The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] MA Gragnani to Carolina

Gragnani may not have been willing to accept his qualifying offer - chances are he wanted more than the $575 he would have made as a Canuck.

Regardless, the signing of Garrison pretty much muscles Gragnani out - and in case no one noticed, no one signed Gragnani for 11 days, so the urgency was obviously not there.

For folks getting dramatic about the loss of Sulzer - he was signed as a UFA and played 12 games in Vancouver. He cost no assets and therefore moving him for Gragnani cost no assets. Quit indirectly whining about the Hodgson deal, whiny whiners.

I won't say Joslin is better than Gragnani, but I will say that given the change in the top four, he is a better fit as a depth, gritty, third pairing guy, and like Gragnani is able to be used as a fourth liner in a pinch - a good guy to have as an insurance player when a seventh blueliner can be dressed who can actually contribute as a fourth liner if necessary. I'm fine with this swap.

he doesn't have to accept it to be qualified, it merely needs to be offered by the club. if the player doesn't want to accept it he can negotiate with the club, or file for arbitration (if he's eligible for arbitration). the canucks never tendered a qualifying offer to grags, making him an UFA. the qualifying offer merely states the club's intentions to sign the player, keeping them in their RFA status, and is a starting point for negotiations. gillis's not tendering one means they didn't want him.

Gragnani may not have been willing to accept his qualifying offer - chances are he wanted more than the $575 he would have made as a Canuck.

Regardless, the signing of Garrison pretty much muscles Gragnani out - and in case no one noticed, no one signed Gragnani for 11 days, so the urgency was obviously not there.

Gragnani makes no sense as a third pairing defenseman - so he doesn't really fit in the scheme anymore.

For folks getting dramatic about the loss of Sulzer - he was signed as a UFA and played 12 games in Vancouver. He cost no assets and therefore moving him for Gragnani cost no assets. Quit indirectly whining about the Hodgson deal, whiny whiners.

Best of luck to Grags - if he settles in, there is lots of potential there.

Wasn't Gragnani AHL defence man of the year? And 7 points in 7 playoff games with Buffalo. Yea he wasn't too great defensively but it takes time adjusting to a new team and I don't think he was given a real chance to prove himself. I think he will be a good offensive defence man, and a steal for 800k.

Archived