Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Dan Ellis wants back up job with Canucks.

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#1 vancanfan

vancanfan

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,516 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:35 AM

http://www.theprovin...9600/story.html

Dan Ellis has opinions and isn’t afraid to express them through various means.
Nearly two years ago, the goaltender vented via his Twitter account about a personal level of frustration regarding the 24-per-cent pay cut that was part of the expiring collective bargaining agreement.
It was met with a public backlash and he retracted the statement.
Earlier this week, the unrestricted free agent took to his email account and reached out to this reporter to trumpet how good a fit he would be as a backup to Cory Schneider next NHL season.
How much game the 32-year-old stopper has left after appearing in just 10 games last season behind Anaheim Ducks workhorse Jonas Hiller is debatable. Especially after undergoing hernia surgery in February.
But his willingness to sell himself isn’t up for debate.
“I would love to back up Cory if the spot becomes available,” Ellis said in the email. “Helping young goalies get to their full potential is fun to be a part of. Sometimes just lightening their load makes all the difference in the world.”
As Vancouver management mulls over trade offers for Roberto Luongo — while also waiting to see next week whether coveted UFA winger Shane Doan remains in Phoenix or considers the Canucks the cream of 16 suitors — there are options to bridge the goaltending gap until Eddie Lack is ready to be a prime-time crease companion for Schneider.
Some are less expensive than Ellis, who pocketed $1.5 million US for going just 1-5-0 with a 2.72 goals-against average and .911 saves percentage.
He’s far removed from a career-best 23-10-3 season with the Nashville Predators in 2007-08 that included a 2.34 GAA, .924 saves percentage and then spectacular postseason showings against the Detroit Red Wings, including a 52-save performance in a 2-1 overtime loss during the six-game series setback.
Ellis and Schneider share something in common in being represented by agent Mike Liut, but Ellis said there hasn’t been contact with the Canucks since free agency commenced. So, he’s selling himself.
“I’m still looking and there are some options in Europe, but I think I’ve got more than enough to give in the NHL,” Ellis said Wednesday from his offseason home in Omaha, Neb.
“That [Europe] is not an avenue I want to look into just yet. I’ve been in the NHL for five years and every year it seems like I’ve been in a 1A and 1B situation.”
In his first season with the Predators, Ellis worked with Chris Mason and then wrestled away the starting role.
In 2008-09 it was Pekka Rinne who reversed the situation before Ellis worked in tandem with Mike Smith and Dwayne Roloson in Tampa and then Hiller in Anaheim.
“I’ve been able to push my partner but also help make him better,” Ellis added.
“And I understand my role. I knew Hiller was the guy. Rather than trying to steal the net, you try to provide minutes but help your partner be the best he can be. It’s a different dynamic, but when the role is clarified, it’s a lot easier.
“The 1A and 1B can change and there’s a different mindset and every single game you don’t know what’s going to happen. Knowing Pekka and Jonas [were starters] you’re able to adapt to that and manage your game.”
Ellis believes he’ll adapt better next season following the surgery that allowed him to return to the crease for the final week of the regular season.
The procedure was the end result of a November groin pull that became a tear because Ellis returned in a week after the initial pull to spell the workhorse Hiller. But the condition worsened.
“Hiller seemed to be getting tired because he was playing every night,” Ellis said of the starter who, along with Rinne, logged a league high 73 games.
“I battled through a couple of months and took meds but eventually the groin just kind of gave way and snapped off. I feel better now and more flexible than I did before.”
The Canucks can go a number of ways to find the right fit for Schneider.
The UFA market is shallow and aging and includes under-performers in former Canucks Alex Auld (31, $1 million) and Brent Johnson (35, $600,000) as well as Marty Turco (36, $600,000).
The Canucks could take a goaltender back in a Luongo swap or trade for one, especially if Phoenix is willing to part with former Canuck Jason LaBarbera, 32, who has a year left at $1.25 million.
Then again, Ellis might be a financial fit, too. Especially if he’s willing to take less and a short term to accommodate Lack’s learning curve.
“Whatever is best for the team,” stressed Ellis, who has kept in contact with former Predators teammate Dan Hamhuis.
“I’ve never been a guy who chased the money. Winning replaces any amount of money. I’m at the point where I want to help a team win the Stanley Cup with whatever role that is. I feel I can bring those quality

I like Ellis, could be a good fit as a backup to CS if RL is dealt.

Edited by vancanfan, 12 July 2012 - 06:41 AM.

#2 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,147 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:46 AM

POPULAR

I don't want us to have to rely on guys like Theodore, Ellis and Huet if Schneider plays badly and doesn't cope well with 60-70 games which is a VERY likely outcome.

Keep Luongo or this team is going to go through some dark times with 2 struggling goalies. We've got something good here, don't tamper with it MG. Better to have 2 great goalies working a tandem perfectly at 9 million than a "starting goalie" struggling with a heavy workload and a backup who has moved around the league because he's so terrible for 6 million.
Posted Image

#3 Vapourstreak

Vapourstreak

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:53 AM

I don't want us to have to rely on guys like Theodore, Ellis and Huet if Schneider plays badly and doesn't cope well with 60-70 games which is a VERY likely outcome.

Keep Luongo or this team is going to go through some dark times with 2 struggling goalies. We've got something good here, don't tamper with it MG. Better to have 2 great goalies working a tandem perfectly at 9 million than a "starting goalie" struggling with a heavy workload and a backup who has moved around the league because he's so terrible for 6 million.

Reminds me of the times when we kept getting new backupsfor like, years. Sanford, Noronen, Ouellet, Sabourin, Raycroft. I'm sure there are a lot more.

#4 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,666 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:27 AM

Don't we have to trade Luongo first before getting a backup?
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#5 The Sedin's 6th Sense

The Sedin's 6th Sense

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,431 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:28 AM

Don't want him.....he sucks.

Posted Image

"You know what my favourite Super Bowl is? The next one."

- Tom Brady

#6 Tanev's Smirk

Tanev's Smirk

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:43 AM

Don't we have to trade Luongo first before getting a backup?

Well technically Luongo is the back up.

#7 Pistachios

Pistachios

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:46 AM

POPULAR

Luo has publicly stated that it is time to move on. He isn't a back up either, and yet you want to force him to be? Talk about creating awkward tension in the locker room. Your idea won't work.
lZqI3g.gif

#8 ABurrows14

ABurrows14

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:02 AM

POPULAR

WOW, JUST PLAIN OL WOW!!!

Can you say WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA?

When are you Lou lovers going to wake up?

1. He asked for a trade bec his ego was bruised in the playoffs last year for posting a sub .900 save percentage and being replaced- and yes he asked for one, not in those words but suggested it...

2. He then asked for one in those words this year

3. He'd rather being playing poker in Oct than playing in net

4. Get out of your state of denial - he is going and he wants to go bec he has zero mental toughness and a huge ego.

#9 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 31,539 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:26 AM

Read, "Dan Ellis wants a backup job, period."

Sorry. You're likely going to europe.
Posted Image

#10 Mr. White

Mr. White

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:33 AM

POPULAR

Luongo isn't coming back people. And Schneider isn't going to choke
Posted Image
^VanCauck93^

#11 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:25 AM

Hooray for crystal balls.
PSN: CloakOfSkill

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists somewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

View Postbahkwan, on 03 December 2010 - 12:55 PM, said:

It bugs me when people pull out the gold medal for an example... Luongo only had to outplay Brodeur.

#12 JasetheCanuck

JasetheCanuck

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:27 AM

regardless of Schneider choking or not, he will still need a backup in the likely scenario that Luongo leaves. that being said, i think there are probably better options for backups, that we can obtain through trade hopefully.

Posted Image

Ebbett is as useful as a North Korean ballot box.

#13 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 25,406 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:31 AM

POPULAR

Doesn't make sense to have a $5.5 million dollar backup guys. Luongo is not going to be our backup.

I don't quite trust Ellis to be the guy though. I'd much prefer Theodore.
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#14 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:42 AM

I don't know why, but "the cream of 16 suitors" makes me laugh.
Posted Image

#15 Garrett-6

Garrett-6

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:47 AM

Luongo is gone, he cant come back after everything that has been said
Posted Image

#16 Monteeun

Monteeun

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,077 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:05 AM

WOW, JUST PLAIN OL WOW!!!

Can you say WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA?

When are you Lou lovers going to wake up?

1. He asked for a trade bec his ego was bruised in the playoffs last year for posting a sub .900 save percentage and being replaced- and yes he asked for one, not in those words but suggested it...

4. Get out of your state of denial - he is going and he wants to go bec he has zero mental toughness and a huge ego.

lol you're so full of crap :P

BAD MOVE!!!

BAD FING MOVE

HAHAHA ANOTHER INJURED MORON ON OUR TEAM

HE WILL JOIN US IN 2019

Benning will be fired next year. Hope he enjoys screwing around for a few months. I just cant believe this. Another injured BC player. We just got rid of garrison. Seems like the canucks and linden just wanted any BC born player. Doesn't matter if hes good or not. We don't need another Linden to get us to game 7 of the Stanley cup and lose. We need someone to win us a cup.

5 million a year for Vrbata? 6 million for Miller? Kesler for Bonino and 24th instead of 10th pick or one of their top prospects? Garrison for scraps?

ive already lost faith in JB. Ive never EVER had this bad of a feeling about management.

#17 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,289 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:09 AM

Eddie Lack might be ready. But just for this year a Veteran like Theodore would be good to back-up Schneider.

Subbancopy.jpg

#18 Deets

Deets

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:40 AM

OHHhhhh, I thought it said Sailors!!! :frantic:

#19 Not A Fruit

Not A Fruit

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:53 AM

POPULAR

I'm tired of your posts, Luongo is done here, deal with it. I'm sure Mike Gillis knows what he is doing and could do a better job than you.
Posted Image
Special Thanks to Twilight Sparkle ^

#20 sirwilliam

sirwilliam

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:55 AM

I think Ellis realizes he can thrive in the Canucks system. Look at Raycroft, LaBarbera... it's a goalie friendly system. I think he'd do alright here
Posted Image

#21 SukhKular

SukhKular

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:02 AM

POPULAR

He never asked for a trade. He's just not an idiot and can see that the team wanted to go with Cory and he said he wouldn't stand in the way of that.

He never asked for a trade. (Isn't this the same as number 1?)

He's in the WSOP because he's an avid poker player. He doesn't consider himself to be of the best in the world and I'm sure he plans to be playing hockey in October.

This point is just your opinion. He probably is going but it's not because of a huge ego.

BTW: It might not be as "likely" as the OP but still possible for Schnieds to s**t the bed.

Edited by SukhKular, 12 July 2012 - 11:06 AM.

I'm saying Aladeen a lot because http://forum.canucks...dpost__10922428

I bet when Schneider turns 38, he will have broken all of Luongo's records.

Posted Image

General Manager of Buffalo Sabres; CDC Omega League; CM Connected; NHL 13; [[[[PS3]]]]

#22 Hedman

Hedman

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:06 AM

If we are looking at back-up alternatives through FA, Ellis is the best alternative IMO. His situation reminds me a little bit of Raycrofts situation when he came here. I think he could be a decent back-up here, just like Raycroft was.

#23 Cr8zyCanuck

Cr8zyCanuck

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:19 AM

“I’ve never been a guy who chased the money. Winning replaces any amount of money. I’m at the point where I want to help a team win the Stanley Cup with whatever role that is. I feel I can bring those quality

THAT! Right there! That's the kind of backup we need character wise. Now all we have to do is go look for one that hasn't destroyed his groin and can still play.

#24 Cr8zyCanuck

Cr8zyCanuck

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:23 AM

If we are looking at back-up alternatives through FA, Ellis is the best alternative IMO. His situation reminds me a little bit of Raycrofts situation when he came here. I think he could be a decent back-up here, just like Raycroft was.

Raycroft was always supposed to be "more". We had this massive press conference for him, and for what? He was in and out faster than a premature ej%$#2#ter.

Edited by Cr8zyCanuck, 12 July 2012 - 11:23 AM.

#25 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,575 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:23 AM

He'd be a pretty decent backup.
Has proven he is capable of playing 30+ games, and had fantastic numbers when playing behind Nashville a few years ago. No reason he couldn't replicate those behind a solid Canucks team.
I would be happy with this.
Posted Image

#26 Gonz

Gonz

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:36 AM

POPULAR

It's people like this guy who make this city a goalies grave. Season hasn't started and he's already negative towards Cory Schnieder.

#27 Kerry Park Islanders

Kerry Park Islanders

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:52 AM

Lou is fragile. You see it in every interview.

#28 ButterBean

ButterBean

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:59 AM

Luongo is as good as gone, get over it. We need assets coming back for him if we actually want to compete for the cup.

#29 Bang Bang Boogie

Bang Bang Boogie

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,043 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:03 PM

I'm not sure how you got any pluses for such a poorly thought out post.

Having 9m tied up in a position where only one player plays at a time is a terrible waste of cap space and poor cap management. Why not use the extra cap room to get a solid defender or a top six forward? If Luongo or Schneider (most likely Schneider) does not get moved, MG has failed.
Posted Image

#30 AFrame14

AFrame14

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:06 PM

Keepin Lou won't work. He's going to be traded. I don't know why people keep saying/ hoping Cory and Lou will both be back. Cory is our number one goalie. Have faith, he can and will perform for the Canucks in 60+ games.. I still want theadore as our back up but Ellis , heut would also be fine.. Lack should be a starter for one more year in the ahl
NUCKS FOR THE CUP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.