Over a 6-year time horizon, I'm very, very confident that this deal will not look good.

So, to those who disagree, bring on the debate.

- Raymong isn't worth 1 million. He flops like a fish out of water. Not good enough for the top 6 and too soft for bottom 6. We should have just taken whatever compensation we could have gotten for him. He just doesn't fit on the team.

- It's Luongo's own fault. He's the one who wants out just because he can't take the fact that Schneider out played him. Gillis is only doing what Luongo wants which is trade him. Luongo is acting like such a prima donna and I for one am fed up with his antics.

- Kesler was also projected as a 3rd line C. Projections mean nothing. I see Gaunce as a future Mike Richards or Jordan Staal. They're all 2 way forwards and are not the fastest skaters.

- It's Aaron Rome. Who cares?

- We cannot afford to give Salo that type of contract. It's nothing personal, just business.

- I somewhat agree with you regarding the Garrison signing. Could end up being a bust.

Doesn't matter. Booth can't make a pass, and he just looks lost on the ice too often. A hockey IQ of Forrest Gump.

Raymond @ 2.25 is FAR better value than Booth @ 4.25.

I've explained this many times, Schneider should've been dealt 1, 2, or 3 years ago, anytime after the commitment was made to Roberto Luongo.

Wrong. Retired players' cap hits don't count. If Ohlund retires, he's off of TBs books.

Again, it's a game of odds. You've listed 3 players. Compare them to the hundreds of thousands wannabe NHLers that neither get drafted nor get a shot in the NHL, and you'll see that the probability is remote.

So did Aaron Rome. At $600K.

I dont want to grade Gillis because he hasnt traded Luongo yet.

I will say what I do think so far IMHO

Great

-Garrison for 4.6mil bucks no assets given up

Good

-Re signing Cory Schneider for 4mil . I think after next year this signing becomes great.

meh

letting salo walk out , but cant blame him hes overpaid in tampa

Blah

-re signing Raymond,

Unknown

I dont know what the deal with Lui is. I suspect Gillis is trying to get us the best deal possible

Whats going on with Eddie Lack?

Are we going with Lappy /Schroeder as the third line guy ?

Doesn't matter. Booth can't make a pass, and he just looks lost on the ice too often. A hockey IQ of Forrest Gump.

Raymond @ 2.25 is FAR better value than Booth @ 4.25.

I've explained this many times, Schneider should've been dealt 1, 2, or 3 years ago, anytime after the commitment was made to Roberto Luongo.

Wrong. Retired players' cap hits don't count. If Ohlund retires, he's off of TBs books.

Again, it's a game of odds. You've listed 3 players. Compare them to the hundreds of thousands wannabe NHLers that neither get drafted nor get a shot in the NHL, and you'll see that the probability is remote.

So did Aaron Rome. At $600K.

Archived