Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Dan Ellis wants back up job with Canucks.

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#31 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:15 PM

Just wait untill fatigue kicks in on Schneider, and everyone will be shaking their heads, PANIC BUTTON.

Posted Image

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup, 12 July 2012 - 12:17 PM.

Eh8NO.jpg

Trevor Linden Quote Nov. 29th 2012 [Asked if he would return to the game?]
"The game has been with me for a long time, if the right opportunity came about, you never know"

#32 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:19 PM

Just wait till fatigue kicks in on Schneider, and everyone will be shaking their heads, PANIC BUTTON.

Posted Image

Not really, I think there are some rabid Lu supporters that are drooling at the chance to rag on Cory and the rest will be "I told you CDC hates goalies" Foam blaaargg garblebarble

That said while I'd prefer to keep the young guy, but if there was a trade that put us over the top and it mean lose Cory and keep Lu, I would be okay with that.

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#33 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:34 PM

I don't want us to have to rely on guys like Theodore, Ellis and Huet if Schneider plays badly and doesn't cope well with 60-70 games which is a VERY likely outcome.

Keep Luongo or this team is going to go through some dark times with 2 struggling goalies. We've got something good here, don't tamper with it MG. Better to have 2 great goalies working a tandem perfectly at 9 million than a "starting goalie" struggling with a heavy workload and a backup who has moved around the league because he's so terrible for 6 million.

Don;t be so be such a downner,,,schneider will be fine...We will get a capable backup.. quit dreaming Luongo thoughts

#34 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:35 PM

Just wait untill fatigue kicks in on Schneider, and everyone will be shaking their heads, PANIC BUTTON.

Posted Image

and you know this is going to happen how?

#35 John.Tallhouse

John.Tallhouse

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:41 PM

Eddie Lack might be ready. But just for this year a Veteran like Theodore would be good to back-up Schneider.

Posted Image

#36 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:48 PM

I don't want us to have to rely on guys like Theodore, Ellis and Huet if Schneider plays badly and doesn't cope well with 60-70 games which is a VERY likely outcome.

Keep Luongo or this team is going to go through some dark times with 2 struggling goalies. We've got something good here, don't tamper with it MG. Better to have 2 great goalies working a tandem perfectly at 9 million than a "starting goalie" struggling with a heavy workload and a backup who has moved around the league because he's so terrible for 6 million.

Trading Luongo is the only option now realistically. There are cap reasons and reasons for bringing in assets for the defence or forward group now or for the future as well, which Luongo can be turned into.

The decision has been made. Let it go. Clinging to some false hope that both will stay will only fuel your own frustration. Cory's the guy, he was given the contract and agreed to sign in order to be 'the guy' and Luongo knows that too, is looking to be 'the guy' for a little while longer elsewhere as well.

As a fan, i wish both could stay, but as a fan that also considers the real world reality that this sport is a business and looking forward to the future is just as important as the here and now, i know that the dynamic duo can't and won't be kept around. All we can hope is that the return tempers our feelings of loss, i suppose.

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#37 John.Tallhouse

John.Tallhouse

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:50 PM

Its quiet possible, I love schnieder but he is still "unproven" in some respects, I'm hoping he can be the star we've all seen but one has to think of the possibility of him not performing so well, some fans think were losing our best player in luongo and the way some of the fans have treated him, maybe that karma will come back on us and Corey will just flop mid-season and we'll be mocking him from the stands... not to be negative, again im a fan who knows its time for bobby to move on , but at least we knew his worth & I dont know if we know Coreys yet... Either way i think we have to support out goalies a bit better, when the fans mock and hate on our goalie like the Canucks media and some fans do, i think eventually even the players might lose respect or trust for him, lets just ride this out and not lay blame on anyone this time maybe... or is that to much to ask?
Posted Image

#38 Patrick Kane

Patrick Kane

Canucks Franchise Player

• Assistant to Regional Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,156 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:55 PM

Ellis would do great in a back-up role with the Canucks

You will be missed.

#39 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:55 PM

Because he hasn't been a full time starting goalie for 3 years now, and has been a backup for about 3 years, so his work load has dropped big time from when he played in the AHL. Being a starting goalie in the NHL is a lot different then being a starting goalie in the AHL, and not being a starting goalie for 3 years now will affect him one way or another. I believe the fatigue will catch up to him after about 35-40 games. He wont be having these 6-10 game breaks like he has been as a back up, he will be playing 6-10 games straight and it will take him time to get used to it again, obviously not right away, but 35-40 games in, it will start to catch up to him. This is a learning experience for Cory this year, he will learn a lot being a starting goalie, things he will find out he never knew, but these things will make him just that much of a better goalie in the future. I really hope Cory does well and I do believe he has the ability to be really great, just am I expecting him to be the best goalie in the league in his first year as a starting goalie? no, I believe in time he could easily be, but not in his first year as a starting goalie. Like I said it's a learning experience now for Cory, and he will struggle at times, but these are things he will learn from, but when that does happen CDC will be in a panic.

Eh8NO.jpg

Trevor Linden Quote Nov. 29th 2012 [Asked if he would return to the game?]
"The game has been with me for a long time, if the right opportunity came about, you never know"

#40 *vInTaGe*

*vInTaGe*

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,408 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:08 PM

I'd take him, I think he'd be a really solid backup.

Posted Image

#41 John.Tallhouse

John.Tallhouse

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:15 PM

Because he hasn't been a full time starting goalie for 3 years now, and has been a backup for about 3 years, so his work load has dropped big time from when he played in the AHL. Being a starting goalie in the NHL is a lot different then being a starting goalie in the AHL, and not being a starting goalie for 3 years now will affect him one way or another. I believe the fatigue will catch up to him after about 35-40 games. He wont be having these 6-10 game breaks like he has been as a back up, he will be playing 6-10 games straight and it will take him time to get used to it again, obviously not right away, but 35-40 games in, it will start to catch up to him. This is a learning experience for Cory this year, he will learn a lot being a starting goalie, things he will find out he never knew, but these things will make him just that much of a better goalie in the future. I really hope Cory does well and I do believe he has the ability to be really great, just am I expecting him to be the best goalie in the league in his first year as a starting goalie? no, I believe in time he could easily be, but not in his first year as a starting goalie. Like I said it's a learning experience now for Cory, and he will struggle at times, but these are things he will learn from, but when that does happen CDC will be in a panic.

While I do agree with you, I do also think Cory can come out and have a tremendous year, maybe even steal a Vesna if he plays too his potential. we just have to be prepared for the worst but expect the best :towel:
Posted Image

#42 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,091 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:29 PM

Schneider is immune to any criticism? He will be thrown under the bus by the morons in this market, without a doubt
Posted Image

#43 John.Tallhouse

John.Tallhouse

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:32 PM

Can't wait for all the jokes about Schneider watching his job and his back when/if our back-up gets on a hot-streak this season.
Posted Image

#44 Vlas=d

Vlas=d

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:37 PM

seriously what the hell is wrong with people thinking Schneider is going to struggle? There is no way that he stumbles or falters at any point next year. Do you not remember last year? He had maybe one so so game the entire year and thrived when arguably the season was on the line, mid point of the season, and then when the season was on the line he played unbelievable. He is going to compete for the Vezina next year.

#45 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,672 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:39 PM

Eddie Lack

#DanEllisproblems

#46 Machine Gun Kelly

Machine Gun Kelly

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:39 PM

I just want this saga to end..
Posted Image

#47 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,091 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:40 PM

seriously what the hell is wrong with people thinking Schneider is going to struggle? There is no way that he stumbles or falters at any point next year. Do you not remember last year? He had maybe one so so game the entire year and thrived when arguably the season was on the line, mid point of the season, and then when the season was on the line he played unbelievable. He is going to compete for the Vezina next year.

Settle down and let him put together more than half a season together before making such bold predictions
Posted Image

#48 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:43 PM

No matter how many different ways you try to beat the panic drum, you are going to have to accept that your Luongo jersey is now out of date.

I am fine with Schneider struggling a little during the regular season. In fact, it'll be good for him. it would be stupid to have a $5.3M insurance policy that doesn't want to be a back up.

But as we all know, you will be leading the "I told you so" charge when he has a bad run. It's typical of this site and the media clowns. I'll take that over average playoff goaltending.
After a few days here, I am surprised half of you got the anti-bot question correct to register for this site.

#49 John.Tallhouse

John.Tallhouse

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:47 PM

Settle down and let him put together more than half a season together before making such bold predictions

Didn't you hear?, Schneider's set for 82 shut outs.... :frantic:
Posted Image

#50 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:50 PM

You should prepare yourself in advance for CS having a some bad stretches. You know, like most goalies do.
After a few days here, I am surprised half of you got the anti-bot question correct to register for this site.

#51 John.Tallhouse

John.Tallhouse

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:58 PM

I think even Schneider is prepared for the worst, any hockey fan or player knows that its not easy to win a cup and you can't expect anything, you gotta work your balls off and yes their are some hard times in a season for every player and every team, I think Schneider would benefit from being taken off the pedestal.
Posted Image

#52 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,091 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:01 PM

You should prepare yourself in advance for CS having a some bad stretches. You know, like most goalies do.

He will have those stretches without a doubt. And he will need some sort of flame shield to deal with all the criticism once this offence manages 1.33 goals in the playoffs and we lose.
Posted Image

#53 Nicklasjensen46

Nicklasjensen46

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:06 PM

i see no reason why a few goalies like huet, ellis, turco could accept a PTO and battle lack for the backup job. The team always says they will play the guy who is doing better.

My 2012 Canucks
Sedin Sedin Burrows
Higgins Kesler Hodgson
Sturm Malhotra Hansen
Sammuelson Lapiere Oreskovich

Hamhuis Bieska
Edler Salo
Tanev Ballard
Luongo Schnieder

#54 Kesler's Nose

Kesler's Nose

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:34 PM

Still have to make some kind of trade if we wanna land Doan.. Apparently Raymond is supposed to be staying, so I don't see what other options to free cap space there really are? :wacko:

"It's an opportunity, we don't look at it as a last chance... We look at it as an opportunity to do something great. We are going to take it period by period, shift by shift. You just have to be better than the guy across from you... Every guy in this locker room I can say believes we can do this." - Ryan Kesler

Posted Image

#55 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,304 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:58 PM

The solution is obvious as I have stated before, keep lou and schnieds and change them up EVERY goal :bigblush:
Posted Image

#56 Danthecanucksfan

Danthecanucksfan

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:40 PM

I would like Ellis, I actually didn't even know he was available. I'd also give Turco the job if he is willing to play some more years.

#57 5minutesinthebox

5minutesinthebox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,675 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:59 PM

Posted Image

Why should he fatigue worse than anyone else? Schnieder has actually played over 80 games one season and 70 games the next. Why do people act like he has never carried the load?

#58 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:05 PM

They dont want to work in tandem, neither one of them wants to be a backup or do an even split. Not only that but it's a waste of cap space having two #1s.
Dont worry about it so much, the team is in capable hands with Cory and the world will not end when Luongo is in another team's uniform letting in softies.
You gotta let him go man, Luongo is as good as gone...I'm sorry.

#59 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:11 PM

He never asked for a trade. He's just not an idiot and can see that the team wanted to go with Cory and he said he wouldn't stand in the way of that.

He never asked for a trade. (Isn't this the same as number 1?)

He's in the WSOP because he's an avid poker player. He doesn't consider himself to be of the best in the world and I'm sure he plans to be playing hockey in October.

This point is just your opinion. He probably is going but it's not because of a huge ego.

BTW: It might not be as "likely" as the OP but still possible for Schnieds to s**t the bed.

C'mon, he never shows up in October.

#60 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,601 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:13 PM

MAKE IT HAPPEN IF ONLY FOR MORE #DanEllisProblems

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.