The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] MA Gragnani to Carolina

What did Gillis say about the guy in the presser after the Hodgson deal? It was something like 'big talented offensive defensemen don't come along every day'... and we don't even bother to qualify him? I don't know, this is a real head-scratcher to me. Seems like MAG deserved a shot at making the roster.

Sulzer was never going to beat out Humhuis, Bieksa, Edler, Ballard, Salo Rome, Alberts, last year, for a full time spot and this year he would not have beaten out Hamhuis, Bieksa Ballard, Edler, Garrison, Tanev or Alberts

Proclaiming a 'fail' for no longer having an 8th defenseman on the depth chart is a bit ludicris...this way Sulzer gets a shot with a team that may be able to use him, we got to test drive Grags...and he wasn't going to beat these guys out either...so it is more win win than lose lose.

But don't let me interupt your hate on for the Hodgson trade...

Gragnani may not have been willing to accept his qualifying offer - chances are he wanted more than the $575 he would have made as a Canuck.

Regardless, the signing of Garrison pretty much muscles Gragnani out - and in case no one noticed, no one signed Gragnani for 11 days, so the urgency was obviously not there.

Gragnani makes no sense as a third pairing defenseman - so he doesn't really fit in the scheme anymore.

For folks getting dramatic about the loss of Sulzer - he was signed as a UFA and played 12 games in Vancouver. He cost no assets and therefore moving him for Gragnani cost no assets. Quit indirectly whining about the Hodgson deal, whiny whiners.

Best of luck to Grags - if he settles in, there is lots of potential there.

Archived