Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Dan Ellis wants back up job with Canucks.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
96 replies to this topic

#61 VanIsleNuckFan

VanIsleNuckFan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:16 PM

Reminds me of the times when we kept getting new backupsfor like, years. Sanford, Noronen, Ouellet, Sabourin, Raycroft. I'm sure there are a lot more.

Hedberg, Skudra, um... the bald guy with the gotee from a few years back that was a huge Canucks fan growing up...what's his name....

#62 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,040 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:20 PM

Doesn't make sense to have a $5.5 million dollar backup guys. Luongo is not going to be our backup.

I don't quite trust Ellis to be the guy though. I'd much prefer Theodore.

^yep

It's become quite evident that having Luongo on the team has become untenable. The situation has just gotten to the point where the relationship cannot be mended.

It's time to move on.

RIP LB RR PD

#63 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,886 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:21 PM

Schneider is immune to any criticism? He will be thrown under the bus by the morons in this market, without a doubt

A couple of sub-par regular season games here and there isn't going to get Cory thrown under the bus. What are you basing this on?
If you are basing this on how the fans have turned on Luongo, well that took several playoff disappointments.
Cory will be just fine.

#64 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,560 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:53 PM

Can't say it wouldn't be bad to have 5 million or less spent on goaltending and focus on our top-6/Defense.

Chicago won the cup with Niemi, I believe we could win it in the same situation as them.

5577747361_37d631069c_m.jpg

#65 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,028 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:17 PM

Raycroft was always supposed to be "more". We had this massive press conference for him, and for what? He was in and out faster than a premature ej%$#2#ter.

You're on crack, he was brought in to play back up and was great. He went 9-5-1 (21 games) and played terrrific for us in relief when Lou had a couple bad games. Schnieder came in next year. I simply can't believe guys that bash a back up goalie who wins 65% of the games he plays and has a .911 save percentage. If he played at 82 games that year at that pace we would have got 107 points. The stupidty amazes me sometimes.

Un "freaking" believable.

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#66 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,963 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:40 PM

A couple of sub-par regular season games here and there isn't going to get Cory thrown under the bus. What are you basing this on?
If you are basing this on how the fans have turned on Luongo, well that took several playoff disappointments.
Cory will be just fine.

It gets Luongo thrown under the bus and it's not even November.

If this team fails to succeed, he WILL get blamed, even if he shouldn't.
Posted Image

#67 thehamburglar

thehamburglar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:25 PM

Luongo isn't coming back people. And Schneider isn't going to choke

Both you don't know.
Posted Image

#68 theoneandonlyBILL

theoneandonlyBILL

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:40 PM

littel bit of Ellis and a littel bit of Lack with a lot of Cory would be awesome.

#69 Kesheniel

Kesheniel

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:30 PM

I don't want us to have to rely on guys like Theodore, Ellis and Huet if Schneider plays badly and doesn't cope well with 60-70 games which is a VERY likely outcome.

Keep Luongo or this team is going to go through some dark times with 2 struggling goalies. We've got something good here, don't tamper with it MG. Better to have 2 great goalies working a tandem perfectly at 9 million than a "starting goalie" struggling with a heavy workload and a backup who has moved around the league because he's so terrible for 6 million.

I usually love your posts even if I don't agree with them because you actually think things out logically instead of getting emotional and negative. This post was different. I don't think this team will go through "dark times" with Cory as the starter and Luongo gone. I do think it's going to be very hard on Schnieder if he has to play 70 games plus a full playoff run though. I think if we want to have a smooth run in any way, shape or form we need to get a backup through trade or FA that can play at least 20 games.

#70 SwedishCrowns

SwedishCrowns

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:16 PM

No, I don't want a goof goalie here

#71 GHL

GHL

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:26 PM

Well technically Luongo is the back up.

Well practically, until Luongo is traded, Schneider is still the backup.

Posted Image

#72 SwedishCrowns

SwedishCrowns

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:39 PM

LETS SIGN DOMINIK HASEK!!!!!!!!

#73 canucks411

canucks411

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:41 PM

A backup goalie on his way out and on the decline (yes decline, look at his stats), emails a reporter saying he wants to be a backup in Vancouver now 3/4 of CDC would love to have him? Give me a break

Edited by canucks411, 12 July 2012 - 08:42 PM.

Posted Image
Thanks Ballard_4 for the sig!

#74 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,200 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:16 PM

Because he hasn't been a full time starting goalie for 3 years now, and has been a backup for about 3 years, so his work load has dropped big time from when he played in the AHL. Being a starting goalie in the NHL is a lot different then being a starting goalie in the AHL, and not being a starting goalie for 3 years now will affect him one way or another. I believe the fatigue will catch up to him after about 35-40 games. He wont be having these 6-10 game breaks like he has been as a back up, he will be playing 6-10 games straight and it will take him time to get used to it again, obviously not right away, but 35-40 games in, it will start to catch up to him. This is a learning experience for Cory this year, he will learn a lot being a starting goalie, things he will find out he never knew, but these things will make him just that much of a better goalie in the future. I really hope Cory does well and I do believe he has the ability to be really great, just am I expecting him to be the best goalie in the league in his first year as a starting goalie? no, I believe in time he could easily be, but not in his first year as a starting goalie. Like I said it's a learning experience now for Cory, and he will struggle at times, but these are things he will learn from, but when that does happen CDC will be in a panic.

Dude, unless you've been an AHL/NHL goalie, be quiet--you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about on such matters. In order to even make the team all Canucks players have to be in AMAZING physical shape. If he wasn't assessed by the professionals on the Canucks staff to be physically fit enough to string together 50-60 games, they would have never signed him to a starter's contract in a million years.

Unless you were talking about it mentally, in which case you have no idea what you're talking about either. In all the games I've seen Schneider, not once has he gotten rattled, even after letting in the rare bad goal. All this "oh man I figure he'll wear out by 35 games" crap is pure speculation at best.

Edited by Moonshinefe, 12 July 2012 - 09:20 PM.

#75 Yung Pony

Yung Pony

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:20 PM

schnider will be fine play 60 - 70 games and no one wants ellis
Posted Image

#76 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,200 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:22 PM

I don't want us to have to rely on guys like Theodore, Ellis and Huet if Schneider plays badly and doesn't cope well with 60-70 games which is a VERY likely outcome.

Keep Luongo or this team is going to go through some dark times with 2 struggling goalies. We've got something good here, don't tamper with it MG. Better to have 2 great goalies working a tandem perfectly at 9 million than a "starting goalie" struggling with a heavy workload and a backup who has moved around the league because he's so terrible for 6 million.

How do you know it's a VERY likely outcome? Can you see into the future? Did you see something in Schneider's play last season that would indicate he simply can't handle more games? Your mindless hate-on for Schneider is getting really tiresome.

Edited by Moonshinefe, 12 July 2012 - 09:23 PM.

#77 G.K. Chesterton

G.K. Chesterton

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,112 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:28 PM

32? Wow! I didn't realize he was so old.
“Reason is itself a matter of faith. It is an act of faith to assert that our thoughts have any relation to reality at all.” - G.K. Chesterton

“Unbelief is as much of a choice as belief is. What makes it in many ways more appealing is that whereas to believe in something requires some measure of understanding and effort, not to believe doesn't require much of anything at all.” - Frederick Buechner

“All human nature vigorously resists grace because grace changes us and the change is painful.” - Flannery O'Connor

“My argument against God was that the universe seemed so cruel and unjust. But how had I got this idea of just and unjust? A man does not call a line crooked unless he has some idea of a straight line. What was I comparing this universe with when I called it unjust?” - C.S. Lewis

#78 canuck cole

canuck cole

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:32 PM

How do you know it's a VERY likely outcome? Can you see into the future? Did you see something in Schneider's play last season that would indicate he simply can't handle more games? Your mindless hate-on for Schneider is getting really tiresome.

This.

#79 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:00 PM

The guy has a fantastic attitude! If the Canucks do not acquire a backup in a Luongo trade, I'd love to sign him. He seems like he genuinely knows his role and isn't out to compete with the starter, rather he just wants to help the guy ahead of him get better while filling in for him when needed. Perfect attitude for a backup. Really positive. I'm a fan.

#80 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:04 PM

I usually love your posts even if I don't agree with them because you actually think things out logically instead of getting emotional and negative. This post was different. I don't think this team will go through "dark times" with Cory as the starter and Luongo gone. I do think it's going to be very hard on Schnieder if he has to play 70 games plus a full playoff run though. I think if we want to have a smooth run in any way, shape or form we need to get a backup through trade or FA that can play at least 20 games.

Jonathan Quick played 69 games this year - 4th in the league behind Rinne, Hiller and Kiprusoff - and went all the way to a Cup win. Granted, the Kings' run was quite hasty, but all in all that's still a lot of games played. If Schneider truly is a workhorse starting goalie, he'll be find playing around 70 games + the playoffs.

#81 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,121 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:46 PM

I would not want the Canucks to have to rely on these guys either. This being said, it would likely not be for more than a year, and only until Lack is ready to take over as the back-up (assuming he doesn't make it this year).

I suppose the counter to this is: assuming he is kept, what if Luongo also struggles, as you are assuming Schneider will if he were to become the starter?

Luongo has acknowledged that he wouldn't mind a trade. An advantage of trading Luongo is the potential of the additional assets coming back, plus the cap space from Luongo's contract (which is a good contract). This cap space could permit the Canucks the space needed to acquire Doan (assuming he chooses to sign here). With extra talent such as that, the puck will spend a lot more time at the other end of the ice which will take a lot of pressure off of any Canuck goalie.

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#82 dura_mater

dura_mater

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:58 AM

It's people like this guy who make this city a goalies grave. Season hasn't started and he's already negative towards Cory Schnieder.

You're completely clueless if you think these fans are the problem. It's the one's that have run Lou out of town, not the ones who are rightfully hesitant about having a guy who's never played a full season as our starter, going into the season.
"BoKnows53"
My stinky team isn't on top of the Standings anymore Waah waaahh, fire everyone because I say so

- New Era Canucks Fans

#83 allkill326

allkill326

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:08 AM

If Ellis signs with the Canucks, it'll be very similar to Sanford, who signed as a backup to Roberto Luongo in 2007-2008 season, telling how he wanted to learn a great deal from Bobby Lou.
Posted Image

#84 HockeyHobo73

HockeyHobo73

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:24 AM

as long as he plays better than the other Dan we used to have, then I say let's do it

#85 NLluvitorleaveit

NLluvitorleaveit

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:21 AM

If other NHL players don't want 2 play here and hes willing,I say sign him. :)
Be good for our ego.... B)

Edited by NLluvitorleaveit, 13 July 2012 - 11:22 AM.

10122810.jpg

#86 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:39 PM

Dude, unless you've been an AHL/NHL goalie, be quiet--you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about on such matters. In order to even make the team all Canucks players have to be in AMAZING physical shape. If he wasn't assessed by the professionals on the Canucks staff to be physically fit enough to string together 50-60 games, they would have never signed him to a starter's contract in a million years.

Unless you were talking about it mentally, in which case you have no idea what you're talking about either. In all the games I've seen Schneider, not once has he gotten rattled, even after letting in the rare bad goal. All this "oh man I figure he'll wear out by 35 games" crap is pure speculation at best.

Really dude? I know some of the most athletic people and they even say if they don't run long distance all the time, that when they go back to run long distance they have to pace themselves again, and aren't able to go all out and just run as long as they used to, even when they are in tremendous shape. Ya Cory is in great shape but he hasn't been a full time starter in 3 years, the work load is completely different then being a backup, and it will take some getting used to again, of course he will be able to handle it, but still the fact that fatigue will probably kick in on him is pretty high.

You could be in the best shape, but if you don't do something as often as you used to, and then all of a sudden jump right back into it like you used to, it catches up on you and you need to slow down and build yourself up again. But once again you just like to argue with people, and think you know it all because they are in great shape and no matter what because they are in great shape they are machines and never get tired, give your head a shake, HE WILL GET TIRED EVENTUALLY, just be prepared for it. And don't come crying on CDC that Cory isn't playing as well all of a sudden, and why did we trade Luongo, or why is Cory playing so many games he needs a break, just please don't be one of those complainers on CDC.

Eh8NO.jpg

Trevor Linden Quote Nov. 29th 2012 [Asked if he would return to the game?]
"The game has been with me for a long time, if the right opportunity came about, you never know"

#87 Canada Hockey Place

Canada Hockey Place

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:04 PM

Good week for Dan Ellis.

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. ... The American Hockey League announced today that Charlotte Checkers goaltender Dan Ellis has been selected as the CCM/AHL Player of the Week for the period ending Oct. 28, 2012.

Ellis was perfect in two appearances last week as the Checkers continued their season-opening road trip and held onto the best record in the Western Conference..........

.........Ellis, who signed a tryout with Charlotte on Sept. 24, 2012, is 3-0-1 in four appearances for the Checkers. He ranks second in the AHL with a 1.07 goals-against average and first with a .967 save percentage, allowing just four goals on 120 shots to date. The native of Saskatoon, Sask., returned to the AHL this fall after spending the last five seasons in the National Hockey League, where he led the league in save percentage in 2007-08 and shows a record of 72-57-15 with 12 shutouts in 165 games with Dallas, Nashville, Tampa Bay and Anaheim. Originally a second-round draft choice by Dallas in 2000, Ellis is 64-67-3 with 10 shutouts in 144 career AHL appearances.

Quando omni flunkus moritati

#88 Kevin Biestra

Kevin Biestra

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:46 PM

I don't know why, but "the cream of 16 suitors" makes me laugh.

I know why it makes me laugh.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Biestra speaks. Biestra educates.

Let Canucks management know you want King Richard Brodeur in the Ring of Honour with no further delay! He's been retired for 25 years!

http://forum.canucks...e-king-richard/

#89 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,146 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:48 PM

Lol, what's with the retrobump? Throw the article in proposals, it'll get discussion there.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#90 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,393 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:41 PM

Lack is ready to back up Schnieder.
Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.