The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Shea Weber as a Canuck: For and Against

L'Orange

Shea Weber as a Canuck  

192 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I am 100% POSITIVE !!! That he would HELP our Team....as has been noted MANY times IF we CAN get him , Management would AND could make room for him under the current cap..( could go up as much as 5-7mill ) ...the point hasnt anything to do with the financials on our ( Canucks ) end...I do see the loss of Suter as being of some consequence , but I dont see any benifit to our team specifically ...I dont see Poile letting him go for nothing ESPECIALLY if its within our own confrence....I see Poile moving him east if he cant sign him...on the side for the good guys ,Home , Contender , and whatever $$$ he asks for....on the bad side.......Nope ! Cant see any...We have as good a chance as any other team in the league.

The key is whether or not he has a specific destination in mind, a la Jordan Staal with Carolina. If he makes it known that he wants to go to a specific location or he will not sign long term Poile's hands are effectively tied. No one will ante up huge if he won't commit for a few years. Hopefully he's destined to wear blue and green.

Nashville could still get a decent return for him, even if they could only deal him to VAN or any other one team. Pittsburgh got Sutter, Dumolin and the 8th overall for Staal even though he was destined to go there. I'd be willing to do Edler/Ballard (Edler if they want a great dman, Ballard if they want one with some term) Schroeder, and Kassian/Jensen. Pretty decent from Nashville's point of view. They get a decent NHL defenceman to help fill the hole, and a couple of good young forward prospects. Helps both sides.

Problem is we have 4 defencemen signed at well over 4 million already, with Edler who will demand 5-7 million, and we already have a few forwards signed to long, big contracts as well. Lets not forget Burrows will be asking for about 2 million more too.

There is almost no point letting Edler walk and signing Weber - in 2 seasons time Edler will be the one closer to his peak than Weber who is in his prime right now.

Ideally we cap-dump Ballard for picks and have to replace some of our 2-million dollar forwards for cheaper young guys.

Let Raymond, Malhotra and Higgins go (frees up 6 million). Replace them with Gaunce, Jensen and some 700K guy.

So we lose 4 million from the forwards, 4 million from Ballard, gain 2 million from Burrows' contract leaving us with 6 million to sign Edler. Our only hope of signing Weber is that the cap roof extends another 3 or 4 million, or we trade Luongo for prospects and picks, or even move Garrison if he has a terrible season. This would be a Cup-winning defence though:

Edler - Weber

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Garrison - Tanev

Alberts

The only problem is we lose a lot of depth up front.

Why not just present a big dollar offer sheet and keep Edler, Raymond and the 1st rnd picks? He is a RFA.

No doubt that Weber would help our team immensely but just because you have Weber does not mean that you will win the Cup. What this team needs most right now is a change or an addition to the forward group because in the playoffs, this group has had trouble scoring clutch goals.

Amazing how everyone wants to spend a tonne of money on Weber when we have Edler putting almost identical stats (except for plus minus) and getting less than half of Weber's salary.

Yes, it would nice to have Weber play here, but not if we have to give up a lot of pieces via trade or sign him to a huge contract making him the highest paid player on the team ahead of the Sedins who put up twice as many points, Art Ross says hi.

Archived