The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mikael Samuelsson puts a lot of the blame on Alex Burrows for Canucks cup loss

topbananas

Nothing wrong with what Sammi said because he DID NOT put the blame on Burr.

Besides, he was bang on in what he did say...that the bite was just one of several things that woke up the sleeping bear. I thought it then and I still believe it now...Burrows bite, Lappy's finger taunt...Lui's "pumping his tires" post game interview...Rome's hit...all played a role in turning the tide.

I see Botchford running with the "Sammi blames Burr" story in the Province today. More stellar reporting by this rag of a paper that employs a bunch of hacks in their sports department!

Some questions on Samuelsson:

1. I take it Samuelsson didn't like being traded from a cup contender to a semi-budding franchise. Is that why he had not such a high opinion on management here? Aw, poor guy.

2. So, why this talk from him about our playoff loss now, and not a season ago? Were these past playoffs so boring that we still have to talk about the one prior? Or is there nobody in Florida to care what he thinks?

3. Why is it to point fingers at your teammates when you're in the pressbox? That doesn't seem very classy to me, even if Burrows did something wrong.

Will be nice to see Samuelsson back in the red jersey! I tried to iron out some of the quirks in the first half of the interview with this favorite player of mine:

“Hoped that Detroit wanted me”

Samuelsson longed for Hockey Town

He left the Detroit Red Wings as a free agent in 2009. Earlier this month, Mikael Samuelsson took the same route back to the club where he was a part of a Stanley Cup winning team in 2008. For hockeysverige.se he reveals that it was the plan all along.

- Detroit wanted me and that was exactly what I wanted, says Samuelsson.

One of our most experienced NHL players is Mikael Samuelsson, 35 from Sörmland. He made his debut for the San Jose Sharks already back in the 2000/01 season. Since then he has played 669 NHL games and scored 342 points for the Sharks, New York Rangers, Pittsburgh Penguins, Florida Panthers, Detroit Red Wings and Vancouver Canucks.

His last season began in Vancouver and ended in the Florida Panthers. When the next seasons start he has left behind the sun and heat in Florida. New-old address will be Detroit, which is his seventh transfer in twelve seasons.

- First, there is a difference if you get traded during the season, or as now when I switch to Detroit between two seasons. During the season, everything is going so fast. Especially that last year when the change also was one of the furthest one can do in the NHL, Mikael Samuelsson says laughing when hockeysverige.se gets a chat with him.

- As the only player, it's not that big of a change right away, it puts more strain on the family who got to break up from everything. It’s different when I chose to move back to Detroit. There we already know what to expect.

- All things considered it’s not a big problem as you already accepted trades as part of the deal when becoming a NHL player. You just have to continue to do your job the best you can.

Enjoyed the company of the Sedins

During his last stint in Detroit Red Wings Mikael Samuelsson scored between 34 and 45 points per season. He had his best scoring seasons in the Vancouver Canucks jersey.

- I had a little different role in Vancouver. But scoring-wise there’s really not that much difference. I scored little over 50 points per season there.

- First season for the Canucks was a bit up and down, but the second season I was playing with the Sedins. That gave me, among other things, a lot of time in powerplay. If you do not score a lot then, you have no business being on the special team. You can’t fail no matter how little talent you have..

Some questions on Samuelsson:

1. I take it Samuelsson didn't like being traded from a cup contender to a semi-budding franchise. Is that why he had not such a high opinion on management here? Aw, poor guy.

2. So, why this talk from him about our playoff loss now, and not a season ago? Were these past playoffs so boring that we still have to talk about the one prior? Or is there nobody in Florida to care what he thinks?

3. Why is it to point fingers at your teammates when you're in the pressbox? That doesn't seem very classy to me, even if Burrows did something wrong.

this was what i was expecting but he never says its burr's fault. He does say Burr biting Bergeron got the Bruins mad. Well, so what. If it wasn't that they would have found some other excuse. Canucks should have found their own reason to get mad.

1. The guy has been traded 7 times. He was traded from Detroit (right after they won the Cup) to a team that hadn’t got past the second round for ages. And you think his assessment of Vancouver management is sour grapes for being traded?

2. This is an interview for a Swedish hockey site that just happened to find its way to these boards. How many interviews with Samuelsson have you seen in US/Canadian media? Samuelsson is not known for being shy with his honest opinion.

3. He is not really pointing fingers at Burrows imo. He is merely stating his opinion that the biting event turned out to be contra productive for the team.

4. Why are you so ****hurt about Samuelsson speaking his mind?

As he should - in hindsight if we just kept it to a skilled game and didn't bother with any of this rubbish after whistles we would have won the Cup. Give credit to Boston - they executed their game plan perfectly. The only way they were going to beat a team as deep and skilled as the Canucks was to drag them down to their dirty level and they did that.

The reason the Canucks were beaten by Chicago 2 years in a row was the exact same way Boston beat us, and we had managed to keep that stuff out of our game so well up until the SCF. Disappointing our team and coaches couldn't keep it going for 7 more games.

1. Jeez, it was just posted that he did have sour grapes about being traded... during the season. It was difficult for him? Yup.

2. No sht.

3. He should be a bit more classy and keep his yap shut. But like i said, nobody in Florida seemed to care. In Detroit, they're going to ask about their rival Canucks, not the Panthers.

4. See above.

Right,we have a GM who throws his players under the bus but a player is not allowed to speak his mind?

We are on a forum blabbing all day long but an actual NHL player is not allowed to voice his own opinions?

You might want to take your own advice and keep your own yap from flapping-especially as you have no clue what basis Samuelsson is deriving his comments upon.

My guess is that as an actual NHL player he may have an opinion worth listening to.

It was actually fun making heads/tails of the translation...you can see how the language is structured differently.

As for what players think of other players, or of anything, it's only mildly interesting.

...I'd much rather be playing or watching hockey.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived